Videocon d2h’s plan for 4K channel post World Cup

• Thread starter Thakur
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 42
  • Views: Views 8,847

Thakur

Banned
Reaction score
MUMBAI: Having launched a dedicated multi-genre 4K Ultra HD channel ahead of the ICC Cricket World Cup, direct-to-home (DTH) operator Videocon d2h has started drawing up strategy for its 4K channel after the event.

Videocon d2h plans to offer movies, travel, infotainment and video-on-demand (VoD) content to its UHD subscribers.

Currently, the DTH operator runs repeat of matches to keep the channel alive once the live feed is switched off. “We have a 4K pipe but this is not dedicated to any channel so after this World Cup, we are going to show the movies, documentaries, fashion and travel content,” Videocon d2h CEO Anil Khera said.

Khera said that content for the 4K channel is being sourced from content providers both Indian and foreign. “We have got sufficient content and after the World Cup, we will start running that content on the 4K pipe,” he added.

He also said that the pricing of 4K content is still being worked out.

The DTH operator is currently offering 4K channel free of cost to its existing subscribers for the World Cup if they buy 4K set-top box (STB).

The 4K STB is available at Rs 6,590 for new customers and for existing subscribers it is available at Rs 5,990. “We are not charging anything for offering ICC World Cup feed in 4K from the subscribers.

We want people to experience the new technology,” Khera noted.

The DTH operator had also offered its 4K STBs to leading electronic showrooms to allow people to experience 4K content when they come to buy UHD television sets.

Khera is confident that 4K will see growth with the availability of 4K content. “The adoption rate of 4K panels has been encouraging and the way panel prices are coming down, they will be fairly affordable very soon.

Till now people were buying 4K but there was no 4K input,” he stated. Khera said that one 4K channel is occupying bandwidth equal to 5 HD channels and 25 SD channels. “We had ordered for 10,000 4K STBs and the demand has already started picking up,” Khera revealed.

He further added that the company will start manufacturing 4K STBs as well. “We have outsourced the 4K STBs from outside but very soon we will start doing it in-house.

We have already started working on this and the road maps are ready.” According to Khera, the biggest challenge is the low awareness among consumers about 4K technology. “The biggest challenge we are facing is that people do not know what 4K is.

They think that if they buy a 4K TV, all the channels will automatically become 4K!” he averred. Khera said that Videocon d2h has started educating customers about the technology. “We are telling them that they can only watch 4K channel in 4K using the UHD STB while HD channel will continue to be HD and SD will continue to be SD,” he stated

Read more at: 
Videocon d2h’s plan for 4K channel post World Cup | TelevisionPost.com

Good news for D2H 4K users

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Good news and share but my stand will always remain as 4k is going to be flop same as d2h 3d, as d2h use to show repeat content on 3d channel and everyone got new so called 3D HD STB and now we all the end of it, the same history will follow for 4k channel too, i wont say much let the coming days do the talking.

At one point of time they were the leading hd channels dth provider with 22 hd channels. Now they have fallen way behind in that race by 11 hd channels to Dish TV.

On one hand they say there is space issue and on the other hand instead of adding five hd channels they are adding 4k channel which does not even have 1/100 of hd subscribers. Strange call!!

Good news but ill say its to costly for country like india.....

ayanc99 said:
At one point of time they were the leading hd channels dth provider with 22 hd channels. Now they have fallen way behind in that race by 11 hd channels to Dish TV.

On one hand they say there is space issue and on the other hand instead of adding five hd channels they are adding 4k channel which does not even have 1/100 of hd subscribers. Strange call!!
Videocon D2H is an useless DTH. They have to add 7-8 HD channels. Such as-STAR SPORTS HD4,MTV INDIES HD,&TV HD,ANIMAL PLANET HD,TLC HD WORLD,FOX LIFE HD,NAT GEO WILD HD,NAT GEO ADVENTURE HD. But they are just fooling us.. They are also in space crunch and don't have any future satellite/satellites. So,I decided to move to Dish Tru HD in next month..:wall

sas123 said:
Videocon D2H is an useless DTH. They have to add 7-8 HD channels. Such as-STAR SPORTS HD4,MTV INDIES HD,&PICTURES HD,ANIMAL PLANET HD,TLC HD WORLD,FOX LIFE HD,NAT GEO WILD HD,NAT GEO ADVENTURE HD. But they are just fooling us.. They are also in space crunch and don't have any future satellite/satellites. So,I decided to move to Dish Tru HD in next month..:wall

I agree with you bro. Please correct, it is not &pictures HD but it is &TV HD.

So, if a DTH can be called as a useless DTH only because of not having the listed HD channels, then the below DTH are also useless.

Airtel Digital TV - Not having the same list of channels.
Tata Sky - Not having the same list of channels.
Sun Direct - Not having the same list of channels.
Reliance Digital TV - Not having the same list of channels.
DD Free Dish - Not having the same list of channels.

Sadiq said:
I agree with you bro. Please correct, it is not &pictures HD but it is &TV HD.

So, if a DTH can be called as a useless DTH only because of not having the listed HD channels, then the below DTH are also useless.

Airtel Digital TV - Not having the same list of channels.
Tata Sky - Not having the same list of channels.
Sun Direct - Not having the same list of channels.
Reliance Digital TV - Not having the same list of channels.
DD Free Dish - Not having the same list of channels.

Airtel has future satellite ABS-2A with lots and lots of TP.
Tata Sky is working on GSAT-10,ASIA-SAT 7&8.
But what is for D2H??? It seems till now that they don't have any future plan. Except the 4K drama..:no
Tell me if they are good then why they are not providing all the HD channels available in India??? Why??:wall :wall:wall :huh

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock