Breaking TRAI Tariff Order drives 15 million away from TV

anandbb

Contributor
Reaction score
Trai tariff order drives 15m away from TV

According to KPMG’s latest report on the media and entertainment sector, the new regulatory framework has already reduced the number of pay TV subscribers by 12–15 million this year.

An international expert on the Indian broadcasting sector observed that television is creative and should not be treated like a "service" by Trai. "Does TRAI understand how the creative sector works? Or it still deems broadcasting as a service, which was the regulator’s original mandate when it was given the charge of regulating the telecom sector," the domain expert asked.

TRAI order or not this was bound to happen due to various factors. New Framework has just fast forwarded the transition bcoz earlier people paid minimal amount for TV channels and accepted whatever content was delivered to them. Not to forget all the wrongdoings and unfair practices which were part of old mechanism and it contributed to subscribers getting channels at low cost. This needed cleansing and overhaul sooner or later.

Fact is TRAI rules r good, operators and broadcasters need to employ right strategy whether on pricing or content front to hold onto subscribers. Otherwise it is best for people to switch for better options. Still majority cannot afford or have access to OTT hence TV will remain a popular medium. What makes me happy is that broadcasters will have to focus on quality rather than launching 10 chs with same kind of programs

TRAI order or not this was bound to happen due to various factors. New Framework has just fast forwarded the transition bcoz earlier people paid minimal amount for TV channels and accepted whatever content was delivered to them. Not to forget all the wrongdoings and unfair practices which were part of old mechanism and it contributed to subscribers getting channels at low cost. This needed cleansing and overhaul sooner or later.

Fact is TRAI rules r good, operators and broadcasters need to employ right strategy whether on pricing or content front to hold onto subscribers. Otherwise it is best for people to switch for better options. Still majority cannot afford or have access to OTT hence TV will remain a popular medium. What makes me happy is that broadcasters will have to focus on quality rather than launching 10 chs with same kind of programs
I agree with your first point. But TRAI's rules are kind of pathetic as well. Tell me in which country customer buys channel according to broadcaster. At first hundred channel slot is unethical. I am paying for channels not storage. Rules should've been a regulations in pricing of pay channels with ads and also a regulation in pricing of the highest monthly subscription DPO can charge. Also DPOs should have power to negotiate with broadcaster to offer packages at discounted price.

And about new tariff. No one was going to be happy with this new rules. People in Urban India paid ₹100-₹150 for Star Plus, Max, Star Sports. Did TRAI thought they would be paying double the amount for half the channels? New tariff also did no good for Free Dish as major broadcaster left it out of spite.

Nice to know few members are doing productivity work now after TRAI tariff hike :cool:
On the downside my friend who moved away from traditional TV viewer to one of the OTT viewer and now spends more time watching TV compared to the time he used to spend previously.

I read that article before in the morning. Now it's here.. Trai rules are really pathetic. first of all, Rs 130 for NCF is okay, but Additional NCF don't even let us take FTA channel pack. We can choose only 74 SD or 37 HD channels only... Then we have to pay extra NCF for more channel.
So definitely we are going to take Pay channel first.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock