TRAI may regulate HD channels' subscription charges

• Thread starter Thakur
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 43
  • Views: Views 4,095
RE: TRAI may regulate HD channels'subscription charges

sagar.patnaik said:
Cost of running a channel in the 90's was very less. Now it has increased multifold. Production cost of programs has increased. Example 100 episodes of Mahabharata cost Rs 100 Cr. Big boss Salman charges hell lot of money. Kaun banega crorepati amitab charges huge money. Now the normal programs at the time of kyunki saas bhi kabhi bahu thi an actor was paid Rs 5000 per episode now its 15-20000. Production cost in HD is higher. In USA the minimum pack costs Rs 1250/month. Our minimum pack is Rs 200-250.

In US GDP per capita is $53,042, it is $ 41,787 in UK where as in India it is $1,499
GDP per capita (current US$) | Data | Table

So pack price should be higher in US,UK and defenitely be lower in INDIA. Now just calculate what percent of money an average US citizen pay o his/her income and compare it with INDIA. U will see that Indians are paying more percentage of their money towards these TV packs/internet cost than US or UK. Don't go with only number as 1250 is always greater than 250 but u should look at the percentage of their monthly income.

sagar.patnaik said:
This is to Prateek1987,

Since you are not aware about the DTH Industry, I ll tell you why companies are in red. Mods can come up if I am wrong anywhere.

Lets discuss the cost of acquiring a customer.

Set top Box - $18(Rs 1150)
Antenna - Rs 350
LNB - Rs 250
Cable - Rs 100
Installation - Rs 150
Total - Rs 1900
They give you one month free subscription .
They charge u Rs 999. So straight Rs 900 loss at the time of acquiring a subscriber in todays market scenario. I hve not included logistics.

DTH companies have to pay entertainment tax, MSOs dont pay. 10% as license fee which MSOs dont pay. They pay to acquire tp sapace in satellites which msos dont.

I would suggest you to read some articles before jumping the gun. If you think cable wala cheating is good then i cannot explain it to you and the companies are not running a charity. People who want free entertainment can chose DD free dish. People who can afford a little less they hve cheaper packs. Dont ask Mercedes to to cut prices coz poor people can pay for nano.
dude which dth new connection is at rs. 999 first u shud get ur facts right n accurate. cost of acquiring is if 1900 rs then who is paying 900 rs. loss as i have checked each n every dth website no one is asking to pay rs. 999. u r wrong or else gimme a dth company name in which i can get a new connection at just rs. 999.

secondly have u heard any thing about subsidies as dth companies are getting subsidies from the govt. but mso r not allowed to take i.e. y the cost of each stb in mso r much higher as compare to dth companies stbs.

dth hd stb is at around 2000rs but mso r asking for more than 4000 rs for hd set top boxes n also every stb is need to be replaced within couple of years.

very cheap quality stbs.

second tell me y there is no portability if they r honest n they have dignity as well as integrity towards its customers as well as to the nation so they shud have agreed to the portability as mobile companies were agreed at the start of the millennium.

they don't provide that option to its customers y?????

each n every dth minimum plan is at 230 rs. / month but services r different so there r more than 75% probability that their customers r not getting their value for money.

third for ur kind information i am a finance guy who understands things very well. so tell me dish tv always reported their quarterly results n they have been in loss since the inception. after nearly abt ten years of its incorporation they will take atleast another couple of years to touch the break even point.

so who asks other dth companies to come n join n become a part of the race because for the 2nd onwards u always have the 1st to judge whether the industry is gud or not.

every dth must have done their calculations b4 coming n participating in the race.

they r the national companies so they r working on a pan india level i still cudn't understand y they come forward n want to avail losses rather than reaping profits.

forthly bro du u know their are hire purchase rule also, rent rule also so any customer can avail any offer if he wants to pay on hire basis or rent basis he can choose that also.

n lastly entertainment tax is being levied by state govts so whether u r a
dth or mso u have to pay the entertainment tax n service tax is being charged by the central govt.

e.g. i live in delhi ncr area in u.p.
i m paying both the taxes to den. if u have any doubt google it out or call to den network cc they will help to get u understand.

thats y i m saying if they r not doing any charity then y the hell they r in loss.

its better to have all the information b4 putting .............

Sarkar said:
In US GDP per capita is $53,042, it is $ 41,787 in UK where as in India it is $1,499
GDP per capita (current US$) | Data | Table

So pack price should be higher in US,UK and defenitely be lower in INDIA. Now just calculate what percent of money an average US citizen pay o his/her income and compare it with INDIA. U will see that Indians are paying more percentage of their money towards these TV packs/internet cost than US or UK. Don't go with only number as 1250 is always greater than 250 but u should look at the percentage of their monthly income.

Yes, US salaries are atleast 12 - 17% higher than that of the Indian counterpart for the same nature of job while the cable and DTH prices in India are way too high.

People directly start comparing the prices of commodities in two different nations while completely ignoring the other factors.

Rs 250 for DTH in India should be equal to RS 3,000 - 3,750 in the US, if they pay anything lesser then it means they are getting the same product for a better cost comparatively than us.

prateek1987 said:
dude which dth new connection is at rs. 999 first u shud get ur facts right n accurate. cost of acquiring is if 1900 rs then who is paying 900 rs. loss as i have checked each n every dth website no one is asking to pay rs. 999. u r wrong or else gimme a dth company name in which i can get a new connection at just rs. 999.

secondly have u heard any thing about subsidies as dth companies are getting subsidies from the govt. but mso r not allowed to take i.e. y the cost of each stb in mso r much higher as compare to dth companies stbs.

dth hd stb is at around 2000rs but mso r asking for more than 4000 rs for hd set top boxes n also every stb is need to be replaced within couple of years.

very cheap quality stbs.

second tell me y there is no portability if they r honest n they have dignity as well as integrity towards its customers as well as to the nation so they shud have agreed to the portability as mobile companies were agreed at the start of the millennium.

they don't provide that option to its customers y?????

each n every dth minimum plan is at 230 rs. / month but services r different so there r more than 75% probability that their customers r not getting their value for money.

third for ur kind information i am a finance guy who understands things very well. so tell me dish tv always reported their quarterly results n they have been in loss since the inception. after nearly abt ten years of its incorporation they will take atleast another couple of years to touch the break even point.

so who asks other dth companies to come n join n become a part of the race because for the 2nd onwards u always have the 1st to judge whether the industry is gud or not.

every dth must have done their calculations b4 coming n participating in the race.

they r the national companies so they r working on a pan india level i still cudn't understand y they come forward n want to avail losses rather than reaping profits.

forthly bro du u know their are hire purchase rule also, rent rule also so any customer can avail any offer if he wants to pay on hire basis or rent basis he can choose that also.

n lastly entertainment tax is being levied by state govts so whether u r a
dth or mso u have to pay the entertainment tax n service tax is being charged by the central govt.

e.g. i live in delhi ncr area in u.p.
i m paying both the taxes to den. if u have any doubt google it out or call to den network cc they will help to get u understand.

thats y i m saying if they r not doing any charity then y the hell they r in loss.

its better to have all the information b4 putting .............

100% wrong information. First Airtel is giving new HD connection at Rs 999, Dish tv has announced Rs 600 for SD and 999 for HD. In the year 2013-14 Dish Tv loss was Rs 149 Crores. Come on dont guess and govt is providing no subsidy to buy set top boxes infact they DTH companies are asking govt to reduce import duty. Plus DTH companies are paying taxes on the sale of set top boxes as well. At least google it before putting your point. Dont ask Den please. Its like asking Reliance is tata better. Entertainment tax is not being paid by cable operators. The entertainment tax is deducted from vat and returned back to cable operators so they say we are paying entertainment tax but actually they are not

Indians pay the most in the world for an iPhone 5S

It’s no secret that at a little over Rs 53,000 the 16GB iPhone 5S is quite a splurge for many Indians. But a new report from Mobile Unlocked and broken down by the Guardian, using official Apple prices, tells us just how bad things really are.

Using purchasing power parity to understand what percentage of a person’s disposable income he or she would spend to buy the iPhone 5S, Mobile Unlocked concluded that the phone costs Indians about 22 percent of per capital GDP, the highest in the world, followed by Vietnam (19.8 percent) and Jordan (18.3 percent). The cheapest place to buy the phone, based on this calculation, is Qatar where customers would spend under 1 percent of the per capita GDP.

Compared to its effective price in the UK of 2.4% of personal GDP, and 1.4% of personal GDP in the US

iPhone 5S world price index shows it is most expensive in Jordan – and India | Technology | The Guardian

Indians are paying 22% where as rich countries like US uK are paying just 1.4 % and 2.4% :(

this clearly shows how Indians are paying more than rest of the world for services. But still these companiese always fools us by saying that it's cheapest in world :angry

sagar.patnaik said:
100% wrong information. First Airtel is giving new HD connection at Rs 999, Dish tv has announced Rs 600 for SD and 999 for HD. In the year 2013-14 Dish Tv loss was Rs 149 Crores. Come on dont guess and govt is providing no subsidy to buy set top boxes infact they DTH companies are asking govt to reduce import duty. Plus DTH companies are paying taxes on the sale of set top boxes as well. At least google it before putting your point.

Dont ask Den please. Its like asking Reliance is tata better. Entertainment tax is not being paid by cable operators. The entertainment tax is deducted from vat and returned back to cable operators so they say we are paying entertainment tax but actually they are not

Sarkar said:
Indians pay the most in the world for an iPhone 5S

It’s no secret that at a little over Rs 53,000 the 16GB iPhone 5S is quite a splurge for many Indians. But a new report from Mobile Unlocked and broken down by the Guardian, using official Apple prices, tells us just how bad things really are.

Using purchasing power parity to understand what percentage of a person’s disposable income he or she would spend to buy the iPhone 5S, Mobile Unlocked concluded that the phone costs Indians about 22 percent of per capital GDP, the highest in the world, followed by Vietnam (19.8 percent) and Jordan (18.3 percent). The cheapest place to buy the phone, based on this calculation, is Qatar where customers would spend under 1 percent of the per capita GDP.

Compared to its effective price in the UK of 2.4% of personal GDP, and 1.4% of personal GDP in the US

iPhone 5S world price index shows it is most expensive in Jordan – and India | Technology | The Guardian

Indians are paying 22% where as rich countries like US uK are paying just 1.4 % and 2.4% :(

this clearly shows how Indians are paying more than rest of the world for services. But still these companiese always fools us by saying that it's cheapest in world :angry

now you want Apple to sell at a lower price coz you hve low per capita income. Biggest joke. Now Indians do pay a little more than US coz Apple doesnt assemble phones in India so they import it from US. Cost of importing + Excise duty + Logistics cost increase the price.

sagar.patnaik said:
I just gave you one sentence on US pricing you wrote a paragraph on that but i explained it to you the cost system you didnt react. Direct Tv of US has just 1 Crore customer in US. Dish Tv has 1.2 Cr. Dish tv is in loss but Direct Tv earns billions of dollars in profit. So Americans might argue they should reduce the price no need to keep billions in profits. Prateek I advice you never run a business coz you believe in charity. At least download the annual report of Dish Tv and check its Balance sheet you will get the idea. Companies are struggling to get profits they are still running the business in hope that our market will mature and they ll get profits like Direc Tv but people like you will not understand the importance of profits. Profits means generating quality services, investing in quality programs. Getting the latest technology first. Due to profits they can make game of thrones or marco polo type serials where one episode costs Rs 50+ crores. You dont ask a samosa for Rs 5 in a five star hotel. If you cannot afford to pay watch DD free dish. You want to watch premium channels but do not want to pay premium. Do one thing start your own business and give it for free if you think they are looting and you can provide all channels at Rs 100-200

with due respect as v both r indians n i hope u love ur country n its people in the same way as i do.

tell me which dth company is providing good quality services as i cant get 5 rs samosa even from a road side thailiwallas also.

since the ten years of the incorporation of the dth industry in india, we r still facing problems, which r mentioned below:

the package n pricing bcoz each dth has diffent channels under its packs.

let me explain u a new channel ID has just started i wanted to get this channel but its not providing by my dth so what else i could do as i have invested 2000 rs in my stb n to become a customer of my dth company.

do i have any option available. answer is big no bcoz there is no portability. had it been there i would have easily got my channels after switching from one another.

10 years have been past still m not able to get 5 star services from my dth.

who is a looser me only means a customer only.

y dth companies r afraid of portability. if they r providing good five star services than dey shud have not afraid. but they know that they r not up to the mark

they r reaping profits from our ignorance only as we don't know our rights.

govt. made it compulsory to have a separate stb so plz tell me if u take it a rdtv n take it a adtv n after 3 months u r facing problems of any kind than u dont have any option bcoz there is no portability.

bro u have to think like an indian only n its our duty also

sagar.patnaik said:
Average Revenue Per User for Dish Tv is Rs 165. You are paying 500 that doesnt mean everyone is paying 500. Most customers are on base packs.

dude once again ur calculations r wrong

the minimum base pack have also higher price than 165 then how come the average is 165 rs.

any logic???????

sagar.patnaik said:
now you want Apple to sell at a lower price coz you hve low per capita income. Biggest joke. Now Indians do pay a little more than US coz Apple doesnt assemble phones in India so they import it from US. Cost of importing + Excise duty + Logistics cost increase the price.

U get me wrong bro. I don't want apple to sell in lower price. All I want is lower internet cos t and TV subscription cost and want to say that indians paying more percentage of their annual income towards these survices than others. Here Iphone is just as example. BTW iphones are assembled in china not in US. But still price is higher in china than US and uk.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock