Best ways to connect STB to TV and AVR

• Thread starter Thread starter raj29shenoy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 5
  • Views Views: Views 2,915

raj29shenoy

Reaction score
I could not find any post where people share how they connect their STBs to the TV and AVR. I think this could be very interesting for the benefit of all to know what different tips and tricks people follow to get the best out of their dth connection.

In next post I talk about how I have configured my STB.
Request FMs to share theirs to make this thread lively.

I have following gadgets at home: Airtel HD-DVR, Samsung 40" LCD TV and Onkyo HTS-3300 5.1 Home theatre.

Video: Airtel HD-DVR HDMI Out to Samsung TV HDMI In
Select option of Stereo sound output over HDMI in Airtel HD-DVR

Audio: Airtel HD-DVR SPDIF Out to Onkyo AVR SPDIF In
Select option of Dolby Digital output over SPDIF in Airtel HD-DVR

Advantage: For normal channels i.e. one without DD 5.1, I do not switch on my AVR instead listen to the audio though TV speakers. (Its a greener solution too, saves electricity :c)
For HD channels with DD 5.1, I bring the TV volume to 0, switch on the AVR and enjoy the surround sound effects! (I am waiting for the world cup to begin :) )

Note: If you want surround sound always on, then connect STB HDMI out to AVR HDMI in and AVR HDMI out to TV HDMI in (no need to use SPDIF). And select Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Surround over HDMI in Airtel HD-DVR.

Earlier when I had Reliance SD STB, this was my connection:

Video: STB Component out goes to Component in of TV
Audio: Left and Right Audio out to Left and Right in of TV
No connection made to the AVR as no DD 5.1 out available from STB and I don't like the stereo to surround sound audio conversion.

Wats AVR HDMI? where its located? pic please
Also suggest economy home theater systems of good brands

rahul442 said:
Wats AVR HDMI? where its located? pic please
Also suggest economy home theater systems of good brands

It is the HDMI in port of the AVR i.e. Audio Video Receiver of the home theatre.

The one which I have costed around 22K when I bought it four years back. Now new models are available from Onkyo with more features at more or less similar price. You can check their website Onkyo India

There are also even more economical home theatres available from Philips, LG, Samsung, Sony etc usually in range from 12K upwards.

It all depends on what kind sound output you want, your room size, whether the primary usage is for movies or for music, what kind of connections (like HDMI port), 3D ready or not, 4K capable or not, 5.1 or 7.1, active or passive subwoofer etc.

It can range from 10-12K to Lakhs of Rupees.

Finally you need to select the one which syncs perfectly with your ears and with your pocket! ;)

So my suggestion would be for you is to first fix a budget, then filter out those which fits in your budget, then filter out which would fit in your room, then take a demo of those at the shops to see which one sounds best and then make a choice!

Unfortunately, no one can pinpoint and say this is the Home theatre one should buy as it varies from individual to individual.

Thanks for great info.. I can't spend more than 5000 rs for system .. Let me know if any value systems

rahul442 said:
Thanks for great info.. I can't spend more than 5000 rs for system .. Let me know if any value systems

You might get some locally made or some Chinese brands at that price. But I seriously would doubt the audio quality in that. And more importantly, such systems may not come with HDMI ports!

You could also try Sound Bars instead of a Home theater. They are also pretty good (but not as effective as HT). Philips make some good Sound Bars.

Back
Top Bottom