Why is ESPN not returning to India?

CloudCraze

Reaction score
Why is ESPN not returning to India? Everything is back in the Netherlands and Africa? In Asia, ESPN's programs such as SportsCentre and ESPNFC have recently been shown on FOX Sports channels. No ESPN event has been shown in India since the acquisition of Disney. Is there any clause in the agreement with Sony to prevent ESPN's return? If anyone knows, please let me know ..
oOeLJeQ.jpg

ESPN is owned by Walt Disney which is also the Owner of Star India. Star India already has their sports channels in India under the umbrella of Star Sports Network. So there is no particular need for brand ESPN to comeback when Star sports is already there. If Disney plans to give a uniform brading for all Sports channels across world, then they may rebrand Star sports and fox sports to ESPN. For your particular question regarding ESPN FC and SportsCentre, Star sports Select is already telecasting ESPN FC in their channels eventhough i have not seen SportsCentre in any of them.

Not only rebranding to ESPN, Star Sports Channels require structural reforms. Most of their channels are waste of space, airing repetitive highlights day in day out. They apply absolutely no mind while broadcasting the rights they have. So unless Disney overhaul the Star Sports Network, the chances are slim.

ESPN is owned by Walt Disney which is also the Owner of Star India. Star India already has their sports channels in India under the umbrella of Star Sports Network. So there is no particular need for brand ESPN to comeback when Star sports is already there. If Disney plans to give a uniform brading for all Sports channels across world, then they may rebrand Star sports and fox sports to ESPN. For your particular question regarding ESPN FC and SportsCentre, Star sports Select is already telecasting ESPN FC in their channels eventhough i have not seen SportsCentre in any of them.
Like you said a uniform branding can probably happen. This is because after the Walt Disney Company bought the 21st Century Fox, all Fox-branded channels in Latin American countries are now under the Star brand. All Fox Sports Latin American channels were merged into ESPN. Fox Sports in Africa and the Netherlands has completely rebranded itself as ESPN. In Asia, all except four or five channels under Fox Network Asia will be closed on October 1. The head of Disney Asia Pacific has not yet clarified whether or not to bring ESPN there to replace Fox Sports. ESPN is one of the most successful sports brands in India. They have received the same acceptance as ESPN-Star Sports when it came to Sony's partnership. When Disney integrates all sports channels into a single brand, there is a chance that only the ESPN brand will exist. However, as Star Sports is a very successful brand in India like ESPN, the Star Sports brand will co-exist with ESPN only in India / Asia.

Not only rebranding to ESPN, Star Sports Channels require structural reforms. Most of their channels are waste of space, airing repetitive highlights day in day out. They apply absolutely no mind while broadcasting the rights they have. So unless Disney overhaul the Star Sports Network, the chances are slim.
I totally agree with what you said. Undoubtedly, Star Sports has a very bad management and marketing strategy. They do not even market a single sporting event (except IPL) for which they have broadcast rights. They need to look at and learn how Sony and Viacom are marketing a sporting event.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock