Upgrade to NxtHD/Premium or Keep the TruHD STB ??

sushruta

Reaction score
Like I mentioned in the topic, is it worth upgrading to NxtHD Premium from TruHD (Zenega D6000) ??

I don't need the Dish Antenna coz it's already installed when I took the HD connection from them several years back & it never needed any kinda re-allignment...

I called CC but there is no exchange or upgrade option from TruHD to NxtHD & I will have to buy the STB paying the full price...

So, I'm a kinda confused what to do...My current box is little slow, sometimes takes a bit more time to recognize the remote commands as the box gets slow sometimes & the my Corsair USB 3.0 pen drive doesn't get detected anymore on it...Recording option isn't compulsory for me because I can't play those recorded files on computers anyways...And most things can be downloaded from YT or DailyMotion without ease...

I can get the STB from eBay/Amazon/Flipkart or any 3rd party site for cheap any time but I won't get the Lifetime warranty on the box which I would get if buying from DishTV directly & warranty does matter to me as I always find the Zenega 6000 dies within a short period of time...I needed to buy a TruHD box atleast 2-3 times in the past 3-4 years...And they don't give a new box...Everytime already services/used box & that dies in another 6 months...I don't know if you guys get new boxes if you ask for STB swap though...

My current one is not very troublesome...Just a lil' slow & my pen drive is not being recognized even though it used to work earlier...

Otherwise no complaints about DishTV...They gave me all Sony Ten channels for free yesterday as I am an old customer with a higher value pack (HD Royal)...

So, Upgrade to NxtHD or keep the current one ?? What say ?? Is the upgrade worth it ?? I obviously wouldn't upgrade just for a snappier UI...The sound & picture quality should be better too...

P.S. I hope I can just buy a NxtHD/Zenega D7000 box & swap it with Tru-HD/Zenega 6000 or the antenna & LNBs needed to be purchased too ??

Thanks for replies in advance...

Some of your observations are very confusing:
HD+ STB becomes defective within 6 months ?
Never had this problem even after decade of service
No warranty on Online purchase
I don't think so, In fact all the online sells are from authorized sellers that's why the STB gets activation too.
Should you buy or not ?
If you purchase then
Realignment of Dish is must
Your existing Dish will do the job
But as there will no swapping (as you said) then it will be new connection
Only if you want more of South specific channels available on ST2 satellite.

I was not using Dish TV earlier and purchased NXT HD stb two months ago. I got a curved dish and monoblock lnb. I do not know you have it with your current stb. I am getting SS - 90% and SQ - 82% and presume curved dish and monoblock have a role to play in this. HD channel quality is very good but SD channel quality is not up to the mark. It had a distinctive UI but I am not comfortable with it. Picture freezes for a few seconds occasionally.
Coming to recording features, there is no series recording available. Though there is Event based recording option, but it is useless as Dish TV do not update their EPG and most of the time shows " No information" . And you cannot schedule a recording. Only Time based recording feature works. While playing recording content, the ff/rev operations are not smooth. Some recorded contents fail to play and only black screen appears. As a whole it is a good stb.
Now use your discretion.

Last edited:
Some of your observations are very confusing:
HD+ STB becomes defective within 6 months ?
Never had this problem even after decade of service
No warranty on Online purchase
I don't think so, In fact all the online sells are from authorized sellers that's why the STB gets activation too.
Should you buy or not ?
If you purchase then
Realignment of Dish is must
Your existing Dish will do the job
But as there will no swapping (as you said) then it will be new connection
Only if you want more of South specific channels available on ST2 satellite.

Since you didn't properly understand my post, I would explain more clearly...

1) Yes I had to change my STB atleast 3 times within the last couple of years...It may not be the fault of DishTV but of the local DishTV service center people who always give a box which dies or becomes non-functioning within a short period of time...And they don't give any kind of warranty on the box as they say, "these are not new boxes, we don't give new boxes as replacements so it won't have any warranty...We can offer you a warranty of only 30 days from our side"...And that 30 days warranty doesn't mean anything...

2) I did NOT say there will be no warranty on online purchase...I am buying staffs online from atleast 10+ years online (Even before eBay used to be called Bazee.com)...I have clearly mentioned that, I can get the STB for cheap but there will be NO LIFETIME WARRANTY if I buy from 3rd party sites...I will get only 1 year warranty if buying from 3rd party while DishTV will give Lifetime warranty if buying directly from them...

3) I do NOT want the South Channels...I have never mentioned about it in my original post...I just want to upgrade to NxtHD if the upgrade is worth it...I clearly mentioned that in my post "I obviously wouldn't upgrade just for a snappier UI...The sound & picture quality should be better too..."

4) You didn't answer any of my questions, so I would wait for a proper reply...

P.S. I have TruHD box, not HD+...Are you even a DishTV customer ?? :sneaky::sneaky:

Last edited:
I was not using Dish TV earlier and purchased NXT HD stb two months ago. I got a curved dish and monoblock lnb. I do not know you have it with your current stb. I am getting SS - 90% and SQ - 82% and presume curved dish and monoblock have a role to play in this. HD channel quality is very good but SD channel quality is not up to the mark. It had a distinctive UI but I am not comfortable with it. Picture freezes for a few seconds occasionally.
Coming to recording features, there is no series recording available. Though there is Event based recording option, but it is useless as Dish TV do not update their EPG and most of the time shows " No information" . And you cannot schedule a recording. Only Time based recording feature works. While playing recording content, the ff/rev operations are not smooth. Some recorded contents fail to play and only black screen appears. As a whole it is a good stb.
Now use your discretion.
Thanks for the confirmation...So, it seems the upgrade is not worth it atleast for now...Thanks for your valuable update... :)(y)(y)

I get about 77% in Signal Strength...SD channels quality are bad & I think that's an universal problem for all DishTV customers...:p:p

P.S. I am not sure what do you mean by curved dish though...I thought all dish antennas look similar...Actually in this same forum, I saw one person posting pics of his new NxtHD connection installation...And the Dish looked same as what I currently have except the Dish Home logo on the Dish...

I actually only wanted to upgrade the STB as I already have the Dish & double Monoblock LNBs...The dish has been installed & very firmly secured on the rooftop of our apartment & it would take much effort & time to uninstall the Dish from there...I don't want the South channels too so I don't think I don't need to buy the dish too if it's not really necessary...I could just buy the STB for cheap but I won't get the Lifetime warranty if purchased from 3rd party sellers/sites...Not sure if I can buy the STB only from DishTV & still get the Lifetime Warranty on the box...They don't have much info about buying the box separately without the Dish...

Thanks for your valuable feedback though...Pretty helpful... :)(y)(y)

Last edited:
IMG_20180520_212301_04_01_02.jpg

Schedule Recordin very much available..

Screenshot_2018_02_10_16_34_30_01.jpg

More features will arrive with time..

Last edited:
Since you didn't properly understand my post, I would explain more clearly...

1) Yes I had to change my STB atleast 3 times within the last couple of years...It may not be the fault of DishTV but of the local DishTV service center people who always give a box which dies or becomes non-functioning within a short period of time...And they don't give any kind of warranty on the box as they say, "these are not new boxes, we don't give new boxes as replacements so it won't have any warranty...We can offer you a warranty of only 30 days from our side"...And that 30 days warranty doesn't mean anything...
The consumer has right to refuse & escalate matter in case of he is not getting STB in order or old STB not in proper condition
2) I did NOT say there will be no warranty on online purchase...I am buying staffs online from atleast 10+ years online (Even before eBay used to be called Bazee.com)...I have clearly mentioned that, I can get the STB for cheap but there will be NO LIFETIME WARRANTY if I buy from 3rd party sites...I will get only 1 year warranty if buying from 3rd party while DishTV will give Lifetime warranty if buying directly from them...
No that's not true, All STB eligible for activation are under warranty & there is consumer protection law to protect in case of what you said.
3) I do NOT want the South Channels...I have never mentioned about it in my original post...I just want to upgrade to NxtHD if the upgrade is worth it...I clearly mentioned that in my post "I obviously wouldn't upgrade just for a snappier UI...The sound & picture quality should be better too..."
Then my last line of reply was enough
4) You didn't answer any of my questions, so I would wait for a proper reply...
Read last line of my reply AGAIN
P.S. I have TruHD box, not HD+...Are you even a DishTV customer ?? :sneaky::sneaky:
LoL seems You guessed/assumed too much without reading properly :LOL::D
Thanks for understanding ;):)

I am in Old Dish Tru HD Set Box in 2012
Old Dish Tru HD Set Box is very good

Last edited:
LoL seems You guessed/assumed too much without reading properly :LOL::D
Thanks for understanding;):)
Bigger Lol to your misunderstanding... :LOL::ROFLMAO:

The first comment should apply to YOU lol because it was YOU who didn't understand the question & replied with lots of unrelated comments which didn't make ANY freaking sense to me...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

P.S. Don't add your own lines in my own msg & quoting them as my msg...Still most of them didn't make any sense lol...

The consumer has right to refuse & escalate matter in case of he is not getting STB in order or old STB not in proper condition..

Nope...After the 1 year warranty is over, you need to purchase the STB & since DishTV no longer sells the old TruHD box, you will get a previously serviced one i.e a refurbished/Recertified STB...And DishTV doesn't give any warranty on the refurb/replaced STBs...To get a completely new STB, we will have to buy a whole new connection...

No that's not true, All STB eligible for activation are under warranty & there is consumer protection law to protect in case of what you said.

You have serious eyesight Problem...I already have written this multiple times before in Capital colored words...If you don't know the difference between 1 year standard warranty & a Lifetime Warranty, just don't bother replying...BUYING DIRECTLY FROM DISHTV, WE GET LIFETIME WARRANTY BUT BUYING FROM A 3RD PARTY, WE GET 1 YEAR STANDARD WARRANTY...

And lastly again, you are not a DishTV customer so you have zero idea on what I am saying...

Your common/generic replies won't help because not all the D2H companies are same & operate in the same way...

Last edited:
I am in Old Dish Tru HD Set Box in 2012
Old Dish Tru HD Set Box is very good
Hmm me too...I have had to change the box atleast 5-6 times I think since 2012...I never got a new box though, even though I paid for the box each time...Always serviced or refurb boxes were given...

The current box is ok here but little sluggish...Just wanted to know if we can swap the TruHd box to NxtHD & DishTV cc told me that it's not possible to swap the box & we will have to take a whole new connection...So, I told them let's keep the TruHD box for now & will decide later... :)

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock