Discussion Confusion clearing thread regarding TRAI rate changes effective 1st February

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think TRAI gave that liberty to DPOs. If the users don't exercise their options by Feb 1st, DPOs will have to black out pay channels and only collect 153 per month. At max, they can offer 100 FTA channels of their own choice. They simply cannot offer pay channels of their choice to anyone. Customer will then choose the pay channels he want. But yes, there is a problem, they might end up paying for additional NCF slab, as they may not have any idea of all these things. This IS a MESS!!
But DPO's are not going to do that bro. I read a tweet from Airtel_presence that if we don't give any choices till Jan 31st they will move us to a new pack(the custom packs shown on self-care) created by them which is closest to our current pack in terms of channels and price. But we will be given freehand to pick our channels if we don't like their pack. This just to follow TRAI order of migrating 100% subscribers to new tariff on Feb1

5. What if option is not exercised by me, till 31.1.2019? In case option is not exercised by the consumer, he may be put on the Basic Service Tier pack. The Distribution Platform Owner (Multi System Provider/DTH provider) may adopt appropriate methods to seek consumer options for the Pay Channels or only free to air channels may be continued and pay channels may get disrupted.
Exactly, so they will be put in basic service tier pack, which will have only FTA channels. They will have to pay 153 per month.
But DPO's are not going to do that bro. I read a tweet from Airtel_presence that if we don't give any choices till Jan 31st they will move us to a new pack(the custom packs shown on self-care) created by them which is closest to our current pack in terms of channels and price. But we will be given freehand to pick our channels if we don't like their pack. This just to follow TRAI order of migrating 100% subscribers to new tariff on Feb1
By Law @Maveric quoted, they can't do that. They would have to put the customer under basic service tier.

if i select this...

Total--190 channels...
HD-60
Pay SD-62
FTA SD-42
DD-26
NCF 130+120
What will i pay 772.31 include taxes.

###Star 120
Zee 85
Sony 90
TV18 32
Discovery 10
UTV 18
Times 20
TurnerWB 13.50
TravelxpEpic 11
TV Today 1.50
NDTV Ultra 3.50
NCF 130
Xtraa NCF 120

Total--654.50
Tax--117.81
Grand Total--772.31

Last edited:
If I am correct, tomorrow is the day for Tata Sky hearing in Delhi High Court. If there is clear judgement then all DTH operators will act with clear plan in next week or so.

If there is postponement of judgement then Tata Sky users will be in Limbo come 1st Feb

5.Consumer has complete freedom to choose their desired 100 Standard Definition (SD) channels within the network capacity fee of maximum Rs.130 I-. The desired channels could be in A-Ia-carte Free to Air channels or Pay channels or bouquet of pay channels or any combination thereof. The choice completely rests with the consumers.

8.In case any clarifications or details are required the following officers may be contacted:
(a) Shri Anil Kumar Bhardwaj, Advisor - II (B&CS), TRAI at 011- 23237922 or email at [email protected] ; or
(b) Shri Arvind Kumar, Advisor - IIIlI (B&CS),TRAI at 011-23220209 or email [email protected].

http://main.trai.gov.in/sites/default/files/PRNo0410012019.pdf

Last edited:
5.Consumer has complete freedom to choose their desired 100 Standard Definition (SD) channels within the network capacity fee of maximum Rs.130 I-. The desired channels could be in A-Ia-carte Free to Air channels or Pay channels or bouquet of pay channels or any combination thereof. The choice completely rests with the consumers.

8.In case any clarifications or details are required the following officers may be contacted:
(a) Shri Anil Kumar Bhardwaj, Advisor - II (B&CS), TRAI at 011- 23237922 or email at [email protected] ; or
(b) Shri Arvind Kumar, Advisor - IIIlI (B&CS),TRAI at 011-23220209 or email [email protected].

http://main.trai.gov.in/sites/default/files/PRNo0410012019.pdf
Free to Air channels are no more free for the consumers thanks to NCF of 153, if you choose all free to air channels they will cost Rs.1.5 each free to air channel, they are not free after all

Free to Air channels are no more free for the consumers thanks to NCF of 153, if you choose all free to air channels they will cost Rs.1.5 each free to air channel, they are not free after all
They were never free even in the old regime. In fact, DPOs used to charge high prices for few popular FTA channels in music genre. These new rules are good for FTA viewers, Pay channel viewers will suffer the most!

They were never free even in the old regime. In fact, DPOs used to charge high prices for few popular FTA channels in music genre. These new rules are good for FTA viewers, Pay channel viewers will suffer the most!
if someone would like to watch FTAs only then why he would pay 153 a month if he can have them free for life in DDfree dish

I don't think TRAI gave that liberty to DPOs. If the users don't exercise their options by Feb 1st, DPOs will have to black out pay channels and only collect 153 per month. At max, they can offer 100 FTA channels of their own choice. They simply cannot offer pay channels of their choice to anyone. Customer will then choose the pay channels he want. But yes, there is a problem, they might end up paying for additional NCF slab, as they may not have any idea of all these things. This IS a MESS!!
Couldnt agree more, @Siva bro. This is all a huge, huge mess. Yes, we need to go with the flow - but this is one of the worst 'implementation' of any such rules / guidelines ever.

11. What if annual subscription charges are paid by a subscriber in advance? In case a subscriber has availed any scheme with advance charges paid for future lock-in period like an annual plan the distributor shall continue to provide services for such committed period without any increase in price / charges and without altering the other terms of subscription. The distributors cannot make any changes that entails any disadvantage to the subscriber in such cases. However, if the subscriber wants to switch over to a new package after 1st February, 2019 then the proportional balance amount of existing package as on the date of switch over may be adjusted for the new package prices after 1st February, 2019.
But what about other who pay monthly or quarterly most.
Should we safely understand that ARP Customers who took an ARP Pack in Oct/Nov have the most advantage now in this regime? Or will DTH providers play their own game and force all such subscribers off their ARP and make them take the TRAI plans? In a reply to my email to ADTV Nodal, they mentioned that if I am on ARP, they will refund the unused amount to DTH Account Balance. Again. a huge mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock