Good News TRAI wins the tariff order case against Star in Supreme Court

• Thread starter Shubh
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 1,725
  • Views: Views 231,332
But who will sell those ads when reach is limited for pay compared to fta ?

Easy. Let ad value be doubled to FTA channels, 50% in semi Pay Channels, AD Free on Premium Pay channels.

E,g,

Lets say ad cost is Rs 100 same across the channels irrespective of channel cost,
so lets have 3 channels, 1 Pay, 1 Semi Pay & 1 FTA.
Current cost would be Rs 300 for all 3 channels.
Now lets implement the plan. Ad cost = Rs 200 for FTA, Rs 100 for Semi Pay & Rs zero for Pay Channels so for same 3 channels they still receive Rs 300.
Now let Pay channels sell subscription at Rs 19, semi Pay at Rs 10 & FTA at zero.

This way users are not forced to pay for watching ads. Either ad via revenue or via subscriptions, if not then let them reduce the channel cost. Current system has zero control on ad's, even if there are any control they are of no use to subscribers. TRAI has to be a govt body to offer quality service to subscribers and not to AD Sponsors & Broadcasters. Their recent steps seems to only benefit Broadcasters and not Subscribers.

I watching mostly MTV beat HD. And irritated with sun music HD. Plz answer me there I low ad and low price , good quality in MTV. But the SMH all time two girls with half clothing and not shut their mouths 😠😠😠😠(very angry) . When they shut the ad start. Cost ₹22. What this nonsense, Bro's.😠

I stopped watching sun music long back, for that either you can switch to Vaanavil tv if available in your cable/dth or sahana, peppers and other FTA channels

I stopped watching sun music long back, for that either you can switch to Vaanavil tv if available in your cable/dth or sahana, peppers and other FTA channels
Yes bro I watching sahana, pepper, isaiaruvi, .....but can't control the iritation, when heard or seen the sun music. ( Not watch other sun channels also)

On the 15 per cent discount cap, in terms of discounting while making bouquets, you had moved to the Supreme Court, but later withdrew. Since the broadcasters forcing weaker channels onto consumers via bundling was the main premise of the NTO, do you think that without the cap it goes back to where it was? The broadcasters are allegedly still bundling channels even now and LCOs are clueless about educating consumers.

The averment that the discount cap of 15 per cent on bouquet price vis-a-vis the a-la-carte prices has been struck down is incorrect. Let me explain the nuances, The Tariff Order, vide proviso to clause 3(3) provides that price of a bouquet of pay channels cannot be less than 85 per cent of the sum of a-la-carte rates of the channels constituting that bouquet. However, a Hon'ble Judge in the judgement of the Hon'ble High Court of Madras observed that the 15 per cent cap on discount on the MRP of a bouquet is arbitrary and hence, unenforceable. In this regard, the Authority has approached the Hon'ble Supreme Court which was withdrawn owing to the verbal observation that the judgement dated October 30, 2018, sufficiently reinforces powers of TRAI and, therefore, the review was not necessary. As such, at present, the 15 per cent cap is not being implemented for the bouquets being made by the broadcasters. We are monitoring the implementation of the NTO by the service providers and take appropriate action as and when deemed necessary.

"Market forces at play; benefits of new tariff order will be visible soon": TRAI Chairman RS Sharma

We are monitoring the implementation of the NTO by the service providers and take appropriate action as and when deemed necessary.

I'm absolutely befuddled by repetitions of this statement by TRAI. What exactly are they waiting for?

TRAI releases the Draft Telecommunication (Broadcasting and Cable) Services Register of Interconnection Agreements Regulations, 2019

Press Release No. 29
Download (1.51 MB)

Draft Regulation
Download (308.72 KB)

DPOs will now have to file interconnection agreements with TRAI quarterly instead of yearly. Late submission to attract fines.

NK4rNfB.jpg

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock