videocon d2h hd review

• Thread starter dino29
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 24
  • Views: Views 43,707

dino29

Reaction score
firstly let me tell u that d2h still uses dvb s technology for standard definition channels and dvb s2 is only used for hd channels

PICTURE QUALITY
the picture quality of hd channels is not upto the mark. except for ngc hd, all other channels r highly compressed and compression pixels r highly visible
standard definition channels too r compressed to a great extent but good thing is that they have maintained proper algorithm fornula for compression which has not led to breaking of frames unlike what tata sky does and in tata sky picture is completely cracky despite less compression applied.
i compared hd channels of tata sky with hd channels of d2h and found tata sky hd channels quality much much better, infact the beat

d2h also does not apply deblocking which makes picture sharper and more nice

AUDIO QUALITY
audio quality of dh is quite good, sound is crisp and clear for all channels except active music ausio service
5.1 sound is i guess not available till now as when we select 5.1 dolby option, audio goes mute
CHANNEL VARIETY
this is the best thing that d2h has really great array of channels and really everyone gets great variety for every genre of channels,

HARDAWARE QUALITY
sickening thats the word which will u will say when u use d2h hd box, box hangs quite often , box overheats which makes picture move in slow motion, remote functionality for even a simple scrolling thru mini guide and selecting channel to watch is a confusing process
when we press up /down arrow ideally the mini guide should appear and we should b able to scroll to select the desired channel to view it but right now only the channel list appears when we press up/down arrow and we r unable to see what the channel is telecasting while scrolling thru the list
similarly when we press right /left arrow we get the volume less/more option but ideally it should also allow to open mini programme guide and we should able to go thu the next programme list of channel we select thru up/down arrow
even if we press info button and then press arrow up/down to go thru channel mini guide and select any channel to view it, instead of directly selecting that channel and viewing it, the system asks to choose between two options of setting reminder for next repeat or to view the channel, this is really very disturbing and we should b allowed to directly choose the channel thru mini guide selection itself by pressing the ok button

now when we directly swap thru channels and after coming to desired channel, we try to remove the mini guide bannner list,it does not go away even after pressing exit button

also we cannot select setting simultaneously for wide screen and normal tv,it is singular setting system, if u change settings for one, other's settings also get affected

in totality it is not user friendly

i would say if videocon improves picture quality and focuses more on quality, it will surely become the best dth operator but till now there r a few issues which need to b overcomed

I too faced quality problem with videocon products in past but that's why I have not tried d2h yet. :(
But videocon packages are good.
If they provide CAM card, I may go for it.... :tup

dino29 said:
firstly let me tell u that d2h still uses dvb s technology for standard definition channels and dvb s2 is only used for hd channels

NO, Every channel on D2H is DVB-S2 only, (Try tuning them in a DVB-S receiver, if you have doubt)

They are all on SR 43978
FEC - 3/5
8PSK
DVB-S2 , All the tps

That is why they can pack so many channels with such low number of tps,

no dear quickboy dvb s2 transmission always comes fast but svb s transmission is few seconds slow, right now tata sky standard channels r coming excatlt at same pace of that of d2h while as airtel is in dvb s2, it comes few secondsearlier. i am 110 percent sure that d2h is delivering standard channels on dvb s.
and regarding ur point of packing so many channels in 6 tps thats bcoz d2h tps have higher bandwidth os 54 mhz as compared to regular tps which r of 36 mhz

dino29 said:
no dear quickboy dvb s2 transmission always comes fast but svb s transmission is few seconds slow, right now tata sky standard channels r coming excatlt at same pace of that of d2h while as airtel is in dvb s2, it comes few secondsearlier. i am 110 percent sure that d2h is delivering standard channels on dvb s.
and regarding ur point of packing so many channels in 6 tps thats bcoz d2h tps have higher bandwidth os 54 mhz as compared to regular tps which r of 36 mhz

All satellite transmission travels at the speed of light, Which is constant anywhere in the universe,

So unless you are in a BLACK-HOLE which simply absorbs Electromagnetic radiation (or waves), They all will reach you at the same time,

Delay is caused by a slow STB, not because transmission comes late

ANyway try tuning D2H tps with a DVB-S STB and see if you can get anything

well i have seen airtel,tata sky, videocon. airtel is on dvb s2 transmission comes 3 seconds earlier to what it comes in tata sky or videocon. both videocon and tata sky use dvb s for sd channels and dvb s2 for hd channels

dino29 said:
HARDAWARE QUALITY
remote functionality for even a simple scrolling thru mini guide and selecting channel to watch is a confusing process
when we press up /down arrow ideally the mini guide should appear and we should b able to scroll to select the desired channel to view it but right now only the channel list appears when we press up/down arrow and we r unable to see what the channel is telecasting while scrolling thru the list
similarly when we press right /left arrow we get the volume less/more option but ideally it should also allow to open mini programme guide and we should able to go thu the next programme list of channel we select thru up/down arrow
even if we press info button and then press arrow up/down to go thru channel mini guide and select any channel to view it, instead of directly selecting that channel and viewing it, the system asks to choose between two options of setting reminder for next repeat or to view the channel, this is really very disturbing and we should b allowed to directly choose the channel thru mini guide selection itself by pressing the ok button

now when we directly swap thru channels and after coming to desired channel, we try to remove the mini guide bannner list,it does not go away even after pressing exit button

also we cannot select setting simultaneously for wide screen and normal tv,it is singular setting system, if u change settings for one, other's settings also get affected

in totality it is not user friendly

Ok, but that depends on user, I have always found D2H remote really easy to use, Since you are trying it out, read the manual carefully and learn, THe best thing is when you press "OK" it shows the full d2h list and then you can simply choose your fav lists, just pressing a coloured button,

instead of ch list, it would have been best if it showed mini guide and even if we press info and then it shows mini guide,that mini guide again asks for 2 options even after pressing ok, it would have been better if by pressing ok button we would have switced to that channel. and the biggest bad thing is that the info bar does not go away automatically. so too many complications

dino29 said:
instead of ch list, it would have been best if it showed mini guide and even if we press info and then it shows mini guide,that mini guide again asks for 2 options even after pressing ok, it would have been better if by pressing ok button we would have switced to that channel. and the biggest bad thing is that the info bar does not go away automatically. so too many complications

That would be totally confusing, EPG should be on separate buttons only , Why so many confusing steps are required for just a mini guide, On my FTA STB I have disabled the mini guide and simple channel list, There should never be more than a single click to access any menu, and a separate button should be there for each menu, Info should be showing only info , nothing more, Also what I miss on D2H is simply a signal button

dino29 said:

dino bro you are mistaken and wrong .d2h is transmitted in dvb s2 flatform .for both sd and hd channels .

All microwaves travels at the speed of light in vaccoum

The delay is at broadcasting end . To respective provider,

a dth broadcaster need to downlink the source signals from c band .and then thay re-encode the channel while re-encoding prossess the encoder comes into play that how fast it encodes .although every broadcaster use realtime encoders but still thay have thare own properties . The difference will there . For ex . Think a celron processer is equal to dualcore ? No this also applay there

after rencoding those are muxed with other channels to the limited bandwidth of a transponder and uplinked .and again the same thing applies here at downlink .stb's comes into play how fast the decoder can decode the signal . Even in stb the signal has to passed through .rf tuner and then to demodlator chip and the to the descumbler section and the video and audio to be regenarated .while regenarating now the proccess speed and ram comes to play .so each and every decoders have thair own class

dvb s and s2 transmit at same pace .

Here is an example . While dd plus is in dvb s .so take a national channel and watch c band national channel it is also in dvb s . So there is certain time of delay . C band channel is first ,

but dvb s2 has capacity of transmitting 30 percent more data than dvb s to a fixed bandwidth . So s2 can pack more channels than dvb s

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock