Issue in dolby digital sound over HDMI

• Thread starter anuj_t
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 104
  • Views: Views 23,590

anuj_t

Reaction score
I bought and installed ADTV HD yesterday. Before this, I was using TS HD for year and a half. I have Sony IV300 home theater.

Before I could rejoice with improved PQ and dolby surround quality on airtel, I encountered a strange issue. Whenever I switch from channel with non dolby audio to that with dolby audio, the audio just disappears. This happens randomly and audio comes back only after power resetting everything (TV, STB, HT).

This doesn't happen when I select stereo audio in STB but ofcourse, by doing this, I loose dolby audio altogether. I have not changed setup since Tata Sky HD (STB --> TV <--> HT). TV and HT are connected through HDMI ARC; set-top box and TV are connected by HDMI.

I tried alternative setup (STB --> HT <--> TV) but this too didn't work. In Tata Sky, I never faced this issue but when comes to audio, airtel STB is behaving completely different than TS in many ways. My HT is 5.1 channel. TS did allow me to set audio mode to dolby digital plus 7.1. In airtel, if I do same, HT throws an error of unsupported audio input. In airtel, if I set audio to dolby digital 5.1, HT shows message that dolby audio detected each time I switch to dolby audio supported channel from normal one (audio fails randomly at this point only). In TS, HT only showed this message only on a fresh start.

I had hard time explaining this issue to call center executive. They were asking me to try optical cable (I will try this option as a last resort. I doubt it will solve the problem as all DTH operators now a days support dolby through HDMI). In the end, they have agreed to send technician home. Lets see what happens.

PS: STB is HD HVEC, made by Technicolor (with new UI). TS STB was Huawei made.
I am suspecting that airtel is passing raw audio from broadcasters as it is and issue is arising somewhere when there is switch from normal to dolby audio on the go while switching channel. In TS, it looks like audio is processed as per setting in STB. If it is selected as dolby 5.1 in STB then STB outputs same (although counterfeit for non dolby channels) and hence there is no switching between audio formats on the go and hence I didn't get this issue earlier. Just my assumption.

Last edited:
What's the sound field you are using on IV 300?

Its clear audio +. If you are asking about sound field option in HT settings, then it is set to auto.

Just to cross check do you change prefered HDMI audio to Dolby + in audio settings?

All TV sets do not support HDMI ARC. Check this. Try connecting STB to HT via Optical cable and STB to TV through HDMI cable. In STB audio settings select spdif as Dolby digital. This will mute the TV speakers. I was doing like this while I was using Airtel HD DVR and never faced audio issues.

May be some STB are not compatible with HTIV300. I also use same HT.

I face this issue on my TS Technicolor HD STB, I am.using the connection via Optical cable. The same audio.loss issue is not there in TS HEVC HD STB.

All TV sets do not support HDMI ARC. Check this. Try connecting STB to HT via Optical cable and STB to TV through HDMI cable. In STB audio settings select spdif as Dolby digital. This will mute the TV speakers. I was doing like this while I was using Airtel HD DVR and never faced audio issues.
My TV is compatible with HDMI ARC and has dedicated port for same. I am using it since a long time now and TS did work flawlessly on it.

May be some STB are not compatible with HTIV300. I also use same HT.

I face this issue on my TS Technicolor HD STB, I am.using the connection via Optical cable. The same audio.loss issue is not there in TS HEVC HD STB.
Do you mean that this issue persists even with optical cable?

It doesn't make sense to select Dolby Digital Plus when the HT only has 5 channels. On airtel, Dolby Digital Plus means it's coming from broadcaster. They don't provide Dolby Digital Plus when it's not available from broadcaster. And the audio is original, no manipulations in the middle.

Try the below.

1. Connect STB HDMI out to HDMI IN1 of HT.
2. Connect HT HDMI out to normal HDMI in of TV (Non ABC)
3. Change the audio over HDMI to Dolby Digital on the STB settings.

Clear Audio Plus is a good option, I think it need not be changed. However, I don't remember the other options available on IV300. Please give the list.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock