Discussion Why India does not have a commercial broadcaster like ITV?

Mylanji

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm discussing this topic because the 'id*ot box' as we call it originated, or rather was invented in the UK. The first television broadcast in the world happened in the UK through British Broadcasting Corporation or BBC. There were two channels called BBC1 and BBC2, and they both ran on terrestrial transmitters, just like DD.

However, in 1954, the house of commons introduced a new law that led to the birth of ITV, or Independent Television as it was then known. (full details: Television Act 1954 - Wikipedia). They too used terrestrial transmitters. Moreover, each channel under ITV had a different identity when it launched.

While in India, DD (or PB) still holds the monopoly in the terrestrial network. In spite of a recommendation by TRAI, the government has not yet allowed commercial broadcasting on terrestrial networks.

So why can't, or rather why doesn't India have its own ITV? Is it because :
  1. The UK is a unilingual country and India is not?
  2. The franchise system of broadcasting that ITV used will not work in India?
  3. Any other reason?
If you wish to join the discussion, feel free to share your opinions.

Yup i think option 1 is the reason
Why? I mean if different regional companies can broadcast on cable and satellite, what's wrong with having different regional services under one umbrella? The companies would be regulated by an authority just like ITV, but they shall have the freedom to retain their identities.

Terrestrial system is shutdown in most of area in india .dd not available in terrestrial system soon all india.
Also the public broadcaster and private is not share any project till now ..
The latest example is indian cricket matches is not available in private dth via dd sports ..because problems are sharing ad revenue issue and broadcast issue
So dd sports only available on dd free dish with special feed

Why? I mean if different regional companies can broadcast on cable and satellite, what's wrong with having different regional services under one umbrella? The companies would be regulated by an authority just like ITV, but they shall have the freedom to retain their identities.
What about ad revenue ?? Who'll give ads to them ??

Terrestrial system is shutdown in most of area in india .dd not available in terrestrial system soon all india.
Also the public broadcaster and private is not share any project till now ..
The latest example is indian cricket matches is not available in private dth via dd sports ..because problems are sharing ad revenue issue and broadcast issue
So dd sports only available on dd free dish with special feed
What about DTT? I mean can't there be a system where alongside the DD channels that run on DTT, some channels are reserved on the same platform for commercial broadcasters?

For example, if a company, say Rajdhani TV gets the license to broadcast as a regional service in Delhi from the ITA, two DTT transmitters may be reserved for the same. One transmitter will serve as a national broadcast service of ITA, where Rajdhani TV can timeshare its feed like DD channels. While the other frequency will solely be run by Rajdhani TV as a separate feed.

So, Prasar Bharati deliberately keeps private corporations out OTA? I haven't found any kind of law or anything that forbids any business to start over-the-air spectrum use.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock