DTH updates Update Regarding HBO HD channel subtitle issue

I sent an email,got a call this morning. They didn't agree there's an issue as usual. I told them I got to know it's a set top box issue. Then she said she'll check and get back.

I wonder how this channel alone having trouble?.

Same doubt...:unsure:

Guys, I guess the following could be the reason.

When I watched HBO HD at my home when I was there a couple of months ago, I did not see the subtitle either. But it was coming in the HBO SD channel, in the same HD STB (I am not aware of the STB model name, but we got it replaced sometime last year because the older HD STB was malfunctioning).

Only then I noticed a new, small box in the Channel Information window that pop-ups in the bottom of the screen whenever we press the Info button. This box displayed something like [SUB-T]. I guess this means Sub Title, meaning this channel supports Enabling/Disabling subtitles. However, when I pressed the yellow colored subtitle button in the Remote Control, it did not enable the subtitle for the HBO HD channel. Pressing that button instead did something else (I do not exactly recall which menu it opened, but it definitely had nothing to do with subtitles).

So, at that time, I thought this feature might need another OTA Update for the STB for this issue to get resolved. Now it looks like that is almost the case. Also, on retrospective, based on @Niranjan M's updates, I infer that my HD STB is not N series either.

Coming to your doubt, I noted at that time that this [SUB-T] box did not appear in the Channel Information window for any other HD or SD channels when I pressed the Info button (at least that was the case when I checked it 2 months back).

Hence, I believe this Enabling/Disabling subtitles is a new feature, that only the HBO HD channel has implemented first. And that the subtitles are enabled/disabled by the channel operator itself for all the other channels. This is very similar to how we see that small image in the Channel Information window ONLY when we switch to a channel that has multi-language audio feed. I mean, this image does not appear for other channels that only have a single audio feed.

So it looks like this new feature is not yet available (to enable/disable subtitles at customer end) for the other channels in India. Or at the least in SUN Direct :)

On that note, @Vadirocks, could you please check if pressing the Subtitle button in your remote control enables/disables the subtitle for the HBO HD channel? I am wondering if the enabling/disabling works alright for the N Series STBs.

If it does, this would then be a great feature, and a first in India :) It will be useful for viewers who consider subtitles as an unwanted distraction! I have read that almost all channels in the United States allow customers to enable/disable the closed captioning (subtitles) using their remote controls.

Thanks in Advance :)

Last edited:

When I watched HBO HD at my home when I was there a couple of months ago, I did not see the subtitle either. But it was coming in the HBO SD channel, in the same HD STB (I am not aware of the STB model name, but we got it replaced sometime last year because the older HD STB was malfunctioning).

Only then I noticed a new, small box in the Channel Information window that pop-ups in the bottom of the screen whenever we press the Info button. This box displayed something like [SUB-T]. I guess this means Sub Title, meaning this channel supports Enabling/Disabling subtitles. However, when I pressed the yellow colored subtitle button in the Remote Control, it did not enable the subtitle for the HBO HD channel. Pressing that button instead did something else (I do not exactly recall which menu it opened, but it definitely had nothing to do with subtitles).

So, at that time, I thought this feature might need another OTA Update for the STB for this issue to get resolved. Now it looks like that is almost the case. Also, on retrospective, based on @Niranjan M's updates, I infer that my HD STB is not N series either.

Coming to your doubt, I noted at that time that this [SUB-T] box did not appear in the Channel Information window for any other HD or SD channels when I pressed the Info button (at least that was the case when I checked it 2 months back).

Hence, I believe this Enabling/Disabling subtitles is a new feature, that only the HBO HD channel has implemented first. And that the subtitles are enabled/disabled by the channel operator itself for all the other channels. This is very similar to how we see that small image in the Channel Information window ONLY when we switch to a channel that has multi-language audio feed. I mean, this image does not appear for other channels that only have a single audio feed.

So it looks like this new feature is not yet available (to enable/disable subtitles at customer end) for the other channels in India. Or at the least in SUN Direct :)

On that note, @Vadirocks, could you please check if pressing the Subtitle button in your remote control enables/disables the subtitle for the HBO HD channel? I am wondering if the enabling/disabling works alright for the N Series STBs.

If it does, this would then be a great feature, and a first in India :) It will be useful for viewers who consider subtitles as an unwanted distraction! I have read that almost all channels in the United States allow customers to enable/disable the closed captioning (subtitles) using their remote controls.

There Is No Subtitle Button In My Remote

Even If I Press Info Button It Shows Only EPG & Signal Level

R u using Y series box.?

In the Y series box only it will shows SubT in the info of that channel

There Is No Subtitle Button In My Remote

Even If I Press Info Button It Shows Only EPG & Signal Level

Very well. Thank you for checking anyway. Please do post a screen shot of your remote control. Because this is new news to me, remote controls of HD STBs not having subtitle buttons.

@Niranjan M:
1) How about your remote control? Does it have the yellow colored Subtitle button?
2) Also, does the HBO HD channel alone show the SUB-T in the Channel Information window (EPG)?

Thanks in advance :)

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock