Discussion What is the future of Satellite TV and FTA channels as IPTV/OTT is now coming to our market

MengiKemboi

Reaction score
Experts, what is the future of satellite tv and fta channels. Digital innovation is improving and IPTV is now coming to our market.

Internet is now no more cheap. DTH is still affordable and cheap compare to OTT/internet . So obviously according to current situation present and future of DTH and satellite channels is good.

If we want to watch shows & movies on ONLY OTT (Netflix, Prime, Hotstar, Zee5, LIV, Voot, Alt Balaji, etc.), then we've to pay around ₹1500/month!
But in DTH, we can get all of our favorite genre & language’s channels in ₹500/month.

though TV and Streaming services has got completely different type of viewers.

If we want to watch shows & movies on ONLY OTT (Netflix, Prime, Hotstar, Zee5, LIV, Voot, Alt Balaji, etc.), then we've to pay around ₹1500/month!
But in DTH, we can get all of our favorite genre & language’s channels in ₹500/month.

though TV and Streaming services has got completely different type of viewers.
Thanks. I do appreciate for your response. We have Dstv paytv package but very costly but others are slightly cheaper. I normally concentrate on FTA which its ok.

now I am reopening this thread.

With current situations, Jio offering backup plans (airtel copying them shamelessly), bundling OTT and Live TV with FTTH, Airtel offering DTH along with fiber, BSNL Launching IPTV, and regional players having their own setups, do you think linear TV (cable or DTH) will still survive in 5 years? It is high time, IPTV is relaunched and the tariffs are revised. One Home, One Wire, Triple Play is the future. We are soo late but we are doing it, I think.
We should have a carrier-neutral IPTV. Triple play should be made a norm.
Jio has somehow mastered it, by integrating their OTT apps, and launching a seperate UI for the same.

We have so many OTT apps all from the major and now many minor TV networks, all of them showcasing whatever LIVE TV they have under their belt.
Everybody is launching OTTs. Everybody wants to be a player.
But why is still this age old tech being used?
Cable TVs were killed by DTH.
Now DTH will be killed by Triple Play and FTTH.
FTTH will stay for atleast 2 or 3 decades.
Maybe, 5G will kill FTTH? Who knows😏
The future is now.

Last edited:
now I am reopening this thread.

With current situations, Jio offering backup plans (airtel copying them shamelessly), bundling OTT and Live TV with FTTH, Airtel offering DTH along with fiber, BSNL Launching IPTV, and regional players having their own setups, do you think linear TV (cable or DTH) will still survive in 5 years? It is high time, IPTV is relaunched and the tariffs are revised. One Home, One Wire, Triple Play is the future. We are soo late but we are doing it, I think.
We should have a carrier-neutral IPTV. Triple play should be made a norm.
Jio has somehow mastered it, by integrating their OTT apps, and launching a seperate UI for the same.

We have so many OTT apps all from the major and now many minor TV networks, all of them showcasing whatever LIVE TV they have under their belt.
Everybody is launching OTTs. Everybody wants to be a player.
But why is still this age old tech being used?
Cable TVs were killed by DTH.
Now DTH will be killed by Triple Play and FTTH.
FTTH will stay for atleast 2 or 3 decades.
Maybe, 5G will kill FTTH? Who knows😏
The future is now.

All platforms will continue to grow and expand, each has its audience and various pros & cons which will translate into a good/healthy competition developing among them. Also TRAI has already said that they r working towards building a level playing fields for all such services which will further help all platforms to keep pace with each other

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock