Phase I Digitization level reaches 84%:I&B Ministry

• Thread starter suri
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 4
  • Views: Views 1,945

suri

Reaction score
The overall level of digitization goes upto "84% in four metro cities" as per the figures now available with the I&B Ministry.The level of Cable TV digitization in Delhi has increased to 66%. Mumbai leads with 99% followed by Kolkata at 73%, and Chennai 59% .

It has been reported by the 6 private DTH operators that 9.45 Lakh households have got DTH connections in Delhi as on 9th October 2012. As per the data made available by the Multi System Operators, 15.88 Lakh Set Top Boxes have already been installed in Delhi.

The Ministry has also clarified on the suspicion raised by the press towards the data supplied. During the initial stage of planning, the data was collated by the Ministry based on the information supplied by the MSOs.

On perusal of the data, it was observed that there were grave discrepancies in data, particularly number of Cable TV subscribers in four metro cities furnished by the MSOs as it did not present the true picture largely due to duplication of cable connections. Industry stakeholders also felt that the data projected by MSOs are on higher side.Moreover, the data did not reflect the numbers vis-a-vis service and entertainment tax collection.

In view of the given discrepancy, the Ministry has under taken the exercise to base the data Census of India 2011, released by Office of Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. This data has authentic figures relating to households and TV penetration in four metro cities of Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai. Census data has been widely used both Government and non Government agencies for planning and policy purposes as data collection is done by house to house survey by an impartial body. Data in respect of the number of DTH subscribers in four metros are also being collected by the Ministry on a regular basis from six private DTH operators to know their reach in the four metro cities.

As per the Census data 2011 released by the Office of Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India, the Total Households in Delhi are 33.41 Lakh with 88% TV penetration which implies that Delhi has 29.39 Lakh TV households. However inspite of the rise of figures to 66% ,19.94 Lakh households still have Cable TV connections and about 23.93 lakhs subscribers require set top boxes.

Source is:http://www.mediamughals.com/News/1/1/Article/10851/Phase_I_Digitization_level_reaches_84_:I&B_Ministry.htmPhase I Digitization level reaches 84%:I&B Ministry

As the % is very low in Delhi and Chennai i feel govt will give another extension.

they may announce the extension on 30th Oct'12 that it is extended by another 3 months say till Jan'13.

karthik said:

yeah bro. you cannot predict indian govt run by politicians. they take decision only on last day. let see what decision they take on last day.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock