Seeking Help Poor picture quality of SD channels on Tata Sky HD STB

On 9th Feb, 2019 I migrated from DishTV to Tata Sky. Purchased the box from amazon.in with Rs.1600 only without any packages activated with TataSky provied free channels only. It is a HD technicolor box, TataSky services was very prompt in installation and apps and their website is also very good. But in comparison with my DishTV NXT HD box to TataSky Technicolor Box the picture quality is really poor in TataSKY. SD channels are like local cable and HD channels are also not up to the mark except few HD channles. Acute pixelation is visible in SD channels. HD channels are also not rich and sharp. Whereas DishTV SD and HD channels are much more better. I am using Sony Bravia full HD LED TV and really stunning picture quality. I chatted with the customer care of TataSky regarding poor and blurred picture quality (every effort was made for adjusting/improving the picture quality in TV itself, but failed), they appreciated my case and immediately sent an engineer. After necessary examination he found not fault in installation and reported that this is the normal picture quality of TataSky no such picture quality improvement cannot be made. I also showed him the picture quality of DishTV NXT box side by side and admitted it is best.
Really the TataSky customer care is best and STB is good in more channels, OS is very good and user friendly. Whereas DishTV customercare sucks, slow and primitive website as well as inferior mobile app. But due to bad picture quality of TataSky I will not recharge again it. So many good reviews attracted me to TataSky, but my hard earned money engaged in TataSky wasted and really frustrated. I decided to continue to DishTV HD box till another good player comes for Home entertainment.

On 9th Feb, 2019 I migrated from DishTV to Tata Sky. Purchased the box from amazon.in with Rs.1600 only without any packages activated with TataSky provied free channels only. It is a HD technicolor box, TataSky services was very prompt in installation and apps and their website is also very good. But in comparison with my DishTV NXT HD box to TataSky Technicolor Box the picture quality is really poor in TataSKY. SD channels are like local cable and HD channels are also not up to the mark except few HD channles. Acute pixelation is visible in SD channels. HD channels are also not rich and sharp. Whereas DishTV SD and HD channels are much more better. I am using Sony Bravia full HD LED TV and really stunning picture quality. I chatted with the customer care of TataSky regarding poor and blurred picture quality (every effort was made for adjusting/improving the picture quality in TV itself, but failed), they appreciated my case and immediately sent an engineer. After necessary examination he found not fault in installation and reported that this is the normal picture quality of TataSky no such picture quality improvement cannot be made. I also showed him the picture quality of DishTV NXT box side by side and admitted it is best.
Really the TataSky customer care is best and STB is good in more channels, OS is very good and user friendly. Whereas DishTV customercare sucks, slow and primitive website as well as inferior mobile app. But due to bad picture quality of TataSky I will not recharge again it. So many good reviews attracted me to TataSky, but my hard earned money engaged in TataSky wasted and really frustrated. I decided to continue to DishTV HD box till another good player comes for Home entertainment.
On Sony LED TVs, Tata Sky has issues with HD channels PQ. SD channels were good when I used it compared to Airtel, but HD was not up to the mark. We discussed this issue in a long thread below. Unfortunately, there is no solution for this as of now. It would probably be fixed when they move to HEVC.

Discussion - Tata Sky Picture Quality Issues On Few HD Channels

You are correct bro Dish Next box is Excellent Picture quality in both HD and SD,I have also noted,Dish next box give very bright and clearer Picture as compared to Tata Sky specially after latest software update of Dish Next box

Last edited:
Few SD chennals of tata sky aspect ratio also poor.. I need every chennals 16:9 ratio .. tata sky highly compress now a days

Goto TV picture settings and turn on Reality creation & Smooth gradation.
Moreover recommended distance for viewing High Definition TV is 3 times of the TV vertical screen size and recommended distance for viewing Standard Definition TV is 6 times of the TV vertical screen size.

Goto TV picture settings and turn on Reality creation & Smooth gradation.
Moreover recommended distance for viewing High Definition TV is 3 times of the TV vertical screen size and recommended distance for viewing Standard Definition TV is 6 times of the TV vertical screen size.
He is saying he compared the PQ side by side with another STB.

This is unfortunate. I have a Samsung 40" Full HD LED Tv. I was using Airtel DTH earlier and moved to TataSky last year, in my experience, I find the PQ in both SD and HD top notch. In Airtel I never liked to see SD channels, but in TS, TV viewing is a pleasure with super quality in HD and SD channels. But it is the audio I have an issue, I feel the overall volume is reduced. :(

This is unfortunate. I have a Samsung 40" Full HD LED Tv. I was using Airtel DTH earlier and moved to TataSky last year, in my experience, I find the PQ in both SD and HD top notch. In Airtel I never liked to see SD channels, but in TS, TV viewing is a pleasure with super quality in HD and SD channels. But it is the audio I have an issue, I feel the overall volume is reduced. :(
I also noticed this. On a Samsung 55 inch LED TV in a shop, the HD channel PQ was much much better in Tata Sky. It looks like the issue is something to do with Sony TVs with poor motion flow rate alone. I also think, in TVs where the Motion Flow Rate is higher, the HD channels PQ is much better in Tata Sky. And yes, Audio wise, Airtel can't be matched, as they provide raw audio from broadcaster.

I also noticed this. On a Samsung 55 inch LED TV in a shop, the HD channel PQ was much much better in Tata Sky. It looks like the issue is something to do with Sony TVs with poor motion flow rate alone. I also think, in TVs where the Motion Flow Rate is higher, the HD channels PQ is much better in Tata Sky. And yes, Audio wise, Airtel can't be matched, as they provide raw audio from broadcaster.
I didn't get what you meant by raw audio.
In Sony Led change audio processor to Auto 1 rather than PCM. Tweak some TV settings and enjoy lifelike picturesque view.

I didn't get what you meant by raw audio.
In Sony Led change audio processor to Auto 1 rather than PCM. Tweak some TV settings and enjoy lifelike picturesque view.
Raw means, what's provided by the broadcaster without altering in trying to upscale DD audio to DD Plus Audio. And you will notice the difference only on a home theater.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock