• Welcome to DreamDTH.com - an online community for the television and tech enthusiasts!

    Please Register or Login yourself to ask a question, participate in a discussion.

Govt to look into Airtel's plan to charge for internet calls

mmadhankumar

Staff member
Dream SMOD
Joined
6 May 2012
Messages
8,779
Reaction score
13,361


Government will look into Airtel's plan to charge separately for internet call services (VoIP) offered by apps like Skype, Viber and Line that will cost up to Rs 10,000 per GB on 2G network and up to Rs 4,000 per GB on 3G network to a user.

"We will look into it. Government will come back with structured response," Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said on the sidelines of 'Good Governance Day' event organised by the Department of Electronics and Information Technology.

He was responding to media questions on Airtel's plan to charge for VoIP calls at standard rate of 4 paise per 10 KB on 3G network and 10 paise per 10 KB on 2G network.

Airtel customers will now have to pay extra for making calls on Skype, Viber or other apps.

"All internet/data packs or plans (through which customer can avail discounted rate) shall only be valid for internet browsing and will exclude VoIP (both incoming/ outgoing). VoIP over data connectivity would be charged at standard data rates of 4p/10 KB (3G service) and 10p/10 KB (2G service)," Airtel said on its website.

Based on standard rates, usage of each GB of data for VoIP on 3G network will cost about Rs 4,000 and while the same on 2G netwrok will cost about Rs 10,000.


The company has said that it will offer VoIP (Voice over internet protocol) connectivity through an independent pack that will be launched shortly.

"Our customers can continue enjoying voice calls over data connectivity by opting for this VoIP pack, or simply use VoIP services on pay-as-you-go basis," Airtel said in a statement.

This is the first time in the country that any mobile operator is charging separately for VoIP service.

Mobile operators have long been demanding the over the top (OTT) players like WhatsApp, Line, Skype among others should be brought under regulation.


Govt to look into Airtel's plan to charge for internet calls - Business Today
 

sagar.patnaik

Dream Shine
Joined
20 Nov 2014
Messages
949
Reaction score
198
Govt will favor telcos, coz they pay huge amount in taxes where as whatsapp, skype etc dont
 

Sarkar

Dream Legend
Joined
1 Jun 2013
Messages
20,955
Reaction score
17,789
sagar.patnaik said:
Govt will favor telcos, coz they pay huge amount in taxes where as whatsapp, skype etc dont
If Govt is so kind towards telcos then why is Govt fighting with Telcos over 3G intra-circle roaming agreement ?
 

sagar.patnaik

Dream Shine
Joined
20 Nov 2014
Messages
949
Reaction score
198
Sarkar said:
If Govt is so kind towards telcos then why is Govt fighting with Telcos over 3G intra-circle roaming agreement ?
Its over now they can provide 3G intra circle roaming.
 

Sarkar

Dream Legend
Joined
1 Jun 2013
Messages
20,955
Reaction score
17,789
sagar.patnaik said:
Its over now they can provide 3G intra circle roaming.
Govt wants stay order on TDSAT judgement which allow 3G roaming. So they file case in Supreme court. But It's Supreme court who refuse to give stay order on 3G intra circle roaming. That's why telcos still offering roaming. On top of that Govt impose a penalty on telcos of Rs 1,200 crore for entering into pacts with each other to offer 3G services in regions where they did not bag spectrum in the 2010 auction. So Govt isn't favouring telcos though they are paying taxes here.

SC allows 3G intra-roaming services - The Times of India
 

sagar.patnaik

Dream Shine
Joined
20 Nov 2014
Messages
949
Reaction score
198
Sarkar said:
Govt wants stay order on TDSAT judgement which allow 3G roaming. So they file case in Supreme court. But It's Supreme court who refuse to give stay order on 3G intra circle roaming. That's why telcos still offering roaming. On top of that Govt impose a penalty on telcos of Rs 1,200 crore for entering into pacts with each other to offer 3G services in regions where they did not bag spectrum in the 2010 auction. So Govt isn't favouring telcos though they are paying taxes here.

SC allows 3G intra-roaming services - The Times of India
Govt went into litigation coz they could hve got more revenues which they didnt. Govt only needs money as license fees and taxes.
 
Top Bottom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock