Your favourite television channels may cost more.

Shantanu Upadhyay

Contributor
Reaction score
Top television broadcast networks, including Star, Zee and Sony Pictures, have decided not to offer their channels in the basic pack of cable and DTH operators, once the new tariff order for the industry comes into effect, multiple highly placed people have confirmed to ET.

This will be a shock for viewers who were expecting a significant drop in monthly cable or DTH bill, as many of their favourite channels will not be available in the basic pack capped at Rs 130 (plus taxes) by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) in its tariff order.

Your favourite television channels may cost more

I think this is alarmist reaction from broadcasters. By making FTA channels pay no one is going to lose but the broadcaster itself. I mean users want quality pay channel. They don't want dozens ad-sponsored channels with low quality content. It's time to consolidate the Indian television industry.

I think this is alarmist reaction from broadcasters. By making FTA channels pay no one is going to lose but the broadcaster itself. I mean users want quality pay channel. They don't want dozens ad-sponsored channels with low quality content. It's time to consolidate the Indian television industry.
This may force people to pick individual channels and FTA channels would end being left out :)
Also we see apps like jio tv or Airtel tv offering tv channels for free, so people may also slowly start moving more towards them when they want to watch a particular show in any channel.

This may force people to pick individual channels and FTA channels would end being left out :)
Also we see apps like jio tv or Airtel tv offering tv channels for free, so people may also slowly start moving more towards them when they want to watch a particular show in any channel.
Yep. It seems 'the war on basepacks' is actually being done by premium broadcasters themselves. If premium broadcasters abandon FTA channels they will force customers to take all favorite pay channels in alacarte. This will wipe out DTH FTA channels and carriage fee model. DTHs will never give up on FTA channels but TRAI rules will let customers take alacarte packs.

Yes but in the long run they may also start charging for the services.By making FTA channels pay one possibility is channels may have more reach and make way on Dth specifically where most of them are missing.

Yes but in the long run they may also start charging for the services.By making FTA channels pay one possibility is channels may have more reach and make way on Dth specifically where most of them are missing.
I don't think apps would be made paid in next 1 year atleast but eventually would be paid but still may be offered as bundle by telecom operator for minimal extra price.

I believe people would be ready to pay for FTA channels if they provide quality content with less crappy sponsored ad's :)

Dths are looters here too they receive carriage fee for fta channels from broadcasters and also charge money for this fta channels from customers

Dths are looters here too they receive carriage fee for fta channels from broadcasters and also charge money for this fta channels from customers

man u make no sense can you pls name one fta channel which is being charged too u and is not available on ur base pack dont tell me those advertisement channels are being charged by ur dths.... and what about the channels who make hell lot of money from advertisements and plus fighting with dths for revenues sharing aswell

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock