Watching SD channels in Full HDTV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Watching SD channels in Full HDTV

How does it look?

Whether it looks crap?

Full HDTV only for HD Channels

I searched in many website they say SD channels look worse in HDTV.

HDTV meant only for HDTV.

Please share your experience.

Why Does My HDTV Have Poor SD Picture Quality?

1. Your HDTV may be a lot larger than your old TV, so it's a bit like putting a magnifying glass to a newspaper. For example, a 50" HDTV is roughly 4 times as large as a 27" TV. Don't sit too close to the TV - recommended minimum viewing distance for SD is roughly 2 times screen size (diagonal measurement).

2. Your HDTV shows a lot more detail than an SDTV and you're seeing all the "poor signal qualities".

3. Your HDTV needs to be set up properly (for each input) - typically lower your sharpness, take the TV off "vivid/dynamic mode" and read the Digital Home FAQ (under help) "What you need to do to your new HDTV". Link Below:

4. Many times the incoming signal is simply poor. If it's analogue, you may need more signal strength. If it's digital, there may be too much compression and there's not much to be done about the latter. Cable companies are headed towards an all-digital lineup and some already have it.

5. Have a look at the "best looking SD channel." If that one looks "good", then you know it's not the TV, but the reception/signal of the other "poorer" channels. The best SD channel can have roughly the same picture quality as a DVD.

6. If you have just purchased a CRT-based RPTV, they can appear a little "grainy" when new. After about a month, they tend to look smoother.

7. Some cable STBs do not output the best SD (analogue) quality. To test if this is the case, connect the cable directly to your TV's tuner and see whether that makes a difference (especially earlier Motorola STBs). You could then split the cable upstream of the cable STB and view the analogue channels with your TV's tuner (Splitter 1000MHz or 1GHz). You could also consider RF-coax, composite, or S-video connections for the SD channels from the STB to the TV.

8. If you have a STB, make sure you've configured it correctly in the setup menu for 480i signals. Often the "default" settings are not the best and you may be sending the "incorrect/inappropriate" signals to the TV. Many STBs for example come with a "default" setting to convert all incoming signals to 1080i - this may not be the best setup, although with most new STBs, the differences are slight. Many times the best setting is called "passthrough, or something similar", which allows incoming signal to flow unchanged through the STB to the TV - experiment with settings to see what you prefer.

9. If you didn't have digital cable or satellite before you bought the TV, and acquired it at the same time, you may be unfamiliar with digital TV which has certain good qualities but also 'bad qualities' - like compression artifacts...

10. If you have the equivalent HD channel, watch the programme on the HD channel, even if it's upconverted, and not true HD. The upconverters that the affiliates utilize are usually much better than the ones in your TV. Just be careful about burn in if you have a CRT-based TV or a plasma. Remember, SD doesn't HAVE to look bad on an HDTV, and it SHOULDN'T look bad on an HDTV, but there are lots of reasons why it CAN look bad on an HDTV.

11. Analogue channels are subject to interference and degradation with poor signal strength. Digital channels are not subject to the same interference or degradation - they are only subject to the "compression" the service provider does.

12. Although not inexpensive, some people have used scalers (iScan for example) to improve SD PQ. Some people have also had improvements by going "through" a DVD recorder - depends on the STB, Recorder, TV, settings, etc.

13. Not all HDTVs are created equally when it comes to the upconversion of SD signals. Some are better at it than others, although the TV is not what has the largest impact - it's the quality of the signal and the settings on the TV.

14. If you have a TV that's not subject to burn in, then you should not stretch the image. Leave it as 4:3 and you'll have the best PQ and no image distortion. Since most people now watch mostly HD and DVDs, the burn in issue is not as much of an issue as it used to be.

Remember, SD doesn't HAVE to look bad on an HDTV, and it SHOULDN'T look bad on an HDTV, but there are lots of reasons why it CAN look bad on an HDTV.

Not like that my fren ! If you watch SD channels in Piller Box Mode (Black bars on sides, Picture in 4:3 ratio), U will see excellent quality.
I am using ADTV HD and Samsung 40" LED 6 Series. In ADTV HD STB In a single setting we can watch HD Channels in 16:9 mode and SD Channels in 4:3. Only thing the TV manufactures advise NOT to watch long time with Black Bars on sides.

no matter what signal you give( analog or digital) on HDTV tv... only hd channel will look good.HD has a high resolution 1080p where as SD has lower resolution obviously it will not look that good.

So what is the solution?

Black bars will destroy the tv as per user manual

Watch all SD channels crap:(

HD channels = SD channels at big screen?
SD channels = crap?

Not all SD channels look crap on Full HDTV,if some look worse some look better.it depends on paricular channel.but you cannot expect the picture quality which is available in Normal SDTV.yes i too believe that black bars will harm the screen.Somewhere on the net i have read the plasma tv's are suitable for watching SD channels as it offers best PQ.but i dont recommend anyone to buy as it will burn the pocket because most of them may be knowing about burn in problem that might occur when the same picture is displayed on the tv screen for a long period of time.correct me if i am wrong...

There is device which can upscale SD channels to Near HD its not available in india..Its expensive even in USA.. i will get the details of the device soon.

The Big TV HD Claims that , all SD Channels upscaled to HD Quality.RD TV HD customers only can confirm the statement. The RDTV HD also claims that the SD channels are filling the entire 16:9 frame without horizontal distortion or black bars on sides and top n bottom.

No device can upscale the sd to hd .
it can increase the sd quality by 20-30%.

hii,

i am using tatasky on my bravia 46 led tv... but i don't think that picture quality is worst on that... some channels having excellent PQ... so don't confusion on that...

:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock