• Start date
  • Replies: Replies 0
  • Views: Views 1,151

Bapun

Staff member
Community Manager
Solutions
Reaction score
By Radhika Bhirani, New Delhi, May 20: From a too good to be true daughter-in-law to a young professional, from a dutiful son to the host of a televised wedding, from a sassy wife to a Punjabi woman - TV stars Sakshi Tanwar, Hiten Tejwani and Rakshanda Khan have undergone role reversals over the years.

They are among the many old-time favourites who are queuing up on the small screen again after long gaps.

Farida Jalal's first stint with the id*ot box happened years ago when she played 'Badi chachi' in "Dekh Bhai Dekh", after which she featured as the notorious 'Nani' in "Shararat". She made a brief return with a cameo in "Balika Vadhu" in 2009, but SAB TV's forthcoming show "Ammaji Ki Galli" will see her in a full-fledged role once again.

The new show will also see Rakshanda coming back to limelight in the role of Parminder, and she is of course excited.

Rakshanda became a known face after playing Mallika Seth in "Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin" and Tanya Virani in "Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi".

Small screen's two favourites - Sakshi and Ram Kapoor, who are also producer Ekta Kapoor's blue-eyed actors - have paired up for Sony TV's forthcoming show "Bade Achhe Laggte Hain".

While Sakshi gained fame as Parvati Agarval of "Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii", Ram made it big after shows like "Ghar Ek Mandir" and "Kasamh Se".

The show was written with both the actors in mind, and they are more than happy with the unusual love story in which
Sakshi plays a 30-plus, happy-go-lucky woman, and Ram essays a 40-year-old ruthless entrepreneur.

"I was offered this role a long time ago, but I had refused because of date issues. It would have been foolish of me to
say no again because on small screen it doesn't happen that somebody writes a show specifically keeping you in mind,
and Ekta waited for both of us all this while. And that is a big thing," said Ram.

Hiten will also be seen after a long time as the host of the third season of Imagine TV's swayamvar, "Ratan Ka Rishta".

"I am happy that it's been nine years since I have been in the industry and people are still ready to give me work. 'Ratan Ka Rishta' is something new I am doing and I hope the audience likes it," Hiten told IANS.

The young actor became a part of audience's lives after featuring in prominent roles in "Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thhi" and "Kutumb". He was last seen in a cameo in "Rang Badalti Odhani".

Given a choice, Hiten would like to be cast in more "real characters" now.

"After so many years, I want something challenging, and it is a big responsibility to essay a role inspired by a known character. I would want to work on my character and push the envelope - that's what an actor is meant to do, isn't it?" he said.

Even though there is a lot of new blood on small screen, some actors have remained telly favourites over the years.

Mansi Parekh, who became popular as the carefree Punjabi girl in "India Calling" in 2005, is also being seen as the protagonist in STAR Plus' "Gulaal" these days.

Actors Nitesh Pandey and Indira Krishnan, who had teamed up a decade ago for "Manzilein Apani Apani", are also being seen in different avatars these days. Nitesh plays a funny detective in SAB TV's "Jaankhilavan Jasoos" and Indira looks as fresh as ever as the amiable lead character in "Krishnaben Khakhrawala" on Sony TV.

Supriya Pilgaonkar, who was loved as the argumentative daughter-in-law in "Tu Tu Main Main" in the mid 1990s, still manages to charm the audience as 'Badi maa' in "Sasuraal Genda Phool".

Actress Deepika Deshpande, who was first seen on Indian television as Kanwaljeet Singh's love interest in the popular romantic show "Farmaan" on DD, is also seen in a small role in "Kismat".

(Radhika Bhirani can be contacted at [email protected])

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock