Staff member
Community Manager
Solutions
Reaction score
An internet subscription movie service along the
lines of Netflix in the US may soon be introduced by
News Corporation’s Indian satellite TV arm Tata
Sky, according to the Hindustan Times.
Talks are reportedly in ‘advanced stages’ for the service, which could see the populous country’s third largest direct to home (DTH) platform offering subscribers unlimited films and TV programmes, streamed over the internet to their PCs, tablets or web-enabled TVs for a monthly fee. The current Tata Sky+ HD set top box has an Ethernet port, allowing users to connect to the internet and store streamed content, which would help enable deliver the rumoured web-based film service, reportedly set to be finalised in the coming two to three months. Vikram Mehra, CMO, Tata Sky, has, however, refused
to comment on the rumours circulating about his company’s supposed plans to launch a Netflix-type service in India. Tata Sky already offers its six million plus subscribers a movie on demand option called Showcase, with films shown at pre-ordained times. The beauty of an internet delivered subscription service, however, allows the user to store the film on the hard drive of a set top box and have unlimited access for the period of rental. Tata Sky – one of India’s six private DTH operators – currently trails in subscriber numbers to Dish TV’s 9 million and Sun TV’s 6.4 million. These pay TV platforms, together with rivals Reliance Digital TV, Airtel Digital and Videocon d2h, now provide over 30 million customers with satellite TV and associated services. DTH in India has experienced a 108% compound growth rate since Dish TV first launched in 2005, and its subscription base now accounted for 21% of the world’s pay satellite subscriber base at the end of 2010.

Rapidtvnews

good idea but what i am wondering is how will many users will take it as we have very low internet speeds and for such a service and uninterrupted streaming we will require a 2MPbs line.

well i think its not a small thing may be they will do it after 2-3 more updates but still there r chance to add this feature in tata sky its not a rumour i think and also soon the ethernet and usb port get active in tata sky dvr and hd box.

what i am saying is that Tata sky is technically capable and ready to launch this service but are users ready with their internet speed in India where unlimited Broadband at 2 Mbps costs INR 2000(with fair usage policy) i don't think many will go for this feature.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock