Discussion What's your opinion on broadcasters' still launching SD channels in the year 2020?

The Lonelier Island

Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
So let's discuss about the Indian tv broadcasters' who are launching and considering launching SD channels in the day and age of 4K. What's your opinion on it?

To me personally I think it is holding back not only the industry but the country too. In a way it's discouraging viewers from upgrading to HD. And it's also wastage of precious resources when channels can be downscaled for SD viewers.

It is influenced by various factors like TRAI NTO, the rural audience still being predominant (although most villages should have HDTVs now) and the difficulty in keeping HD-only channels running (Sony realised this quickly when shutting down Sony Rox HD and Le Plex HD).

I don't know if channels such as Dangal and Shemaroo TV would make sense in HD and @dino29 bro has been advocating for Star Bharat HD to be shut down as well (which will be great since that hideously huge logo will no longer disturb us).

On the other hand, the music genre is sorely missing HD channels and—now that Sony has completely pulled out of the race—the likes of Mastiii, Zoom, 9XM and B4U Music should have launched HD channels by now as they are very old players in the genre.

The point is that broadcasters are not with the customers goodiness but they only want money.......Till now they are getting more money from sd than hd......They hav nothing with picture quality that what custamors get

i think 4K channels in country like India would be difficult too launch for broadcasters as of price cap and govt institutions interfering in pricing of channels...4K content is expensive and in rs19 they cant make profit...even normal english lifestyle channels in HD like history or TLC are repeating content or showing old content as thats not the case with international history channels or TLC they show new shows as their prices are high and in India they are giving in peanuts price...

i think 4K channels in country like India would be difficult too launch for broadcasters as of price cap and govt institutions interfering in pricing of channels...4K content is expensive and in rs19 they cant make profit...even normal english lifestyle channels in HD like history or TLC are repeating content or showing old content as thats not the case with international history channels or TLC they show new shows as their prices are high and in India they are giving in peanuts price...
Discussion is not on 4K. It's on HD. Infotainment channels even before NTO was repeating same content. The content is not expensive to acquire. It has wider reach because of multiple language feeds. I don't know what's stopping them from offering something fresh.

Last edited:

I don't think there is any price cap as far as I know. Only if the broadcaster wants the channels to be included in bouquets, its capped at ₹19 which will be further reduced to ₹12 if the judgement on NTO 2.O comes in favour of TRAI. I feel like if that's reduced to ₹12 most channels will happily increase their prices and forces consumers to subscribe them in Al acarte if they want them.

@DJ Roy bro! I agree with your view however, I hate when HD channels don't deliver Quality. I have this complaint with Gemini channels which telecasts old programs and movies in poor quality without properly upscaling them.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock