Reliance Jio Media applies for pan-India MSO license

Reaction score
Reliance Jio Media applies for pan-India license

Reliance Jio Media, a subsidiary of Reliance Jio Infocomm, has applied for a pan India cable television multi system operator (MSO) license as part of its step to enter the broadcast distribution sector.

Confirming this to indiantelevision.com, an Information and Broadcasting Ministry official said that around 200 MSOs are in the queue for phase III of digital addressable system (DAS) license at present. Following the recent extension in date for registration of MSOs for phase III, the official said it was expected that this number may go up by another 70-80 MSO applicants.

At least 50 per cent of these applicants including Reliance Jio are expected to get clearances by March 2015.

Reliance Jio, the telecom arm of Mukesh Ambani led Reliance Industries, is the only company to have pan-India Broadband Wireless Access spectrum that can be used for 4G services. Reliance Jio has plans to start 4G services across most of the telecom circles by March 2015.

Reliance Industries has already announced that it will launch commercial 4G telecom service of Reliance Jio in 2015 entailing investment of Rs 70,000 crore. It will initially cover about 5,000 towns and cities accounting for over 90 per cent of urban India, as well as over 215,000 villages in India.

The company is focusing on convergence space and has bagged Broadband Wireless Access spectrum in 2010 and Internet Service Provider license was bagged through acquisition of Infotel Broadband Services in 2010.

The company has also showcased a 'Jio Television' that can be delivered through 4G network.

All these services will help Reliance Jio to offer broadband services through wireless media, wireline media and cable TV media thereby focusing on all types of broadband services pan-India.

Reliance Jio in February 2014 acquired airwaves in 1800 MHz band across 14 out of 22 service area in the country. The spectrum in this band can also be used for providing 4G services. The company already holds Unified Licence (UL), which allows it to use any technology to provide telecom services.

Under UL, sources said, Reliance Jio can offer Fiber-To-The-Home services and high speed broadband services to home and enterprise users.

An MSO license will help Reliance Jio to offer cable TV services through optical fiber thereby providing triple play service as done by large MSOs in the country say Hathway, Siti Cable, IN cable, DEN and others.

Reliance Jio applies for MSO licence

Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd (RJIL) is
seeking a pan-India MSO (multi-system operator)
licence that will enable it to get into the
broadcast distribution business.

RJIL has applied for an MSO licence to the
Ministry of Information & Broadcasting (MIB)
through its subsidiary, Reliance Jio Media.

“Reliance will require an MSO licence as it has a
fibre-to-the-home plan to offer television
channels to consumer homes. Re-transmitting
the signals of a TV channel through cable is like
an MSO operation. This is why it has applied for
a pan-India MSO licence,” a source said.

The distribution of television channels through
cable will pose a direct threat to MSOs and
direct-to-home (DTH) operators. RJIL, a
subsidiary of Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance
Industries Ltd (RIL), plans to offer broadband
Internet access, television and telephone with
wireless service provisions.

“RJIL will compete in multiple categories. It can
offer over-the-top (OTT) services and also TV
channels through cable. MSOs need to sort out
internal issues with the local cable operators
(LCOs) and focus on packaging and billing,” said
a senior cable TV executive.

RJIL holds spectrum in 1800 MHz (across 14
circles) and 2300 MHz (across 22 circles)
capable of offering fourth-generation (4G)
wireless services. RJIL plans to provide
seamless 4G services using FDD-LTE on 1800
MHz and TDD-LTE on 2300 MHz through an
integrated ecosystem.

The telecom operator is setting up a pan-India
telecom network to provide 4G high-speed
internet connectivity, rich communication
services and various digital services on a pan-
India basis across key domains such as
education, healthcare, security, financial services,
government citizen interfaces and entertainment.
RJIL is also deploying an enhanced packet core
network to create futuristic high-capacity
infrastructure to handle the huge demand for
data and voice. In addition, the 4G network will
provide voice services to and from non-RJIL
networks.

Earlier, it had demonstrated download speeds of
49 megabit per second on its 4G network at IIT
Mumbai. It had also showcased ‘Jio Television’
which will have live television (Jio Play) and
video-on-demand (Jio World) provided through
set-top box running on Android.
Reliance Jio applies for MSO licence | TelevisionPost.com

RE: Reliance Jio Media applies for pan-India license

Just now noticing the same news here..

Link Removed

RE: Reliance Jio applies for MSO licence

why this thread in dth section? And it doesnt relate to reliance digital tv.

RE: Reliance Jio Media applies for pan-India license

close this duplicate thread.

sagar.patnaik said:
Basically they ll provide IPTV

bro

iptv is different. r they providing cable n net services both?
iptv ll have less channels, 24/7 accessible system, u can watch anything at anytime, automatic channels will b recorded.

iptv is very very different, pan india level is not possible n ll not b possible for a new company

prateek1987 said:
bro

iptv is different. r they providing cable n net services both?
iptv ll have less channels, 24/7 accessible system, u can watch anything at anytime, automatic channels will b recorded.

iptv is very very different, pan india level is not possible n ll not b possible for a new company

They ll provide the channels using fibre optics. They have PAN india fibre optics connectivity so they can provide the service with broadband as well. This is the future. The last mile will be provided by LCO's initially. Number of channels depends on the service provider not the technology. Recording facility is just a feature. I hve used Airtel IPTV in Delhi. There the issue was that they did not had the bandwidth but with fibre optics bandwidth is virtually unlimited.

sagar.patnaik said:
They ll provide the channels using fibre optics. They have PAN india fibre optics connectivity so they can provide the service with broadband as well. This is the future. The last mile will be provided by LCO's initially. Number of channels depends on the service provider not the technology. Recording facility is just a feature. I hve used Airtel IPTV in Delhi. There the issue was that they did not had the bandwidth but with fibre optics bandwidth is virtually unlimited.

bro.......i know u r intelligent n u do have decent knowledge about the tech.....
i wanted to say that iptv is different. i also used adtv iptv in ghaziabad i.e. my home town. i never used it personally but my friend has got this.

speed n everything is good in adtv. still only two cities in india where one can use iptv services, how it can b possible on a pan india level.

bro we think it can or cannot b, but to cover pan india for iptv, almost impossible.

prateek1987 said:
bro.......i know u r intelligent n u do have decent knowledge about the tech.....
i wanted to say that iptv is different. i also used adtv iptv in ghaziabad i.e. my home town. i never used it personally but my friend has got this.

speed n everything is good in adtv. still only two cities in india where one can use iptv services, how it can b possible on a pan india level.

bro we think it can or cannot b, but to cover pan india for iptv, almost impossible.

Its absolutely possible , PAN india cable is more difficult. they already have fibre optic cable laid all over India they just have to start the service.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock