Airtel working on a hybrid DTH Set Top Box to provide online surfing via WiFi

rahul1117kumar

Contributor
Reaction score
Bharti Airtel , India’s largest telecom operator is working on a hybrid DTH Set Top Box which will provide online surfing and DTH over Wi-Fi or via fiber cable, according to a report.

The report said that Airtel is making this move to make the most out of the ongoing traction in online content space. The device is disruptive and can give tough competition to Reliance Jio ’s STB.

The telco is also in talks with global content providers for bundling content services to its upcoming DTH device, the report added. Rumors suggest that Airtel is in talks with
Netflix and is looking forward to a content partnership.

A partnership between Airtel and Netflix can prove revolutionary for the industry as it would be one of its kind.

The launch of Airtel’s STB is expected in near future, currently the telco has 12.5 million customers for its DTH services. Airtel is also aggressively rolling out its V-Fiber internet service which will aid its DTH service.

Also, Reliance Jio had reportedly started rolling out the Jio Fiber service or Fiber To The Home (FTTH) service in Mumbai around mid January.
Recently, a leaked picture showed Reliance Jio’s round set top box for its DTH service which it is reportedly working on. The device supposedly connects to Jio fiber or dish. The picture also showed a remote control that has a mic button suggesting that there could be voice-controlled features.

It would be a major development if Airtel comes up with voice-controlled features too for its STB.

Airtel: airtel working on a hybrid dth set top box to provide online surfing via wifi: report, Telecom News, ET Telecom

If this turns true, I'm gonna ditch my hathway cable box and hop onto airtel for all the mentioned features. I already have an airtel BB at my home.

BUT

Then there's JIO

customers will be spoilt for choices!!!

Airtel's android box will have play store also,we can download apps via play store.

Source:CC

Airtel is reportedly looking to take on Jio's IPTV based DTH with its hybrid DTH STB service

Jio it seems may not be alone in the new business as Airtel too is reportedly looking to take on Jio's IPTV based DTH with its hybrid DTH STB service. The impact however will depend on the STB features.

Airtel's high-tech hybrid too reportedly works on the same principle. Airtel will use the fibre to home (FTTH) service to connect the STBs, allowing viewers to stream content online.

Jio DTH & Airtel 'hybrid' reports gain currency | Indian Television Dot Com

hope we can exchange it with hd box once when its going to be avaliable in future

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock