DTH updates STB Portability is an inch closer

Jithin91

Contributor
Reaction score
TRAI begins pilot testing for interoperable set-top boxes. The interoperable set-top boxes will allow subscribers to use the same set-top box interchangeably between various service providers

If all goes well, television households may now have interoperable set-top boxes. The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) has started the pilot testing of interoperable set-top boxes for digital TV broadcasting services which will allow subscribers to use the same set-top box interchangeably between various service providers. As many as 15 private companies are participating in the testing process including Dish TV, Siti Networks, Star India and ByDesign India, according to two people familiar with the development.

Set-top box interoperability is being tested for the first time. Nowhere in the world has it been achieved. There are 15 entities that have come for the pilot. Architecture is in place; the prototype design is ready. We will come out with test results within eight to ten weeks

Trai begins pilot testing for interoperable set-top boxes

Now i don't think MNP will be a success one in dth sector coz in future 2 dth network only going to remain or may be 3

It'll be great. Many DTH companies don't provide premium set top boxes with built-in hard disk and multiple tuners to watch one and record other channel. If DTH portability is implemented, those DTH customers will be able to enjoy other premium set top boxes such as Tata Sky/Airtel's PVR boxes.

First I will port to tata sky & keep another Dishvideocon as it is

Last edited:
It'll be great. Many DTH companies don't provide premium set top boxes with built-in hard disk and multiple tuners to watch one and record other channel. If DTH portability is implemented, those DTH customers will be able to enjoy other premium set top boxes such as Tata Sky/Airtel's PVR boxes.

That's the main reason why portability cannot be implemented in current form as boxes are subsidised by operators.

Jio surely would not want people buying jiophone and use bsnl sim with it as they are losing Rs 1000 by selling each phone. It's the same case with JioFi. Unlocked 4G mifi costs almost Rs4000 so loss is even more as Jio selling at rs 999. That's why it is network locked. So we cannot expect Jio to allow us to use JioFi with Airtel Vodafone or idea 4G.

So if portability comes then branded boxes cannot be ported only new boxes bought from 3rd party like solid or openbox can be ported .

And, what I'm wondering is that Jio is waiting for this 'STBP' (Set Top Box Portability) bcoz, now most of people has DTH/Cable Connection in our country. So, I don't think someone is going to pay again to buy a new STB.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock