Dolby Digital in Videocon D2H - Discussion

M.J.Sadiq

M Jahabar Sadiq
Contributor
Reaction score
Dear D2H Customers/Haters,

This thread is to clarify all of you that D2H is providing Dolby Digital 5.1 only. I contacted Dolby studio in email to get details regarding this. Please find the summary of the email.

Email from me:
I sent an email after seeing the list of DTH operators listed by Dolby in their website.

Ghar pe dolby hai kya

I asked why I am not seeing Videocon D2H in the list though I am getting Dolby Digital option in their HD channels.

Find the actual query from me in the images listed at the end of this thread.

Reply-1 from Dolby:
A person named Jayesh from Dolby replied and said, the set top boxes from Videocon D2H are not having decoders to decode Dolby Digital audio. But their set top boxes can receive Dolby Digital audio from channel feeds and pass it on to the attached devices (TV via HDMI out, Home Theater via HDMI or Coaxial or Optical out) as it is without any modification like increase of volume, decrease of volume or balancing the volume level. Since D2H boxes are having decoders for MPEG2 (stereo) audio alone, we are getting loudness in Stereo type volume only. He also said that it is not always a problem of decoders but can be a problem from the broadcasters too if they are not providing good level of audio (both MPEG2 and Dolby).

He confirmed that Videocon D2H box can only work with Dolby Digital but not with Dolby Digital Plus.

Actual reply can be found in the images at the end of this thread.

Reply-2 from me:
Now I replied for another doubt. I told him that I understood that their boxes can support Dolby Digital audio. But the doubt here is about their up-linking to know if they are really up-linking the actual Dolby Digital audio or processing the Stereo audio to convert into 5.1 using Dolby Pro Logic II.

Actual reply can be found in the images at the end of this thread.

Reply-3 from Dolby:
Jayesh again replied and confirmed that Videocon D2H is up-linking the HD channels in Dolby Digital only by passing the audio as received from the broadcasters. They are provding two audio options for Dolby Digital enabled channels. They are giving an additional Stereo option since their set top boxes cannot decode the Dolby Digital audio to send the audio through the AV audio out to give Stereo audio. And he said D2H is not using Dolby Pro Logic II to create fake (converted) 5.1 audio.

Conclusion:
So, this clearly proves that we, the D2H users, are getting actual Dolby Digital audio only. Their name is not listed since their set top boxes are not having decoders.
And we got to know why we are not getting audio through AV audio out when enabling Dolby Digital audio.
The reason is there is no decode to automatically convert Dolby Digital audio into Stereo.
To overcome this, they are decoding the Dolby Digital audio at their up-linking center and down-mix it into stereo and up-linking it again as an additional audio option.
One option will give true Dolby Digital 5.1/2.1 from broadcaster as it is; the other option is to get Stereo audio which is a converted audio from Dolby Digital audio.

Questions Unanswered:
Their brand is not listed in the Dolby site since their STB is not having a Dolby Decoder. But D2H is still providing Dolby Digital audio as confirmed by Dolby studio itself. D2H is anyway doing the decoding at the up-linking center itself and ensuring we are getting stereo audio at least when a customer is not having separate decoder in the form of TV or Home Theater. Then why can't the brand "Videocon D2H" in their website?

Images
Email from me:
Z39qmeU.png

Reply-1 from Dolby:
b01caug.png

Reply-2 from me:
JxCxg34.png

Reply-3 from Dolby:
6ir4eq5.png

Can we get dolby digital sound directly on TV without any external speakers or home theater system?

gubbimari said:
Can we get dolby digital sound directly on TV without any external speakers or home theater system?

Yes you can get it but your TV should be capable of Dolby Digital audio processing.

TV sets are having only 2 speakers. So, a TV that can process Dolby Digital audio will convert the received 5.1 or 2.1 Dolby Digital audio into Stereo (left and right) and then will give it through TV speakers.

To enjoy the real 5.1, you always need a home theater. Even for 2.1 where there will be a need of 3 speakers, you need a home theater having at least 3 speakers.

My tv happily decodes the tata sky dd as well as dd plus but never decoded d2h's dolby digital.. Also cc always kept telling only ht can decode their dd

Sadiq said:
Yes you can get it but your TV should be capable of Dolby Digital audio processing.

TV sets are having only 2 speakers. So, a TV that can process Dolby Digital audio will convert the received 5.1 or 2.1 Dolby Digital audio into Stereo (left and right) and then will give it through TV speakers.

To enjoy the real 5.1, you always need a home theater. Even for 2.1 where there will be a need of 3 speakers, you need a home theater having at least 3 speakers.

Hi just one query and maybe you can answer this.

I have Sony Bravia TV and Sony home theatre system. When I am using Dolby audio on my 4K set top box, I am getting audio output from only 5 of the speakers without the sound from the front speaker.

Any idea why this is so?

ayanc99 said:
Hi just one query and maybe you can answer this.

I have Sony Bravia TV and Sony home theatre system. When I am using Dolby audio on my 4K set top box, I am getting audio output from only 5 of the speakers without the sound from the front speaker.

Any idea why this is so?
Is your home theater is 5.1 or 7.1? If 5.1, then getting audio in 5 speakers are correct only.

But it seems your home theater is 7.1 since you said you are getting audio from 5 speakers but not from front speakers (totally 7 speakers). Then also getting audio from 5 speakers are correct since D2H is giving Dolby Digital (5.1) only (not Digital Plus which is 7.1). But you are getting audio from side speakers instead of front speakers. Check if you connected wires to the right connectors. If you are getting audio in front speakers from other 5.1 sources (not 7.1) then better raise a complaint to D2H...

I would like to know ,

You are telling that d2h is giving the Dolby digital sound , what they receive it from broadcaster with out any modification.

My doubt is many of the channels are now shifted to dolby digital plus sound.(You may refer the SUN TV movies ad during the time its been relayed). How come D2h is passing dolby digital sound when the channels provides only dolby digital plus sound.

You also said d2h boxes will not support dolby digital plus technology.

Balaji G said:
I would like to know ,

You are telling that d2h is giving the Dolby digital sound , what they receive it from broadcaster with out any modification.

My doubt is many of the channels are now shifted to dolby digital plus sound.(You may refer the SUN TV movies ad during the time its been relayed). How come D2h is passing dolby digital sound when the channels provides only dolby digital plus sound.

You also said d2h boxes will not support dolby digital plus technology.
Good question. But I "think" Dolby Digital Plus is being converted to Dolby Digital by removing side left and side right audio. But to confirm this, I have to contact Dolby again ;)

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock