Viewer should have multiple options to choose MSO-Shyam Kumar, Puthiya Thalaimurai

M.J.Sadiq

M Jahabar Sadiq
Contributor
Reaction score
In conversation with exchange4media, Shyam Kumar speaks about the cable digitisation drive in Chennai, the challenges and opportunities for channels in the Southern markets, Puthiya Thalaimurai’s GEC foray and more…

What are your expectations from the cable TV digitisation process in Chennai? What are the challenges and roadblocks that lie ahead?

At one point of time, the market has to open up. As far as expectations go, viewer should be provided with multiple options to choose from when it comes to TV distribution. Just as if I wanted to get a Wi-Fi connection, I can opt for the services of Reliance, Airtel or BSNL.

However, it is a different and difficult scenario in Chennai. The distribution is often hampered by political interference, which leads to major roadblocks.

How have regional channels (news and GECs) been faring in the South in terms of attracting viewership and ad revenues? What are the challenges and areas of growth for regional channels over the next five years?

The market dynamics have changed drastically – distribution is going through a lot of change both in terms of cable and digitisation. Amidst all this, we have to deliver content as per the expectations and satisfaction of the viewers. We as a group would like to concentrate on the content, the revenue is incidental.

Distribution is the biggest challenge in the Southern markets. Reach has to be established. Viewers are confused as to whether to opt for a digital platform or a cable network. You and I can talk about DAS, etc., but the common man is not aware of what’s happening in the media arena. Therefore, viewers have to be reached, educated and their doubts clarified.

Another challenge is that of content management. Today, almost all reality shows are film-based – be it singing, acting or dancing competition. Viewers will have to be sensitised to the fact that there is much more to entertainment than those with movie origin. We need to really address this, because it is reaching a stage where you are duplicating everything. There hardly any scope for originality and creativity.

More at,
http://www.exchange4media.com/51796...ggest-challenge-in-the-southern-markets”.html

Sadiq said:
In conversation with exchange4media, Shyam Kumar speaks about the cable digitisation drive in Chennai, the challenges and opportunities for channels in the Southern markets, Puthiya Thalaimurai’s GEC foray and more…

What are your expectations from the cable TV digitisation process in Chennai? What are the challenges and roadblocks that lie ahead?

At one point of time, the market has to open up. As far as expectations go, viewer should be provided with multiple options to choose from when it comes to TV distribution. Just as if I wanted to get a Wi-Fi connection, I can opt for the services of Reliance, Airtel or BSNL.

However, it is a different and difficult scenario in Chennai. The distribution is often hampered by political interference, which leads to major roadblocks.

How have regional channels (news and GECs) been faring in the South in terms of attracting viewership and ad revenues? What are the challenges and areas of growth for regional channels over the next five years?

The market dynamics have changed drastically – distribution is going through a lot of change both in terms of cable and digitisation. Amidst all this, we have to deliver content as per the expectations and satisfaction of the viewers. We as a group would like to concentrate on the content, the revenue is incidental.

Distribution is the biggest challenge in the Southern markets. Reach has to be established. Viewers are confused as to whether to opt for a digital platform or a cable network. You and I can talk about DAS, etc., but the common man is not aware of what’s happening in the media arena. Therefore, viewers have to be reached, educated and their doubts clarified.

Another challenge is that of content management. Today, almost all reality shows are film-based – be it singing, acting or dancing competition. Viewers will have to be sensitised to the fact that there is much more to entertainment than those with movie origin. We need to really address this, because it is reaching a stage where you are duplicating everything. There hardly any scope for originality and creativity.

More at,
“Distribution is the biggest challenge in the Southern markets”

I wish the same happens sooner. Multiple LCO's and/or multiple MSO's in the same area would be the only solution to defeat the monopolism in cable television. the longer the monopolism the sooner the local cable be gone.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock