Terrestrial Broadcasting - news, updates, discussion

Only reason i can think of govt closing down DTT and not expanding, is to save the cost.
Govt should immediately privatise DTT like FM channels.
They chose wrong place to run terrestrial places. It is needed for villages. Not metros. With broadband and private DTH being so affordable. I don't get who needs terrestrial service in cities like Delhi and Mumbai. 😂

I told you so. We need something like ITV UK. (for those who don't know ITV stands for 'Independent Television'. In Hindi, the word for 'independent' is 'Swatantra' or 'Swadheen'. So, India should have thought of expanding its terrestrial network to private players way back in 1993, instead of relying heavily on Cable TV. Had it been done, we could have gotten our own desi ITV called Swatantra TV/Swadheen TV.

Moreover, Cable TV is slowly on its way to extinction. Cable connections are now mainly used in broadband services. So, it is not wrong to say that Cable TV will cease to exist in the future. Many foreign countries have already discontinued Cable TV services.

But unfortunately, the then Congress Government under the leadership of the Late PV Narasimha Rao decided to stick to Cable TV, whose effects are now visible clearly. Rural areas still don't have Cable TV as of date. Besides, Cable TV itself is costly.

Last edited:
I told you so. We need something like ITV UK. (for those who don't know ITV stands for 'Independent Television'. In Hindi, the word for 'independent' is 'Swatantra' or 'Swadheen'. So, India should have thought of expanding its terrestrial network to private players way back in 1993, instead of relying heavily on Cable TV. Had it been done, we could have gotten our own desi ITV called Swatantra TV/Swadheen TV.

Moreover, Cable TV is slowly on its way to extinction. Cable connections are now mainly used in broadband services. So, it is not wrong to say that Cable TV will cease to exist in the future. Many foreign countries have already discontinued Cable TV services.

But unfortunately, the then Congress Government under the leadership of the Late PV Narasimha Rao decided to stick to Cable TV, whose effects are now visible clearly. Rural areas still don't have Cable TV as of date. Besides, Cable TV itself is costly.
Cable was generous enough to share some of it's shows with Doordarshan. We had our own ITV called DD2. It was really popular. DD even use to outbid likes of ESPN Star to buy cricket World Cup rights. They stopped being innovative over the years. They lost the plot as soon as their monopoly of being only player in the market ended.

It seems Prasar Bharati wants to replace DTT with D2M. They have invested crores of rupees on DTT and all this now gone to drains. And now this D2M will surely go same way unless they allow it for use of private broadcasters which they have not done in case of DTT. Who wants to watch Doordarshan channels on mobile? Expanding DDFD service is also a bad idea in the days streaming services slowly spreading to nook and corner of the country and DTH business is in the verge of extinction. Moreover, they are not doing extensive marketing for DDFD which is why it is now only confined to limited areas in Hindi belt. Besides that, it is not weather proof and requires investment in hardware.

They chose wrong place to run terrestrial places. It is needed for villages. Not metros. With broadband and private DTH being so affordable. I don't get who needs terrestrial service in cities like Delhi and Mumbai. 😂
Why FM radio is only in cities? In my village, there is very poor FM radio reception.

I think it is the duty of a government to provide good terrestrial radio and TV broadcasting facilities. It is a sign of development.

Whenever I come to India on vacation, I have to call the cable guy to activate the connection.

If I could just connect the external antenna in my home to my TV and start watching TV immediately, I would be happy for a few days. Then may be if I am bored with the terrestrial programming, I may call the cable guy.

We have way better service than DTT, yes I am talking about DDFD. We took direct jump from Analogue Terrestrial transmission to Free Satellite Transmission.

DDFD is available in every corner of India & is more reliable than terrestrial transmission.

Yes other than Hindi there are almost zero regional language Channels available on DDFD, but if they (private regional broadcasters) are not willing to introducing their Channels on DDFD , I don't expect them to buy a slot (frequency) in Terrestrial Transmission. (If some day Govt thinks of selling them).

The only advantage of terrestrial transmission as compared to DTH is that we can watch channels while on the go.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock