Discussion What's responsible for niche sports from disappearing from TVs?

What led to downfall of niche sporting events from tv?

• Total voters

The Lonelier Island

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Till date I am still upset and angry from the fact we didn't got Copa America Cup on TV. Leaving Copa America Cup from here as it happens once in 4 years. But what about La Liga? It has completely disappeared from Satellite TV.

Let's leave my personal interest aside. There are couple of sports with no legal means to watch anyone like Bundesliga. Just last season India had Bundesliga. It's gone. But there is still hope as Baseball has returned to tv after a long break.

So let's discuss what led to downfall?

This is not just vote, complain and leave thread. What is required to fix the gap and bring back niche sporting events to tv?

Many thing lead to this, anyways viewer base will always b small for such sports and viewers need to pay more for tv subscription so that broadcasters can afford to buy rights... Ofcourse cricket price correction will help a lot in making overall business strategy economically viable.

Saying this, i must point out that DSport doing brilliant work as far as niche sports is concerned... Moment it acquires more cricket these will start reducing

Many thing lead to this, anyways viewer base will always b small for such sports and viewers need to pay more for tv subscription so that broadcasters can afford to buy rights... Ofcourse cricket price correction will help a lot in making overall business strategy economically viable.

Saying this, i must point out that DSport doing brilliant work as far as niche sports is concerned... Moment it acquires more cricket these will start reducing
Which channel are you referring to one from Eurosport or 1Sport?

Look I personally blame TRAI's NTO. As a casual MMA fan I might watch UFC, Bellator or ONE. I might stumble upon a fight. But I wouldn't take the time and effort to find the channel and add it to pack. This is how Rugby, Hockey, Athletics etc. can be watched. Now that we have to particularly get the channel or be a GEC fan to get the channels by default on the package in the form of bouquets. It is bad for both the broadcaster and the sport.

I would blame Cricket and the obssession among Indians to watch matches highlights even if they are some lousy matches. This fact is further proved by the fact how much respect and earnings a C- class Indian team member makes over a world class , say, a shuttler or even a Olympic grade medallist.

This boils down to the attitude of the broadcasters in India. Networks like Star and Sony know Cricket rights involving Indian team is cash cow.

There is going to be a time when cricket rights of Indian team and IPL would be sold at correct values. Right now it's over-rated. Indian team has stumbled badly at ICC level tournaments over the last decade, unless they are playing in sub-continent.

Now, most of Indians don't like watching football or motorsports or any other sports because they
don't have either the intellect to know about other sports or have no intention of watching any other sport.
Indian Broadcasters ,in general, know that.

Networks like Sony and Star have dedicated channels / blocks of pushing cricket match highlights all day and night even if there are important matches like UEFA Europa league or Champions league as in case of Sony and previously Bundesliga in case of Star.

for me it's because less compition between broadcaster. star and sony sports know whatever the scenario 1spors and eurosports never catch them in television rights acquire market. sony tries to be unique by almost 24 hrs football channel ten 2 and they are also shiw diffrent type of content on other sony channels to and most importantly never move match from sd to hd but star is just pathetic star 3 also show cricket and ipl highlight which is so called football channel by star sports even tgey sometime move sporrs event's other than cricket in sd channel only which is dabba ( for star sports) and after sony shutdown sony kix is realy disappointing call that channel is good shows copa america even world cup qualifier match. and i think trai rule make easy viewer to move from broadcaster burdain now you can watch and pay for that match only by pay per day channel price you now not need to carry for whole month to just see same match highlights

for me it's because less compition between broadcaster. star and sony sports know whatever the scenario 1spors and eurosports never catch them in television rights acquire market. sony tries to be unique by almost 24 hrs football channel ten 2 and they are also shiw diffrent type of content on other sony channels to and most importantly never move match from sd to hd but star is just pathetic star 3 also show cricket and ipl highlight which is so called football channel by star sports even tgey sometime move sporrs event's other than cricket in sd channel only which is dabba ( for star sports) and after sony shutdown sony kix is realy disappointing call that channel is good shows copa america even world cup qualifier match. and i think trai rule make easy viewer to move from broadcaster burdain now you can watch and pay for that match only by pay per day channel price you now not need to carry for whole month to just see same match highlights
Pay as you go is good for hardcore viewers. Not casual viewers browsing channels to watch something entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock