Astro Malaysia in talks to buy Reliance DTH biz

Sun Direct, Astro, Reliance Digital TV and the sniffing of a deal

MUMBAI: For billionaire Anil Ambani, holding on to his anaemic direct-to-home (DTH) business makes no sense. The future of Reliance Digital TV under the debt-laden Reliance Communications is dark, as it struggles with a tiny 2% market share in a rapidly growing DTH universe of 62.65 million active subscribers. The way out is its acquisition by Malaysia-based Astro in a separate deal, along with the merger of RCom’s wireless business with Aircel.

Though Astro has interests in DTH, it will be too far-fetched to think that it will have the ambition to run Reliance Digital TV on its own. The sector is hyper-competitive, there are too many players and Reliance Digital TV is like a half-built enterprise. Consolidation is the path ahead after Dish TV and Videocon d2h agreed to merge their assets to create the world’s second-largest DTH company by subscribers.

If a deal is to be hatched, Reliance Digital TV will necessarily have to move to Sun Direct. For Astro, the utility will be in strengthening Sun Direct, the company in which it has a 20% stake. Taking Astro’s acquisition route as a transitionary step will mean that the Malaysian company will increase its stake in Sun Direct subsequent to a merger. The other route could be a direct acquisition by Sun Direct.

Sun Direct, Astro, Reliance Digital TV and the sniffing of a deal | TelevisionPost.com

Any new news regarding Reliance Digital TV? Is the RDTV business is selling to Astro or any other party? Any member please confirm, if, any information is available with them.

No dont think so. RDTV now adding new channels like NXT. So Mr Ambani is not a fool to do right at this moment. Many channels are being dropped, so expect new additions too. Moreover, Samir bro kindly put your inputs in various RDTV threads bro. I have seen you always asking others about various questions. We are not employee of RDTV, we are just sharing our views in this lovely family @ DDF. Kindly understand bro.

Bishnu15 bro, If you look back, you will see that I have also shared many information and queries here, but particular this matter, I have no idea. That is why I am asking. If any body have any information please share it here, which will be beneficial for every one. Moreover you say Ambani is not fool. I Don't know who is fool who is not. But its true Ambani selling their tower business to Canada based firm Brookfield and merging telecommunication business with Aircel. So its no wonder that DTH business would be sell too. Mr Ambani himself told in his annual general meeting in the month of June that selling of DTH business is possible, to cut short his debt of Rs.45,000 crores.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock