Thought of The Day

• Thread starter Arjun
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 982
  • Views: Views 83,973
rpNQW2x.jpg

How High Expectations Can Lead to Disappointment and Depression
I was sitting on the couch in my bedroom, at sunset, looking at the trees outside my window.
While I was staring into oblivion, all my expectations came flashing to my mind.
"No, this is not what my life was supposed to be. I was supposed to be successful. I was supposedIn my mind, things were supposed to be different. My great expectations were robbing me of happiness, because I wasn’t where I wanted to be, I didn’t have what I expected to have, and I wasn’t who I expected I should be. to be very happy. What happened?”
In my mind, things were supposed to be different. My great expectations were robbing me of happiness, because I wasn’t where I wanted to be, I didn’t have what I expected to have, and I wasn’t who I expected I should be.
truth of the matter is that there are few people out there who are lucky enough to be living their dreams.
If beauty creams advertised their products by saying, “It will moisturize your skin and that’s pretty much it,” not too many people would buy the product.

Marketing survives by raising people’s expectations. When the product doesn’t meet up with their expectation, disappointment follows. And so it goes with most things in our lives.
We read great stories of people who defied the odds and became a success, but we never read about the people who did their best and failed. Their stories never become motivational quotes and bestselling books, because they didn’t make it.

We never hear their stories about how they put their heart and soul into something and failed, because that doesn’t sell books; that doesn’t sell conferences.
Many motivational books and personal coaches survive by raising people’s expectations instead of focusing on finding happiness with what they already have

Maybe you’re not Anna Wintour or Mark Zuckerberg, and you don’t have a million dollars in the bank.
Our expectations were too high, and we live in a world where it’s harder to meet those expectations.

Don’t get me wrong; I truly believe that dreams can come true. The point is that we shouldn’t expect it to happen. If it does happen, it will be a nice surprise. But if it doesn’t and we’re expecting it, we are likely doomed for disappointment and frustration

know you might be reading this and thinking of all the expectations that you had that you didn’t get to live up to. Maybe you’re feeling frustrated and sad.

The best and easiest way to be happy is to work toward our goals but never expect for them to become a reality. It’s a paradox. It’s the duality of existence.

It's a Funny thing about life; if you refuse to accept anything but the best, you very often get it.

-W. Somerset Maugham

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock