What makes ‘Mastiii’ India’s number one music channel?

Thakur

Banned
Reaction score
In a genre as expendable as a music television channel, which runs on similar and fairly limited content, one would have thought that youth-focussed channels like MTV or VH1 would be market leaders.

But that’s not the case. A strangely spelt music channel, Mastiii, owned by Sri Adhikari Brothers Television Network Limited (SABTNL), has been number one for close to five years now.

Data from the Broadcast Audience Research Council (BARC) India for the week of 24-30 September, 2016 shows 115,466 impressions for Mastiii compared to B4U, the number two channel at 75,871 impressions.

Impressions refer to the number of individuals in thousands of a target audience who viewed an event, averaged across minutes. BARC India is the country’s TV viewership monitoring agency.

The success story, to a large extent, industry experts say, is based on the way the channel has meticulously captured the rural market.

While Mastiii’leads at an all-India level with a 20% share of the music market, followed byB4U at 13%, its share of the rural market is 24% followed by B4U at 17%. But its share of the urban Indian market is far lower at 17%, followed by B4U at 10%. It also dominates the rural Hindi-speaking markets at 23%, followed by B4U at 18%.

Unlike channels with a music-plus-youth focus—such as Zing, MTV and 9X—Mastiiihas chosen to focus on the pure music model to appeal to its rural audience.

“We’ve come a long way from the era of MTV video jockeys. People don’t want to listen to people talking. For a vast rural audience, I don’t think content matters so much. They just want songs and basic entertainment through music. The strength of rural is being leveraged better by Mastiii (than by others),” said Vimal Parthasarathy, senior principal partner, south and west, media, Dentsu Media, the media arm of integrated advertising agency Dentsu India Group.

Further, packaging, which is crucial to a genre that plays on similar and limited content, is something Mastiii seems to be doing better than others, Parthasarathy added. For one, several songs are bundled together without breaks—shows like Mastiii Doubles and Love Kal Aaj aur Kal are examples. There is some non-music programming but only as long as it plays back to music: one of the channel’s most popular shows, for example, is The Golden Era with Annu Kapoor, a nostalgic take on Indian cinema, complete with anecdotes on classic films and music interspersed with songs.

The highest spikes for viewership for the channel happen in the 6:30 am-12 noon slot with a peak at 9 am and then again between 4-7pm.

“I guess people are getting ready for work and the channel is playing in the background. You don’t have to be actively watching. So it’s replacing the age-old radio,” Parthasarathy said. “Are they actually watching or just listening is the question. But it’s (the channel) still doing its job.”

Consumer behaviour studies have taught all music channels including Mastiii much. As long as the language communicates, a good product reverberates across audience.

http://www.livemint.com/Consumer/RY35AfQ89vGsPMPHKIyrBM/What-makes-Mastiii-Indias-number-one-music-channel.html

The evergreen hit songs , which are no het available almost on any channel ... That make s it unique ... Because new songs are available all over the net and all channels , but the evergreen songs are rare to find with good quality .
Also the 30 min non stop hits for a single singer,actor or actress is nice concept ..

Yes Mastiii is a very good music channel :)

Optimus_Prime said:
I like to hear Mastii, B4u , Jalwa channel more than 9xm and Mtv, mix

me too bro:eek:hya
even I like b4u music more than mastii because it shows very rare & unique songs many times:tup
mastii shows some repeated songs only.
many songs from films like albela, kaho na pyar hai not being showed on any channel:)
even not on above too

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock