Discussion TRAI warns Broadcasters against inflated, arbitrary pricing in response to NTO 2.0

Trai to take action on arbitrary price increase.
npKEljA.png

These private broadcasters are making merry with the loopholes in NTO 2.0 Do you imagine, we have to pay Rs. 22.0 per month for watching cricket highlights all day and cringy adverts on top of it. This too after paying a hefty NCF of Rs. 153 per month in addition to the channel cost. I believe, these NTO rules were framed by someone amongst the broadcaster themselves. They spend peanuts on quality content creation but expect the viewers to spend a fortune just to watch their third class content.

Do you imagine, we have to pay Rs. 22.0 per month for watching cricket highlights all day
do u have any idea how much amount these so called highlights channel pay for sporting rights??? what we as viewers pay is peanuts.... come too UAE and subscribe too watch T20 WC you will come too know how it works internationally in UAE(Dubai) if i want too watch t20 WC its costing me 250AED for whole tournament which is equivalent too 2500rs just for t20 WC

do u have any idea how much amount these so called highlights channel pay for sporting rights??? what we as viewers pay is peanuts.... come too UAE and subscribe too watch T20 WC you will come too know how it works internationally in UAE(Dubai) if i want too watch t20 WC its costing me 250AED for whole tournament which is equivalent too 2500rs just for t20 WC
You are living in a country where per capita income is way more than what one gets in India along with tax exemptions over the top of it. Moreover, the population of the country you are referring to is 'peanuts' as compared to India so number of subscribers are way more than UAE which automatically neutralizes the cost factor for these 'marquee' events. Therefore, the comparison between UAE or India or any other Western country for that matter is not feasible as the market dynamics are totally different.
Your argument would still hold value in pre-digitallization era when cable operators used to massively under report their subscriber count. But in today's scenario every subscriber is accounted for.

Last edited:
You are living in a country where per capita income is way more than what one gets in India along with tax exemptions over the top of it. Moreover, the population of the country you are referring to is 'peanuts' as compared to India so number of subscribers are way more than UAE which automatically neutralizes the cost factor for these 'marquee' events. Therefore, the comparison between UAE or India or any other Western country for that matter is not feasible as the market dynamics are totally different.
Your argument would still hold value in pre-digitallization era when cable operators used to massively under report their subscriber count. But in today's scenario every subscriber is accounted for.
ur statement is irrelevant regarding subscribers or ur economics.... for eg star has too pay big money too get live content for country like India as compared too what they would pay for rights showing in middle east....if they giving channels already on peanut price how will they cover their money which they invest for live content

ur statement is irrelevant regarding subscribers or ur economics.... for eg star has too pay big money too get live content for country like India as compared too what they would pay for rights showing in middle east....if they giving channels already on peanut price how will they cover their money which they invest for live content
1. Population for UAE is low and people following cricketing events are even lower only belonging to the countries from the Indian Sub-continent. Due to low viewership, there are lesser brands willing to sponsor these properties. So in order to generate the revenue, the only option left is subscriber money which will naturally be higher.
2. Population of India is massive and people following cricket is also very very high. Due to high viewership, brands are willing to pay exhorbitant amounts for sponsoring the broadcast. So, the subscription revenue is more or less a bonus atleast for cricket.
However, for lesser followed events such as Tennis & Football, the susbcription cost of Rs.22 is okayish. But, these are broadcast only on 2 channels.

Dear Brother,

It's India. Not UAE. People of India are still suffering for their daily normal expenses. Earning per person in India is not same as UAE. And in India population is more. So many factors are there. So we can not compare the price with UAE price directly.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock