TRAI may regulate HD channels' subscription charges

• Thread starter Thakur
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 43
  • Views: Views 4,052

Thakur

Banned
Reaction score
New Delhi: Telecom and broadcast regulator, TRAI is planning to review the freedom given to direct-to-home service providers in deciding subscription charges for high definition channels.

There are about 40 HD channels in the country and DTH operators charge premium for them
compared to normal quality channels (standard definition or
SD).

"TRAI is mulling reviewing forbearance regime on HD channels.

Consultation paper on the same will be floated next month," stated an official source. The Telecom
Regulatory Authority of India has not found much difference between SD and HD viewing experience, the source added.

"There is also little difference in number of advertisements
between the two," the source said.

TRAI last year had issued direction that TV channels should show only 12 minutes of advertisements in an hour long programme but the same has been challenged by industry.
The matter is sub-judice. http://www.deccanchronicle.com/141226/technology-latest/article/trai-may-regulate-hd-channels-subscription-charges

RE: TRAI may regulate HD channels'
subscription charges

this is very very good news as dth companies cheated their customers as they provide hd channels.

for ex. a channel which is in sd as well as in hd,e.g. zee, colors, star plus. one can watch either zee or zee hd. but we r paying for both sd as well as hd.

if i have zee in my base pack in sd and i will subscribe for hd packs then i will get zee hd also than y shud i pay for both sd n hd as i will watch it in hd only bcoz i paid for it n i will get better picture quality.

they say hd wud have 5 times better pq but my q is how i come to know whether it has 5 times better pq or not. there is no measurement for that.

e.g. pq of each n every hd n sd channels r different. so there is no fix criteria. and secondly y shud we pay for both the channels as both the channels (hd n sd) are forcibly given to its customers.

few years back i used to pay 150 rs n i was getting all the channels. now the prices have been increased to 550 to 700 rs n still we r not getting all the channels.

so what we gained or have been gaining since then. the then existed prices are much lower as compare to today's.

at that time we dint have any stb so we were saving 1500- 2000rs. also annually or bi- annually as set top box's life time is nearly 1-2 years only. so we r forced to pay 2000 rs also n the quality of stb is also very bad. we all have faced many problems while using stb.

so in my opinion the prices of the pack shud come down as major channels earn the money from the ads n from the subscribers. so they r earning from both the sides which shud not be the case.

subscription charges

The timing is not right. HD has not matured yet. Curb on subscription fees will deter broadcasters to launch HD channels. Dish tv charges only Rs 5.5 per channel by any means its not high. I agree that we should hve a choice to pick from star plus or star plus HD but apart from GECs rest all show different programs on their SD and HD channels. India has only 4 million HD subscribers which is only 10% of the total DTH subscriber base. TRAI should wait at least 3 years and let number of HD channels cross 100. Those who say DTH companies are looting they should check their financial report almost every company is in red.

subscription charges

mr patnaik

every comapny is in red. could u please tell me the reason?

i wud like to tell u few years back when there was no digitisation, when there was no mso, when there was no dth, people were happy because the cost was very less.

people had multi room connections at their home but they were paying only for 1 tv. now we pay for each tv separately still companies or dth companies are in loss. why?????????

there are local cablewallas which provide services after merging with mso. still their prices are very low as compare to dth companies prices. how??????

for example in my area local cablewalla is providing service to me, he has had tied up with den networks so please tell me their r two profit takers ( local cablewalla n den networks) still their prices are less as compare to dth where their is only one profit taker. how it could be possible?

i read somewhere that in the month of june or july, the active subscribers of dth are just above 50%. do u really think that was a real figure. for every possibilities this was a fake figure as dth companies are providing wrong figures just to get capital outflows as well as capital inflows benefits n to avoid multiple or many taxation structure.

one more thing, if a guy is living in a remote area or in a well developed area or in a metropolitan city, all of them have to pay the same prices. now tell me the salaries as well as the tax benefits r different n they r generally based on the city in which u r working (residing). so y don't they have the different price structure for different areas just like tier 1, tier 2 or tier 3.

as we r all indians, we have to think for others also. how a villager or a low post - men will be able to pay a basic amount. i meant a high designated man like a CEO or CFO or a GM is also required to pay the same amount as the people like the watchmen would be required to pay.

prices should be rational but not uniform to all of its subscribers or potential customers.
don't u think its a bad move as once again we have discriminated the people as we used to have.

RE: TRAI may regulate HD channels'subscription charges

If govt really wants to make 100% digitisation, TAX BURDENS should be curbed..

It will solve all the problems..

Reminding that, Highest Tax paying "STATE" of country for DTH companies is Tamilnadu where DTH subscribers pays Rs.130+ as Tax for every Rs.250 they spend. (12.5% ST from central govt + 30% Entertainment Tax from state govt) (Source: DishTV)

Entire govt structure keen on adding Taxes to TV Viewers & makes the TV Viewing a impossible for poor people.. :wall:wall:wall

Its too early for govt to discuss about HD when old analog exists in most parts of the country..:no :no

And govt makes the people to think yesteryear Analog is far better than present mandatory digitisation & its tax burdens...:angry:angry

RE: TRAI may regulate HD channels'subscription charges

aravindan said:
If govt really wants to make 100% digitisation, TAX BURDENS should be curbed..

It will solve all the problems..

Reminding that, Highest Tax paying "STATE" of country for DTH companies is Tamilnadu where DTH subscribers pays Rs.130+ as Tax for every Rs.250 they spend. (12.5% ST from central govt + 30% Entertainment Tax from state govt) (Source: DishTV)

Entire govt structure keen on adding Taxes to TV Viewers & makes the TV Viewing a impossible for poor people.. :wall:wall:wall

Its too early for govt to discuss about HD when old analog exists in most parts of the country..:no :no

And govt makes the people to think yesteryear Analog is far better than present mandatory digitisation & its tax burdens...:angry:angry
:no:no:no:no
DishTv's claim is false as there is no entertainment tax on DTH in Tamil Nadu

Entertainment tax on DTH unconstitutional: Court - The Hindu

and in Madhya Pradesh

Indiantelevision.com's > Digital Edge> Supreme court gives entertainment tax relief to DTH operators

subscription charges

as all the 4 south indian states are well developed so their r low tax rates in those states.

i live in the biggest state of india i.e. uttar pradesh thats y we have higher tax system.

we pay more taxes bcoz we r under developed state n also we have highest population so its not possible to accomodate our people with low taxes.

n one more thing bro u get more channels by paying less bcoz u pay less taxes so u pay lesser amount as compare to roi packs in any dth.

subscription charges

hi sarkar bro

could u please tell me how is the pq of sd channels in tata sky n what is the life time duration of set top boxes of tata sky

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock