Seeking Help Tata Sky Binge+ STB or Airtel Xstream STB

VVRChandra

Reaction score
Guys, This is my 1st post here.

Am already having Tata Sky HD+ PVR box . Want to go for Binge+ box by upgrading for Rs 5999-Rs1000= Rs4999/-
Since I don't have any issues till now with the HD PVR box, planning for upgrade.

My TV is LG 55SM9000 4K model. SInce the max resolution with the HD PVR is only 1080i, am planning for either Binge+ box or Airtel Xtreme Box , both of which are 4K capable in picture quality. Hooked up to TV is the LG soundbar SL8YG which is Dolby Atmos capable for Netflix content only as of now.

My only worry is quality of picture and sound. I mostly watch all the streaming services via my TV which has all the apps including the Apple TV+.

If I go for Airtel Xtreme, i can use my existing Prime subscription (Valid Till 6th Oct 2020), Hotstar subscription valid till June 2020 and Sunnxt valid till Jan 2021 along with Netflix. I use all the apps from TV. Also seeing posts concerning picture quality (colour issues) and lack of 5.1 on Amazon Prime, etc with Airtel Xtreme box. Are these any to worry if going for Airtel.

If I go for Binge+ box, I need to pay 249 to use any of these apps except Netflix (not available now) and also to watch the previous 7 days catch up TV feature (since used to recording facility in current box). Even after the current annual subscription plan for these apps is over, if I pay 249, will I be able to get full Prime benefits which include next day delivery as it is available currently. I mean full prime benefits and not just prime video only.

One way to avoid catch up TV is to watch them on Hotstar whenever wanted without recording.

Also, the initial cost for Airtel Xreme is Rs 2249(since I'm Airtel Broadband customer, I'm eligible for 2249 offer as informed by Airtel Broadband person).

If Airtel I need to change the complete setup from Dish, wiring and box , all for Rs 2249.

If its TataSky Binge+, it will be 4999 and just a box swap and may be LNB change as well to accommodate single wire from 2 cables of PVR box.

So pl suggest which is better among Tata Sky Binge+ and Airtel Xtreme. Main consideration is Picture quality and Sound Quality.

Pl move this to appropriate thread, if not relevant here.

Thanks in advance.

Venkata Ramesh Chandra V

Last edited:
Guys, This is my 1st post here.

Am already having Tata Sky HD+ PVR box . Want to go for Binge+ box by upgrading for Rs 5999-Rs1000= Rs4999/-
Since I don't have any issues till now with the HD PVR box, planning for upgrade.

My TV is LG 55SM9000 4K model. SInce the max resolution with the HD PVR is only 1080i, am planning for either Binge+ box or Airtel Xtreme Box , both of which are 4K capable in picture quality. Hooked up to TV is the LG soundbar SL8YG which is Dolby Atmos capable for Netflix content only as of now.

My only worry is quality of picture and sound. I mostly watch all the streaming services via my TV which has all the apps including the Apple TV+.

If I go for Airtel Xtreme, i can use my existing Prime subscription (Valid Till 6th Oct 2020), Hotstar subscription valid till June 2020 and Sunnxt valid till Jan 2021 along with Netflix. I use all the apps from TV. Also seeing posts concerning picture quality (colour issues) and lack of 5.1 on Amazon Prime, etc with Airtel Xtreme box. Are these any to worry if going for Airtel.

If I go for Binge+ box, I need to pay 249 to use any of these apps except Netflix (not available now) and also to watch the previous 7 days catch up TV feature (since used to recording facility in current box). Even after the current annual subscription plan for these apps is over, if I pay 249, will I be able to get full Prime benefits which include next day delivery as it is available currently. I mean full prime benefits and not just prime video only.

One way to avoid catch up TV is to watch them on Hotstar whenever wanted without recording.

Also, the initial cost for Airtel Xreme is Rs 2249(since I'm Airtel Broadband customer, I'm eligible for 2249 offer as informed by Airtel Broadband person).

If Airtel I need to change the complete setup from Dish, wiring and box , all for Rs 2249.

If its TataSky Binge+, it will be 4999 and just a box swap and may be LNB change as well to accommodate single wire from 2 cables of PVR box.

So pl suggest which is better among Tata Sky Binge+ and Airtel Xtreme. Main consideration is Picture quality and Sound Quality.

Pl move this to appropriate thread, if not relevant here.

Thanks in advance.

Venkata Ramesh Chandra V
At present tata sky and airtel not providing 4k live tv channels i am using mi 4k 65 inch with tata sky hd and using my subscriptions using for streaming apps my opinion is tv apps better to use and subscriptions

Guys, this post is in continuation to the 1st post of this thread as I'm unable to quote my own post.
While in dilemma to select an android STB from the 2 choices(Tata Sky and Airtel Xstream), I had to get both. One for myself and another for my parents flat. Since my parents are out of town currently, I've the opportunity to test both of them at my home.

Below are few of my observations between Tata Sky Binge plus Stb and Airtel Xstream Stb.
1) When playing Amazon Prime on Tata Sky Binge plus (TSB), its showing the resolution as HDR HD 1080p whereas on Airtel Xstream (AXS), its showing as HDR UltraHD.
Both are connected to different HDMI ports and the picture modes are same for both with no difference in settings(HDR picture modes are being shown for both). Attached are 2 images for the same. Which is correct HDR HD 1080p on TSB or HDR Ultra HD on AXS.

2) Remote pairing for AXS and TSB with my TV (LG 55SM9000).
On AXS remote, the TV On/Off, Volume Up/Down(TV/Soundbar volume) and mute are working fine.
On TSB remote, TV On/Off and mute buttons work fine, but not the volume buttons. The volume +/- activates the STB volume +/- but not the TV volume +/- which is irritating. But there is another way using HDMI CEC. Enabling it does the job for volume on TSB.
My TV is connected to LG SL8YG soundbar via HDMI Arc.

3) The sound output on AXS seems to be better or more than TSB for the same volume on soundbar.

4) I have not subscribed to the Binge pack. Even the trial offer is not added. Hence any options under the Binge section are not working. But I can watch OTT content from Amazon Prime, Hotstar and Sunnxt using my individual subscriptions by using the respective apps.

5) Picture quality seem to be almost same on both the STBs.

This is based on my observations for the last few days. Will post on other points, if any, later.

Thanks.

eKoFb7T.jpg

FmyIlji.jpg

Pl merge these images to above post.

Guys, this post is in continuation to the 1st post of this thread as I'm unable to quote my own post.
While in dilemma to select an android STB from the 2 choices(Tata Sky and Airtel Xstream), I had to get both. One for myself and another for my parents flat. Since my parents are out of town currently, I've the opportunity to test both of them at my home.

Below are few of my observations between Tata Sky Binge plus Stb and Airtel Xstream Stb.
1) When playing Amazon Prime on Tata Sky Binge plus (TSB), its showing the resolution as HDR HD 1080p whereas on Airtel Xstream (AXS), its showing as HDR UltraHD.
Both are connected to different HDMI ports and the picture modes are same for both with no difference in settings(HDR picture modes are being shown for both). Attached are 2 images for the same. Which is correct HDR HD 1080p on TSB or HDR Ultra HD on AXS.

2) Remote pairing for AXS and TSB with my TV (LG 55SM9000).
On AXS remote, the TV On/Off, Volume Up/Down(TV/Soundbar volume) and mute are working fine.
On TSB remote, TV On/Off and mute buttons work fine, but not the volume buttons. The volume +/- activates the STB volume +/- but not the TV volume +/- which is irritating. But there is another way using HDMI CEC. Enabling it does the job for volume on TSB.
My TV is connected to LG SL8YG soundbar via HDMI Arc.

3) The sound output on AXS seems to be better or more than TSB for the same volume on soundbar.

4) I have not subscribed to the Binge pack. Even the trial offer is not added. Hence any options under the Binge section are not working. But I can watch OTT content from Amazon Prime, Hotstar and Sunnxt using my individual subscriptions by using the respective apps.

5) Picture quality seem to be almost same on both the STBs.

This is based on my observations for the last few days. Will post on other points, if any, later.

Thanks.
Hello Mr. Chandra, hope you will understand the situation I am trying to explain here. All Tata Sky representatives have failed to understand or provide any solution to it.

I have Tata Sky Binge + connected to my Yamaha 5.1 AVR. When I play HD channels like Star movies, I get perfect 5.1 dolby surround sound however, while playing any streaming service like Hotter or Amazon Prime or any video on VLC, I do not get 5.1 dolby sound. It looks like there is compatibility issue of the Apps with the Android Box?
I have tried to change various sound settings on the 4K box and also my AVR but I am unable to get dolby sound for any content while playing through OTT.

Have you or anyone experience this issue? Any resolution to this will be very helpful as so far Android 4k Box from Tata Sky has been a complete waste.

Airtel Xstreme should be choice for you. Amazon Prime dolby issue is in both Binge and Xstreme STB. Xstreme STB is a value for money . Both got similar specs ,airtel hold an upper hand with built-in netflix where as Netflix not available in Tatasky Binge.

Sound will be slightly better in Airtel .PQ In HD channels,it wll b same n both. PQ in SD Tatasky will slightly be better.

My suggestion is to go to Xstreme STB.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock