Discussion Confusion clearing thread regarding TRAI rate changes effective 1st February

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
TRAI needs to re-think about this new tariff. It's unfair to broadcasters'. Only FTA channels are benefiting from this new tariff. They will gain viewers which is unfair to paid broadcasters' who invest in good quality content. As an example most users won't be willing to pay for a paid channel like NDTV India when they get ABP News for free. Providing FTA channels along with NCF creates unnecessary competition for government's own DTH company DD Free Dish. TRAI needs to issue a new tariff where users pay NCF of Rs.100 + GST where the user get access to DD National, DD News, DD feed of their region, Local channels of MSOs and Special Services by DTH provider. LCOs and MSOs should asked to subsidize the cost of NCF if they carry teleshopping channels on their platforms. Rest of the channels, users need to subscribe according to their choice. To make things fair broadcasters' should also be asked to introduce language and genre specific bouquet. English language viewers doesn't need to buy bouquet that includes channels of other languages. Nor does Sports fans should need to buy a GEC channel which he or she doesn't watches. TRAI should also start a helpline to take complaints about MSO(s) and DTH(s) as customer service of service providers are non in existence or not very customer friendly.

Last edited:
Bit still videocon d2h not launched their new packages for subscribers. ..

TRAI needs to re-think about this new tariff. It's unfair to broadcasters'. Only FTA channels are benefiting from this new tariff. They will gain viewers which is unfair to paid broadcasters' who invest in good quality content. As an example most users won't be willing to pay for a paid channel like NDTV India when they get ABP News for free. It also ends the purpose of buying free dish. They needs to issue a new tariff where users pay NCF of Rs.100 + GST where the user get access to DD National, DD News, DD feed of their region, Local channels of MSOs, Services by DTH provider and Teleshopping channels. Rest of the channels users need to subscribe according to their choice. To make things fair broadcaster' should be also asked to introduce language and genre specific bouquet. English language viewers doesn't need to buy bouquet that includes channels of other languages. Nor does Sports fans should need to buy a GEC channel which he or she doesn't watches.
Other than the 25 government channels, the rest are up to the choice of the consumer, whether he chooses to select a FTA channel or a paid one is upto him. This is in fact beneficial to broadcasters; to cite my own example, I didn't use to subscribe to some English channels because I would be forced to buy the largest bouqet, but now I plan to.
As for NDTV vs ABP news, a paid channel will be forced to differentiate their offerings so people are willing to pay for it. Conversely, if the people at large fail to recognize and pay for a deserving channel, the people collectively lose when the channel shuts down. I, for one, would not trust the DTH operators to be the arbiter of that.
But the forced bundling of unwanted channels will stop, this I think is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock