Seeking Help Planning to switch from Airtel to SUN Direct, Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now the disadvantages:
1. The EPG quality is terrible, most of the time you won't see any info regarding the program running

Based on using Sun Direct (both SD & HD boxes) for years and also having experience in watching Airtel DTH at my sister's for years, I am afraid I'd have to strongly disagree with this understanding of yours on Sun Direct's EPG, based on what I have inferred from the EPGs of both these DTHs.

1) Yes, Sun Direct's EPG might be blank at times for some channels. This is because it loads fresh EPGs for all channels, every time the STB is switched off and switched on again. So naturally, it takes a few minutes for the fresh EPGs to load for each channel. Sometimes, if the EPGs are blank after we switch to a channel, it almost always loads them if we switch one channel forward or one channel backward, and then come back to the channel we were watching. The only negative aspect for me here, might be that sometimes (which, from my observation is very rare) we might have to wait for around 5 to 10 minutes for the fresh EPGs to load.

When I say fresh EPG's, we can visibly see it loading and refreshing every now and then in Sun Direct. I believe this is the code that often appears on the screen -- in a small, rectangular, colored box that displays some random text like [FXTVHVFY]. Codes likes these appear every now and then and dissappear automatically after a few seconds. I believe it is the EPG updating. Correct me if I am incorrect in interpreting this.

This is the main reason that Sun Direct almost always display EPGs upto only for a maximum of two days in advance, for any given channel. Because they like to update the EPGs with the latest information procured from the channels and keep it current & as accurate as possible.

2) On the other hand, Airtel seemingly displays EPGs without any fuss for all the channels at all points in time. And voila, no matter how soon we switch to a any channel after we switch on the STB, there the EPG is. However, there is a downside to Airtel DTH's EPG, which is a huge letdown for me. Which brings us to my third, and final point. Please read along.

3) The main difference between Sun Direct's and Airtel DTH's EPGs, from what I have observed all these years, is that, Sun Direct's EPGs display not just the Name and Time of the current program, but also a little sentence or two about what is happening in that program right now. For example, if it is a TV series or show, it exactly displays what is happening in that particular episode airing on any given day/time. If it is a movie, it correctly displays the story of the movie. On the other hand, even though Airtel DTH correctly displays the Name and Time of all shows, the information about what is happening in a particular episode of a tv series/show or what is happening in a movie, is not as accurate as Sun Direct's EPG. That information is very generic in Airtel's EPG. On that note, in comparison with TV series/shows, I might say that the EPG description of English movies is bit better.

P.S:
1) My above observation is based mainly on English Entertainment channels (STAR WORLD & ZEE CAFE), English Movie channels, Sports Channels and English GEC channels.
This stands true, to a certain extent I believe, to Tamil channels as well. Meaning, obviously I am not aware on how far this stands true as far as all the other channels go.

2) However, once Sun Direct adds a new channel, it does take several days (some times even months) for the EPGs to start appearing for that channel for the first time. But once they start to appear, they are steady and are almost always accurate with the current program description.

Now I am more than aware that you used Sun Direct only for a relatively really short period of time (If I am not incorrect, for under a month?) as you switched back to Airtel (or did you buy Tata Sky? I am unable to recall that part correctly) as soon as you were convinced that Sun Direct is not about to correct the 5.1 low volume issue in the near future.

So, from what I can deduce, I would say unfortunately you did not have enough time or data to understand the complete picture of what exactly is happening with Sun Direct's EPG on a day-to-day basis. Meaning, I don't blame you for the conclusion you have arrived at.

Let me share a few current examples of Sun Direct's EPGs from today & tomorrow's programs below. Please cross reference them with Airtel DTH's (or Tata Sky's) EPG to compare the difference.

And please let us all know your findings.

Thank you for reading :)

Examples: (All times are in 24-hour format)

19-04-2018
STAR WORLD 07.00-08.00 The Blacklist
EPG Description of this episode:
Red and the Task Force arrive in Paris on the trails of a prominent drug supplier

STAR WORLD 11.00-12.00 Masterchef Australia
Mystery Box - Contestants have to create a delicious dish from ingredients found in the mystery box

STAR WORLD 12.00-13.00 American Crime Story
The police describe Lee Miglin's murder as a random killing

ZEE CAFE 10.00-11.00 Supergirl
When Lena is found poisoned, Kara springs into action to find the culprit

ZEE CAFE 22.00-23.00 Scandal
Annalise Keating needs Olivia's help in expediting a judicial reform class action

20-04-2018
STAR WORLD 3.00-4.00 Prison Break
When Michael and Whistler try to escape, Lechero sees them and tries to stop them

STAR WORLD 4.00-5.00 Prison Break
Susan tries to get Whistler out of Sona and the plan makes everybody else expendable

STAR WORLD 7.00-8.00 Homeland
Carrie encounters some domestic issues; Saul and Wellington work on Paley

ZEE CAFE 10.00-11.00 Supergirl
After capturing Julia Freeman, Supergirl and Alex try to get through to her

7_C119_B06_9_A11_49_C9_9_AF6_2_AEC6_A6_CF88_D.jpg

F28_FF52_C_A18_C_42_B7_9_B05_AB01_FE93187_E.jpg

047_FB28_C_DCCD_4_C65_A386_6695_D4_BB8244.jpg

B14828_C2_938_D_4_DA8_B62_B_72_DD5_E80_D17_A.jpg

F21_A368_D_0_A27_41_CB_852_B_60_FDDBAD58_D7.jpg

7_EFF54_C7_66_AB_4740_BFD6_8389_E3891_E00.jpg

10_EBCF20_E120_4609_B2_FE_BDA8582984_C9.jpg

8_C011002_03_AD_434_A_AA51_2_A7848_DC373_D.jpg

TS EPG shows the Episode No, Season No, Country and year of the show. hence becomes very easy to find the repeat shows if there are many shows on same day, like weekends.

And for movies it shows country of origin, year of release, cast/crew, and short description along with Censor rating like U, U/A, PG, A

Does Sun Direct show this @Sivabhaskar ???

@Sivabhaskar I have used Sun Direct for 1.5 months. Currently I'm using Tata Sky, please refer post #32 for the Tata Sky EPG information for the programs mentioned by you at the same timings. In fact, Tata Sky even mentions the episode numbers and says if it's a repeat telecast.

While I appreciate Sun Direct trying to present the latest EPG information to the users all the time, the main problem here is, it is blank 70% of the time for random channels. My use case is this. I would be watching a particular channel, for instance Star Movies HD and just click the right arrow button to see what movie is running on HBO HD or Pix HD. I don't even get to a point of reading the description of the movie here. Sun Direct fails in the first step. It shows blank most of the times for this use case. And this NOT only happens just after switching the set-top box on, it happens ALL the time even after watching TV for 3-4 hours continuously. I just could not cope up with this because I have never faced such scenario in Airtel. I always used to get the program name that is running on another channel while watching one. And even now on Tata Sky, this never happens. EPG always shows the program name and it's perfectly fine.

To talk more about Airtel, frankly speaking I mostly watched English Movies, Sports and Telugu Regional HD channels. And for the 8 years I have used Airtel, I have not faced any issue with EPG being blank, it always displayed the correct movie name in English movie channels. Telugu Regional HD channels shows wrong EPG few times, but it quickly gets corrected. I didn't watch English entertainment channels, so can't comment on them. May be our current Airtel users like @Gobinaath bro or @Deepu Darling bro can help provide the info.

Last edited:
One more thing about TS EPG is changes as per the show, in case of Live Shows.

Example: preset EPG will show the show timing as 9PM to 10.30PM, but since its a live show, it can extend its show timing by another 30 mins, and TS EPG also automatically changes its EPG from 9PM-11PM and updates all future EPG timings.

Sun Music HD is 384 kbps and Sun HD is 512 kbps. Rest of the HD channels are 192 kbps. Sun Music HD is marginally better compared to other HD channels.
Is any monopoly on Sundirect, regarding Only Sun TV HD, Sun Music HD having good audio quality.

@Sivabhaskar I have used Sun Direct for 1.5 months. Currently I'm using Tata Sky, please refer post #32 for the Tata Sky EPG information for the programs mentioned by you at the same timings. In fact, Tata Sky even mentions the episode numbers and says if it's a repeat telecast.

While I appreciate Sun Direct trying to present the latest EPG information to the users all the time, the main problem here is, it is blank 70% of the time for random channels. My use case is this. I would be watching a particular channel, for instance Star Movies HD and just click the right arrow button to see what movie is running on HBO HD or Pix HD. I don't even get to a point of reading the description of the movie here. Sun Direct fails in the first step. It shows blank most of the times for this use case. And this NOT only happens just after switching the set-top box on, it happens ALL the time even after watching TV for 3-4 hours continuously. I just could not cope up with this because I have never faced such scenario in Airtel. I always used to get the program name that is running on another channel while watching one. And even now on Tata Sky, this never happens. EPG always shows the program name and it's perfectly fine.

To talk more about Airtel, frankly speaking I mostly watched English Movies, Sports and Telugu Regional HD channels. And for the 8 years I have used Airtel, I have not faced any issue with EPG being blank, it always displayed the correct movie name in English movie channels. Telugu Regional HD channels shows wrong EPG few times, but it quickly gets corrected. I didn't watch English entertainment channels, so can't comment on them. May be our current Airtel users like @Gobinaath bro or @Deepu Darling bro can help provide the info.

Exactly anna never faced any such issues in adtv EPG

imo Adtv epg 100% perfect as per my experience till now except last minute change of pgms from broadcaster side :)

Last edited:
Tested STAR Maa HD recorded video from SUN DTH provided by @chandu1192 . Audio bit rate 192 kbps. Surrounding sounds are missing like what others commented. Still I m going for it as my family only watches DTH for tv serials, which don't have appreciable surrounding sounds. For movies, I never relied on DTH, but most of the time I will watch through laptop on TV or Amazon prime pr Netflix. So, Today Im calling SUN DIRECT as ADTV annual subscription expires in 5 days. Thanks guys for your valuable inputs. Hoping SUN DIRECT watching here and looking forward for improvement in audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock