TRAI may regulate HD channels' subscription charges

• Thread starter Thakur
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 43
  • Views: Views 4,054
RE: TRAI may regulate HD channels'
subscription charges

sagar.patnaik said:
The timing is not right. HD has not matured yet. Curb on subscription fees will deter broadcasters to launch HD channels. Dish tv charges only Rs 5.5 per channel by any means its not high. I agree that we should hve a choice to pick from star plus or star plus HD but apart from GECs rest all show different programs on their SD and HD channels. India has only 4 million HD subscribers which is only 10% of the total DTH subscriber base. TRAI should wait at least 3 years and let number of HD channels cross 100. Those who say DTH companies are looting they should check their financial report almost every company is in red.
Really bro i like ur comment, well done bro, this is a mature comment :clap

RE: TRAI may regulate HD channels'subscription charges

prateek1987 said:
mr patnaik

every comapny is in red. could u please tell me the reason?

i wud like to tell u few years back when there was no digitisation, when there was no mso, when there was no dth, people were happy because the cost was very less.

people had multi room connections at their home but they were paying only for 1 tv. now we pay for each tv separately still companies or dth companies are in loss. why?????????

there are local cablewallas which provide services after merging with mso. still their prices are very low as compare to dth companies prices. how??????

for example in my area local cablewalla is providing service to me, he has had tied up with den networks so please tell me their r two profit takers ( local cablewalla n den networks) still their prices are less as compare to dth where their is only one profit taker. how it could be possible?

i read somewhere that in the month of june or july, the active subscribers of dth are just above 50%. do u really think that was a real figure. for every possibilities this was a fake figure as dth companies are providing wrong figures just to get capital outflows as well as capital inflows benefits n to avoid multiple or many taxation structure.

one more thing, if a guy is living in a remote area or in a well developed area or in a metropolitan city, all of them have to pay the same prices. now tell me the salaries as well as the tax benefits r different n they r generally based on the city in which u r working (residing). so y don't they have the different price structure for different areas just like tier 1, tier 2 or tier 3.

as we r all indians, we have to think for others also. how a villager or a low post - men will be able to pay a basic amount. i meant a high designated man like a CEO or CFO or a GM is also required to pay the same amount as the people like the watchmen would be required to pay.

prices should be rational but not uniform to all of its subscribers or potential customers.
don't u think its a bad move as once again we have discriminated the people as we used to have.

you must be joking, cable wala's if they had 10,000 subscribers would declare only 1000 subscribers and pay for that only. Broadcasters lost money but customers were happy getting channels at Rs 100. I read that Arasu cable still charges Rs 70. Do you think channels are that cheap they are cheating. Thats why govt went for digitisation.

subscription charges

This is to Prateek1987,

Since you are not aware about the DTH Industry, I ll tell you why companies are in red. Mods can come up if I am wrong anywhere.

Lets discuss the cost of acquiring a customer.

Set top Box - $18(Rs 1150)
Antenna - Rs 350
LNB - Rs 250
Cable - Rs 100
Installation - Rs 150
Total - Rs 1900
They give you one month free subscription .
They charge u Rs 999. So straight Rs 900 loss at the time of acquiring a subscriber in todays market scenario. I hve not included logistics.

DTH companies have to pay entertainment tax, MSOs dont pay. 10% as license fee which MSOs dont pay. They pay to acquire tp sapace in satellites which msos dont.

I would suggest you to read some articles before jumping the gun. If you think cable wala cheating is good then i cannot explain it to you and the companies are not running a charity. People who want free entertainment can chose DD free dish. People who can afford a little less they hve cheaper packs. Dont ask Mercedes to to cut prices coz poor people can pay for nano.

sagar.patnaik said:
you must be joking, cable wala's if they had 10,000 subscribers would declare only 1000 subscribers and pay for that only. Broadcasters lost money but customers were happy getting channels at Rs 100. I read that Arasu cable still charges Rs 70. Do you think channels are that cheap they are cheating. Thats why govt went for digitisation.

bro u r n u were right. i think u dint get me properly n thoroughly.

i said few years back when cablewalla dint give the proper information to the broadcasters, broadcasters were not getting the exact amt what they shud have got.

now when the digitisation came they r getting the exact n reasonable amount.

so in last 5 years their incremental income have been multifold.

eg 5 years back 1000( wrong figures) cable walla paid for 1000rs.

now we have to pay as 10000 customers as we or cablewalla don't cheat after the digitisation came into effect.

so broadcasters' income have been increased 10 times. so they shud have provided all the channels in 150 or 200 bucks as they used to give n we as the customers used to receive.

because if u consider the amount same what it used to have 5 years back, they r getting ten times multifold income.

e.g. say cost of a channel is 1 re only.

so in 2009, 1000*1 = 1000 rs.(bcoz cable walla gave the less no. of subscribers list to the broadcasters) n also after knowing it broadcasters couldn't do anything because of inter dependent.

now no one can cheat or gives false or less no. of subscribers-

10000 *1 =10000 rs

so by this means broadcasters r getting atleast 10 times of the revenue as compare to 5 years back. so what is the reason that the package prices have been tripled or more than that.

also please don't forget that broadcasters depend on the subscribers as they got their revenue from the advertisement itself as advt. fees depend itself on the no. of subscribers watching that particular channel.

trp itself generated from the viewership from the no. of people.
so more people watching that channel means to get more money first from the customer n second from the advt. fees.

so r we fools

prateek1987 said:
bro u r n u were right. i think u dint get me properly n thoroughly.

i said few years back when cablewalla dint give the proper information to the broadcasters, broadcasters were not getting the exact amt what they shud have got.

now when the digitisation came they r getting the exact n reasonable amount.

so in last 5 years their incremental income have been multifold.

eg 5 years back 1000( wrong figures) cable walla paid for 1000rs.

now we have to pay as 10000 customers as we or cablewalla don't cheat after the digitisation came into effect.

so broadcasters' income have been increased 10 times. so they shud have provided all the channels in 150 or 200 bucks as they used to give n we as the customers used to receive.

because if u consider the amount same what it used to have 5 years back, they r getting ten times multifold income.

e.g. say cost of a channel is 1 re only.

so in 2009, 1000*1 = 1000 rs.(bcoz cable walla gave the less no. of subscribers list to the broadcasters) n also after knowing it broadcasters couldn't do anything because of inter dependent.

now no one can cheat or gives false or less no. of subscribers-

10000 *1 =10000 rs

so by this means broadcasters r getting atleast 10 times of the revenue as compare to 5 years back. so what is the reason that the package prices have been tripled or more than that.

also please don't forget that broadcasters depend on the subscribers as they got their revenue from the advertisement itself as advt. fees depend itself on the no. of subscribers watching that particular channel.

trp itself generated from the viewership from the no. of people.
so more people watching that channel means to get more money first from the customer n second from the advt. fees.

so r we fools

Cost of running a channel in the 90's was very less. Now it has increased multifold. Production cost of programs has increased. Example 100 episodes of Mahabharata cost Rs 100 Cr. Big boss Salman charges hell lot of money. Kaun banega crorepati amitab charges huge money. Now the normal programs at the time of kyunki saas bhi kabhi bahu thi an actor was paid Rs 5000 per episode now its 15-20000. Production cost in HD is higher. In USA the minimum pack costs Rs 1250/month. Our minimum pack is Rs 200-250.

subscription charges

dude i m not debating with u. my q is we cant compare america with india. we have the largest democracy n they r developed nation but we r still developing.

the per capita income is very high in america.

and one more thing they r charging 5 times than us. 1250/250 = 5 times

but per capita income in america is more than 5 times than in india.

so if i follow u then also v r paying more. secondly we r 4 times as populated as they r.

so they have 35 crore people only n we r 126+ crores.

if i preassume the content cost n other multiple costs r same ( which i know it cannot be same as they r more advanced than us but for u i have taken it same ) than also v r paying more.

america = 34+ crores i.e. 35 crores = 35*1250 = 43750
india = 126 crores = 126*250 =31500 crores

n they r atleast 5 times better than us means they have atleast 5 times more per capita income

so the cost shud have been 43750/5 = 8750.

n please also note that everything in this world has a demand supply ratio so in india still people r not able to pay the required amt.

in mumbai n bangalore people r paying the same amount as people r paying in backward areas ( tier 2&3 cities) so income varies from city to city but people r paying the same rate.

can i get a room on rent in mumbai or in gurgaon at the same rate as i wud get in my area no bcoz metropolitan cities are much much costly in comparison to other cities.

put urself into the shoes of others u wud understand my point.
they r providin old wine but in a new bottle. meaning is same

if they hire barrack obama for big boss n if he charges 5 times more than salman does. so y the hell i wud be forced to pay 5 times more for colors. did i ask them to hire big celebrities. they hire to get n generate more trps so that they can get more money thrgh companis' ads n promotions.

so a channel is earning in both the ways frm the ads also n frm the customers also.

if a add will be aired on these channels then the cost of that product will be increased so a customer will have to pay for both. then he wud be butchered from both sides as from the inflation as the prices of the products wud b increased n from the channel prices as they wud also be increased.

according to sagar patnaik every company, dth, telecom operators are in loss.. n the d amount dey r charging for their services is very low..

prateek1987 said:
dude i m not debating with u. my q is we cant compare america with india. we have the largest democracy n they r developed nation but we r still developing.

the per capita income is very high in america.

and one more thing they r charging 5 times than us. 1250/250 = 5 times

but per capita income in america is more than 5 times than in india.

so if i follow u then also v r paying more. secondly we r 4 times as populated as they r.

so they have 35 crore people only n we r 126+ crores.

if i preassume the content cost n other multiple costs r same ( which i know it cannot be same as they r more advanced than us but for u i have taken it same ) than also v r paying more.

america = 34+ crores i.e. 35 crores = 35*1250 = 43750
india = 126 crores = 126*250 =31500 crores

n they r atleast 5 times better than us means they have atleast 5 times more per capita income

so the cost shud have been 43750/5 = 8750.

n please also note that everything in this world has a demand supply ratio so in india still people r not able to pay the required amt.

in mumbai n bangalore people r paying the same amount as people r paying in backward areas ( tier 2&3 cities) so income varies from city to city but people r paying the same rate.

can i get a room on rent in mumbai or in gurgaon at the same rate as i wud get in my area no bcoz metropolitan cities are much much costly in comparison to other cities.

put urself into the shoes of others u wud understand my point.
they r providin old wine but in a new bottle. meaning is same

if they hire barrack obama for big boss n if he charges 5 times more than salman does. so y the hell i wud be forced to pay 5 times more for colors. did i ask them to hire big celebrities. they hire to get n generate more trps so that they can get more money thrgh companis' ads n promotions.

so a channel is earning in both the ways frm the ads also n frm the customers also.

if a add will be aired on these channels then the cost of that product will be increased so a customer will have to pay for both. then he wud be butchered from both sides as from the inflation as the prices of the products wud b increased n from the channel prices as they wud also be increased.

I just gave you one sentence on US pricing you wrote a paragraph on that but i explained it to you the cost system you didnt react. Direct Tv of US has just 1 Crore customer in US. Dish Tv has 1.2 Cr. Dish tv is in loss but Direct Tv earns billions of dollars in profit. So Americans might argue they should reduce the price no need to keep billions in profits. Prateek I advice you never run a business coz you believe in charity. At least download the annual report of Dish Tv and check its Balance sheet you will get the idea. Companies are struggling to get profits they are still running the business in hope that our market will mature and they ll get profits like Direc Tv but people like you will not understand the importance of profits. Profits means generating quality services, investing in quality programs. Getting the latest technology first. Due to profits they can make game of thrones or marco polo type serials where one episode costs Rs 50+ crores. You dont ask a samosa for Rs 5 in a five star hotel. If you cannot afford to pay watch DD free dish. You want to watch premium channels but do not want to pay premium. Do one thing start your own business and give it for free if you think they are looting and you can provide all channels at Rs 100-200

wewake said:
according to sagar patnaik every company, dth, telecom operators are in loss.. n the d amount dey r charging for their services is very low..

Average Revenue Per User for Dish Tv is Rs 165. You are paying 500 that doesnt mean everyone is paying 500. Most customers are on base packs.

Dish TV, India's leading direct-to-home (DTH) operator, reported 21.9% increase in operating profit (Ebitda) at Rs 157.1 crore on a sequential basis in the first quarter (April-June) of fiscal 2015.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock