Seeking Help Planning to switch from Airtel to SUN Direct, Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie here. But the wealth of info here is so amazing - wish I had logged in here before.

Been with Videocon DTH for over 3years now, usually have been recharging 12m plans. Currently on a plan called New South Gold (Rs. 254) + HD Add-on (Rs. 148) + D2H Kids (Rs. 40 - have a young kid who watches their rhymes channel) = Rs. 442. Actually 522 (with GST). Even after paying so much I don't get any sports channels (HD or SD). I feel I am ripped off very well :(

Goodnews is that it is coming up for renewal in another month. I find Sun Direct HD package of Rs. 4190 (12months) - Kannada Cinema+Sports (HD) very tempting as it actually gives more than what I get for the amount I am paying along with a new STB, etc. At home, we watch majorly Kannada, Tamil and lifestyle channels like TLC / FoxLife / NatGeo / Discovery in HD.

Couple of questions:
1. Is there any additional charges like installation, etc apart from the 4190 mentioned on the website. (understand most operators only give 10mtrs of cable but anything else).
2. Did go through the forums on audio issue - but it seems liveable. anything else need to be aware off? Since I didn't see anyone moving from Videocon to Sun, most was from Airtel.
3. What do you folks do with the old STB & Antenna (like in my case the Videocon HD one) - do you sell it, if so - any hassles? (could be off-topic, sorry).

1. Is there any additional charges like installation, etc apart from the 4190 mentioned on the website. (understand most operators only give 10mtrs of cable but anything else).
Nothing else. In fact, you might get it for 4000 if you talk to the local dealer. I got it for 4000.
2. Did go through the forums on audio issue - but it seems liveable. anything else need to be aware off? Since I didn't see anyone moving from Videocon to Sun, most was from Airtel.
I'm not sure how is the d2h UI. The audio issue is the major one on SD for me, apart from that everything else was manageable.
3. What do you folks do with the old STB & Antenna (like in my case the Videocon HD one) - do you sell it, if so - any hassles? (could be off-topic, sorry).
Only STB can be sold in my view and don't expect hefty price tag you might get around 500. And, No one will be interested in LNB since any LNB can be used for any DTH.

Newbie here. But the wealth of info here is so amazing - wish I had logged in here before.

Been with Videocon DTH for over 3years now, usually have been recharging 12m plans. Currently on a plan called New South Gold (Rs. 254) + HD Add-on (Rs. 148) + D2H Kids (Rs. 40 - have a young kid who watches their rhymes channel) = Rs. 442. Actually 522 (with GST). Even after paying so much I don't get any sports channels (HD or SD). I feel I am ripped off very well :(

Goodnews is that it is coming up for renewal in another month. I find Sun Direct HD package of Rs. 4190 (12months) - Kannada Cinema+Sports (HD) very tempting as it actually gives more than what I get for the amount I am paying along with a new STB, etc. At home, we watch majorly Kannada, Tamil and lifestyle channels like TLC / FoxLife / NatGeo / Discovery in HD.

Couple of questions:
You need to pay 4190 only, not a penny extra unless you are asking for more than 10 m cable. Today I called SUN DIRECT toll free number for booking new connection at 4 pm (Bangalore) and got connection by 6 pm itself. I paid money to the installation guy through PAYTM. Initially they called and told me that I need to wait for 1 week for SD HD connection, then I told them that I will cancel request if not done within 24 hrs. So don't pay in advance, otherwise you need to run behind the local guy who got assigned with your installation request.

Today I got the SD HD connection. Tweaking the setting to explore different things. HD picture quality is good, better than ADTV. Experimenting with the audio to get best out of it. Can any one can guide me for SD settings?

Today I got the SD HD connection. Tweaking the setting to explore different things. HD picture quality is good, better than ADTV. Experimenting with the audio to get best out of it. Can any one can guide me for SD settings?
Congrats. You can open a new thread in Sun Direct HD section and post pictures of your setup. You can ask questions in that thread.

I have used Sun Direct for 1.5 months. Currently I'm using Tata Sky, please refer post #32 for the Tata Sky EPG information for the programs mentioned by you at the same timings. In fact, Tata Sky even mentions the episode numbers and says if it's a repeat telecast.

It is good to know that Tata Sky's EPGs one ups Sun Direct's EPGs. That was why I was skeptical and did not get into the details of their EPGs. It is only fair that they do this, as they seem to be the DTH who charge the highest when it comes to HD boxes with recording facility (albeit with 3 tuners, which completely eliminates Sun Direct's recording restriction, which restricts channel switching to only between channels in the same transponders while a recording is already going on).

While I appreciate Sun Direct trying to present the latest EPG information to the users all the time, the main problem here is, it is blank 70% of the time for random channels. My use case is this. I would be watching a particular channel, for instance Star Movies HD and just click the right arrow button to see what movie is running on HBO HD or Pix HD. I don't even get to a point of reading the description of the movie here. Sun Direct fails in the first step. It shows blank most of the times for this use case. And this NOT only happens just after switching the set-top box on, it happens ALL the time even after watching TV for 3-4 hours continuously.

Well, based on my experience with the latest model STBs (Y Series for HD and S32100 for SD), this has not been the case at all. And blank for 70% of the time seems to be highly inaccurate to me. Again, please refer to my earlier post wherein I had explained how the EPG for a channel may be seemingly blank, but it loads itself after a minute or two after we switch to that channel for the first time (after we had switched on the STB). If it does not load even after switching to a channel, switching one channel forward/backward also helps in such instances, which helps to quickly load the EPG for the channel (or set of channels) in question. This helps even if we had the STB on for 3 to 4 hours like you mentioned, but were watching different channels than the channel(s) in question.

In the 1.5 months you used Sun Direct, I do remember that you switched from the newest STB model you had when you initially bought Sun Direct and went back to use the older N Series box in order for it to display the subtitles for the HBO HD channel. Based on how you are mentioning that you pressed the right/left arrows in order to view the EPGs of channels you were currently not watching, I suspect bulk of these EPG issues you were facing could have occurred because of the older N Series box. Because, with the newer model HD STBs, if I am recollecting it correctly (anyone using Y/U Series boxes, correct me if I am incorrect here), I believe we cannot use the right/left arrows to view other channel EPGs. It only increases/decreases the volume like it does in the latest SD boxes.

Do you think this could have been the root cause of the heavy EPG issues you were facing? For what it's worth, like I had mentioned in my previous post, in addition to the English Entertainment channels, I myself am a more than a fairly regular user of the English Movie channels and Sports channels. And I have faced EPG issues for, say, only 5% to 10% of the times while watching these channels. And even that has been very very rare. So, while I certainly cannot vouch for my own regional (Tamil) channels, I most certainly can vouch for the availability of EPGs and their accuracy when it comes to English Entertainment, English Movies, Sports and English GEC channels (in that order) of Sun Direct.

Other, longtime Sun Direct users (both HD & SD) in this forum, could a few of you chime in and clarify me and @Siva on what could be the reason behind these two completely different viewpoints when it comes to the availability of EPGs in Sun Direct? Because, all I can deduce is that there was very little data & time to assess, in addition to switching back to an older model STB during the said period of 1.5 months of Sun Direct usage.

I just could not cope up with this because I have never faced such scenario in Airtel. I always used to get the program name that is running on another channel while watching one. And even now on Tata Sky, this never happens. EPG always shows the program name and it's perfectly fine.

To talk more about Airtel, frankly speaking I mostly watched English Movies, Sports and Telugu Regional HD channels. And for the 8 years I have used Airtel, I have not faced any issue with EPG being blank, it always displayed the correct movie name in English movie channels.

Again, like I had explained in detail in my earlier post, even though Airtel DTH seemingly displays the EPGs alright, it completely fails to me -- because of the very basic, generic descriptions of the programs when it comes to their detailed description area. While I agree that Airtel DTH always displays a EPG for all channels, their inner program descriptions themselves are not accurate 80% of the time. So, that is a huge downer for me.

On the other hand though, Tata Sky seems to be leading in this department. I mean, for example, like I can see in your screen shots, displaying Season and Episode numbers with indication of repeat telecasts is a huge huge plus if you are a regular viewer of English Entertainment channels. So, good for you that you now own a Tata Sky connection!

Thank you for reading :)

Last edited:
Well, based on my experience with the latest model STBs (Y Series for HD and S32100 for SD), this has not been the case at all. And blank for 70% of the time seems to be highly inaccurate to me. Again, please refer to my earlier post wherein I had explained how the EPG for a channel may be seemingly blank, but it loads itself after a minute or two after we switch to that channel for the first time (after we had switched on the STB). If it does not load even after switching to a channel, switching one channel forward/backward also helps in such instances, which helps to quickly load the EPG for the channel (or set of channels) in question. This helps even if we had the STB on for 3 to 4 hours like you mentioned, but were watching different channels than the channel(s) in question.

In the 1.5 months you used Sun Direct, I do remember that you switched from the newest STB model you had when you initially bought Sun Direct and went back to use the older N Series box in order for it to display the subtitles for the HBO HD channel. Based on how you are mentioning that you pressed the right/left arrows in order to view the EPGs of channels you were currently not watching, I suspect bulk of these EPG issues you were facing could have occurred because of the older N Series box. Because, with the newer model HD STBs, if I am recollecting it correctly (anyone using Y/U Series boxes, correct me if I am incorrect here), I believe we cannot use the right/left arrows to view other channel EPGs. It only increases/decreases the volume like it does in the latest SD boxes.

Do you think this could have been the root cause of the heavy EPG issues you were facing? For what it's worth, like I had mentioned in my previous post, in addition to the English Entertainment channels, I myself am a more than a fairly regular user of the English Movie channels and Sports channels. And I have faced EPG issues for, say, only 5% to 10% of the times while watching these channels. And even that has been very very rare. So, while I certainly cannot vouch for my own regional (Tamil) channels, I most certainly can vouch for the availability of EPGs and their accuracy when it comes to English Entertainment, English Movies, Sports and English GEC channels (in that order) of Sun Direct.

Other, longtime Sun Direct users (both HD & SD) in this forum, could a few of you chime in and clarify me and @Siva on what could be the reason behind these two completely different viewpoints when it comes to the availability of EPGs in Sun Direct? Because, all I can deduce is that there was very little data & time to assess, in addition to switching back to an older model STB during the said period of 1.5 months of Sun Direct usage.

Nope, I'm talking about the latest Y series box. I used N series box only for 2 days and switched back to Y series after realizing that picture quality is bad on it. Rest of the time it was latest Y series box. BTW, I meant Down arrow/Up arrow button. It's a little different on Sun Direct than other DTH. I strongly disagree with you as well that you say it works in this use case. Nope, unfortunately, it doesn't! Your solution of switching to that particular channel and if it doesn't work then switch one channel back/forward and switch back isn't applicable for my use case. I don't want to switch to the destination channel at all just to check epg. It is cumbersome process. It was another frustrating part of using Sun Direct DTH for me and that's why I clearly remember it doesn't work most of the time. I would like you or the other active SD users to test this particular use case. As I said, I don't even get to the part of the description of the program/movie.

Again, like I had explained in detail in my earlier post, even though Airtel DTH seemingly displays the EPGs alright, it completely fails to me -- because of the very basic, generic descriptions of the programs when it comes to their detailed description area. While I agree that Airtel DTH always displays a EPG for all channels, their inner program descriptions themselves are not accurate 80% of the time. So, that is a huge downer for me.
I explained the use case, and Airtel never fails in that use case (Clicking right/left arrow while watching one channel). It correctly displays the program name. And I can't talk about the english entertainment channels program description on Airtel, as I never used to watch them. However, for English Movies channels, the EPG description was always accurate for the 8 years I have used Airtel. I was never disappointed with EPG on Airtel!! It would be great if @Gobinaath bro or @Deepu Darling bro can post the screenshots of the EPG on the channels that we tested on TS and SD and we can cross check the descriptions if they are accurate or not.

Last edited:
@Siva bro, check now.

IMG_20180421_085601.jpg

IMG_20180421_085534.jpg

IMG_20180421_085509.jpg

IMG_20180421_085439.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock