Seeking Help Tata sky STB issue and recommendation

• Thread starter sathyk
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 7
  • Views: Views 2,684

sathyk

Reaction score
I have been a Tata Sky customer for the last 9 years owing Tata Sky plus SD box. Recently I started experiencing issues with few channels. Here are few of the observations

- Image appears in pixels or screen freeze with bad sound - only few channels.
- No signal due to bad weather message appears for few channels even when there is no bad weather.
- Blue screen with no sound and picture on few channels. Just leave it there for few minutes - picture and sound appears after a while but eventually can change into pixel or screen freeze with bad sound.
- Home button (or yellow button) doesn't take to my account details. Instead it will exit to the previous channel immediately.

I had experienced similar issues in the past and the Tata Sky technician had always fixed the issue one way or the other replacing bad connector or splitter or fixing loose cable - my apartment has a MDU. This time the suggestion was to replace the STB as it is very old. Master Reset of STB did not help either. I was not convinced and questioned him, what if installing new box doesn't rectify the problem. As a result, a demo box (HD STB) is now connected to monitor the channels and I don't find issues with any of the channels now. But I am not happy with the picture quality including HD channels when compared with my previous STB.

Anyone else faced similar issues and any suggestions here to resurrect the SD plus STB? Recording still works like a charm on the working channels. Is dumping good old box without second thoughts is the only option or someway or the other a fix is available?

In case replacing STB is the only option, thought I will explore that too and checked out Tata SKy HD+ transfer box and it costs around Rs.9500. Remember, I have no complaints with Tata Sky and is a happy customer. But given that too many players out there and is pretty competitive, should I even consider/compare other DTH here?

Just to list my channel preferences - Tamil/Telugu channels, all English movies and English series. Some times sports (cricket, badminton, tennis) and kids channels are a must.

Thanks in advance.

Bro which is your STB?? I mean model and manufacturer ??? Also go to Cartoon Network/Sony Mix and check Signal levels. let us know

I have been a Tata Sky customer for the last 9 years owing Tata Sky plus SD box. Recently I started experiencing issues with few channels. Here are few of the observations

- Image appears in pixels or screen freeze with bad sound - only few channels.
- No signal due to bad weather message appears for few channels even when there is no bad weather.
- Blue screen with no sound and picture on few channels. Just leave it there for few minutes - picture and sound appears after a while but eventually can change into pixel or screen freeze with bad sound.
- Home button (or yellow button) doesn't take to my account details. Instead it will exit to the previous channel immediately.

I had experienced similar issues in the past and the Tata Sky technician had always fixed the issue one way or the other replacing bad connector or splitter or fixing loose cable - my apartment has a MDU. This time the suggestion was to replace the STB as it is very old. Master Reset of STB did not help either. I was not convinced and questioned him, what if installing new box doesn't rectify the problem. As a result, a demo box (HD STB) is now connected to monitor the channels and I don't find issues with any of the channels now. But I am not happy with the picture quality including HD channels when compared with my previous STB.

Anyone else faced similar issues and any suggestions here to resurrect the SD plus STB? Recording still works like a charm on the working channels. Is dumping good old box without second thoughts is the only option or someway or the other a fix is available?

In case replacing STB is the only option, thought I will explore that too and checked out Tata SKy HD+ transfer box and it costs around Rs.9500. Remember, I have no complaints with Tata Sky and is a happy customer. But given that too many players out there and is pretty competitive, should I even consider/compare other DTH here?

Just to list my channel preferences - Tamil/Telugu channels, all English movies and English series. Some times sports (cricket, badminton, tennis) and kids channels are a must.

Thanks in advance.
For your STB issue,I can't tell you anything. Consulting TS Engineer will be the best option available.

For the package perspective, according to your need,you can go for Dhamaal English pack for 399 rupees/month. Which includes all english movie chanels and english news chanels. You will have two free regional packs to choose from. For sports perspective,you can add sports pack,whenever needed and drop it whenever needed.
And you almost asked for everything. Which are costly. Better you go for ULTRA Pack with 560/month

Last edited:
@sathyk bro, welcome to DDF.

I have used all kind of old TS STB types.

SD, SD+, HD, HD+ etc.

SD+ which was manufactured by Humax is discountinued now.

You can go for HD+ box now blindly. It costs more but having same PVR function with better User interface and you will be amazed with picture quality is produces.

Bro which is your STB?? I mean model and manufacturer ??? Also go to Cartoon Network/Sony Mix and check Signal levels. let us know

STB is Humax.

Signal levels T1/T2:
Cartoon Network - 235/235
Sony Pix - 235/235
Star Movies & HBO - 0/235

For your STB issue,I can't tell you anything. Consulting TS Engineer will be the best option available.

For the package perspective, according to your need,you can go for Dhamaal English pack for 399 rupees/month. Which includes all english movie chanels and english news chanels. You will have two free regional packs to choose from. For sports perspective,you can add sports pack,whenever needed and drop it whenever needed.
And you almost asked for everything. Which are costly. Better you go for ULTRA Pack with 560/month

Thank you dude.

@sathyk bro, welcome to DDF.

I have used all kind of old TS STB types.

SD, SD+, HD, HD+ etc.

SD+ which was manufactured by Humax is discountinued now.

You can go for HD+ box now blindly. It costs more but having same PVR function with better User interface and you will be amazed with picture quality is produces.

Thank you bro. Given that I have Humax SD+ which is now discontinued, sounds like I have to upgrade.

Upgradation from SD+ to HD+ costs same as SD to HD+ upgrade. So they don't give enough value of HDD. That's only downside of upgrade.

I guess cost is around 8k for upgrade to new HD+ box.

However, The investment worth because new HD+ box has triple tuners and only one wire need to come from dish instead of two (unlike your old SD+ box uses).

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock