Happy Durga Puja to all DDF Friends

Off topic :
I have vip pass if need then pm me . if this post not related to this thread then delete this post

A post of my friend, but it's my mind.
For all non-Bengalis who confuse Durga Puja (of Bengal) with Navaratri (outside Bengal), there's a simple big difference in the way it's celebrated. While Navaratri could be religious (as people claim it to be), Durga Puja is a cultural festival. There's a remarkable difference between religion and culture.

Why is Durga Puja not religious, but cultural? Here's my take!

1. For most Bengalis, we have nothing to do with devotion, and everything to do with celebration. Religion (as it has become) is an organized way to deal with devotees, and we are far far away from any sort of blind beliefs.

2. God/Goddess is an image that's alienated from our own lives and seen as an authority. To us, Durga is just a part of our family. She could be termed as the Goddess, but never seen with a God-like image. There's way more love than devotion. It's a very human connection.

3. While people outside Bengal may fast as much as they like, Bengalis will continue to feast on Mutton Biriyanis and all sorts of delicious non-veg food (even at Puja premises where organizers often arrange for meals). Had there been any religious angle, things might not have been so simple.

4. Durga Puja as a festival is deeply connected to arts, crafts, music, theater, films ... everything! It's an all-round celebration. Only a very tiny percentage of people would bother to offer prayers. For the rest of us, Durga and the spirit of Durga puja is all in our heart. Even if we offer 'Anjali' (a prayer), our eyeballs hover all over the surrounding beauties in laal-paar-sada-sarees (a beautiful dress that ladies prefer to wear).

5. Durga puja is all-inclusive. Many Muslims in Bengal celebrate it too. Even there are religious Muslims who are the Presidents and Secretaries of Puja committees. No 'religious' festival could ever break these barriers!

6. There are hundreds of government and private awards given for 'Best Puja'. Not a single parameter in judgement relates to the devotion aspect of it. The Best Puja judgement takes into consideration the artistic finesse of the idol-making, the decorations around it, the lights, the sound, the safety measures, the theme, the concept, the social relevance of the theme, etc. It never considers how devotedly people offer prayers. So, devotion doesn't even come in our way of celebrating Durga Puja.

For those who have never witnessed Durga puja in Kolkata but have a lot to comment on it, please do make a visit. Your idea of a festival will change. Our country had no religion, but we thrived on our culture. It's time we pack religions into the sacks and throw them back to the western world (from where it has come) and fall back on our all-inclusive cultural ways of celebrating life once again. Cheers!

IMG-20181015-171226.jpg

IMG-20181015-171957.jpg

IMG-20181015-204721.jpg

IMG-20181015-205515.jpg

IMG-20181015-210813.jpg

IMG-20181015-224452.jpg

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock