Discussion Satellite rights of Hindi movies

In a major deal, a satellite channel had bought rights of SRK’s 22 films
The list includes Swades, Om Shanti Om, Dilwale, Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani, Chennai Express, Happy New Year and Dear Zindagi among others. “It is one of the biggest deals in Bollywood. The price we are hearing is unheard of because some of them are old films as well like Paheli, Billu, Chamatkaar, Anjaam, Ram Jaane, etc.
22 Shah Rukh Khan films bought at one go

@Joyanaranha , @JollyLNB bro any idea who got it :huh:, I think it's vaicom
As per New & Fresh Deal total 22+ SRK Films Rights have been purchased but the main issue is who is the Broadcaster?

According to the Film List Major Titles are at present in record with ZEEL - some are with SPN and remaining with Viacom.
So here according to the News Feed it is sortable that the Broadcaster is Viacom with 98% chances as they are now very much eager to shine in new Glory with Colors Cineplex (SD+HD).

Rest a shere chance may be Upcoming Offering Zee Classic but main business is why ZEEL will buy the rights already they have acquired.

Now a 2% chances are for next offerings from SIPL namely Star Gold Family or Star Gold Thrills....

Or a last moment stunt from SPN ?

Actually the Countdown Starts to guess it right...

@dino29 Bhai & @JollyLNB Bhai.....Please share your valuable thoughts................

Last edited:
The list includes Swades, Om Shanti Om, Dilwale, Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani, Chennai Express, Happy New Year and Dear Zindagi among others. “It is one of the biggest deals in Bollywood. The price we are hearing is unheard of because some of them are old films as well like Paheli, Billu, Chamatkaar, Anjaam, Ram Jaane, etc.

As per New & Fresh Deal total 22+ SRK Films Rights have been purchased but the main issue is who is the Broadcaster?

According to the Film List Major Titles are at present in record with ZEEL - some are with SPN and remaining with Viacom.
So here according to the News Feed it is sortable that the Broadcaster is Viacom with 98% chances as they are now very much eager to shine in new Glory with Colors Cineplex (SD+HD).

Rest a shere chance may be Upcoming Offering Zee Classic but main business is why ZEEL will buy the rights already they have acquired.

Now a 2% chances are for next offerings from SIPL namely Star Gold Family or Star Gold Thrills....

@dino29 Bhai & @JollyLNB Please share your valuable thoughts................
My money is on Viacom. Already Zee has acquired a number of Salman movies from Star and now Viacom wants to do the same with SRK. Remember that it bought a bunch of Karan Johar-directed movies (except My Name Is Khan) from Star, all starring SRK. Surprisingly the rights for some movies are already with Viacom.

MovieExisting network
SwadesStar (I think; Star Gold premiered it in 2004/5. Source)
Om Shanti OmViacom (originally Star)
PBDHHZee or maybe Sony (Max 2 if at all)
Chennai ExpressZee
Happy New YearZee
DilwaleSony
Dear ZindagiZee
BilluViacom

It is shocking that Viacom or anyone will try to go for Chennai Express which is as much linked to Zee Cinema as Baahubali is to SET Max.

P.S. Swades premiere on Star Gold in 2004/2005:

Last edited:

Don't know bro

@dino29 Bhai & @JollyLNB Bhai.....Please share your valuable thoughts................

Sorry guys, was busy with stuff at home front so was not able to answer back. Still haven't had enough time to look deeper into facts related to this but my estimation says that Star India must have entered this exclusive deal with SRK.

If u look closely most of these movies r presently held either by Zee (Chennai Express, Happy New Year, Dear Zindagi), Sony (Chamatkar, Dilwale, Anjaam) & Viacom18 (Paheli, Billu, Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani, Om Shanti Om, Main Hoon Naa) so doesn't look like either of them would have entered a fresh deal by paying very high amount (as stated in article)

Dish TV has recently dropped SRK as their brand ambassador and Zee has not tasted success with any of his movies shown in recent past on their network. I would say Zee has least chance of being this highest bidder. Sony is again not so much interested in buying bollywood movies & surely will not invest so much in this.

Coming to Viacom18, well it might be the one who would have bagged these rights but again i don't find much substance in the fact that why would they be interested in paying enormous money for movies which have been shown numerous times in past few years on their network. With each airing some attraction or interest factor is lowered specially when this happens on same channel or network. Also Viacom18 does get many movies from Star India on temporary sharing basis hence they would not mind Star winning this deal.

Star India seems to be the frontrunner for me and most likely to have gone for this mega addition to their library. Firstly post their agreement with Salman ended they would be looking for big stars who can get fans hooked onto their network. We know SRK Movies have major pullback value among mass base cutting across age groups and people like watching them even on repeats. Star India would have sensed advantage in this. Secondly, all these films r either from Red Chillies, UTV, Rohit Shetty Productions, Mahest Bhatt Camp which does share good bond with Star India & got them even more comfortable while pondering on this option. Star India is working on expanding its content schedule for its hindi movie cluster and this will play a part in it. Post IPL, we might see their hindi movie channels rebranding or going thru some revamp.

Star India is working on expanding its content schedule for its hindi movie cluster and this will play a part in it. Post IPL, we might see their hindi movie channels rebranding or going thru some revamp.
Any source for a possible rebranding of Star Gold? Or is it your guess? :huh:

Any source for a possible rebranding of Star Gold? Or is it your guess? :huh:
Apart from the top leadership changes, still Star and Disney India are working as different units. So post IPL we can expect a restructuring of both.Star,Disney and UTV channels will brought under same distribution network. The merger results in many hindi movie channels thus they will go for re-branding and shutdowns.

Last edited:
One Doubt
Salman Khans films which are gone to zee are-
Race 3
Bharat
Dabbang 3
And Inshaalah
Then his contract will get over ?

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock