• Thread starter Thread starter Deep Mody
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 5
  • Views Views: Views 594

Deep Mody

Television Genius
Contributor
Reaction score
“Karan Johar has been looking to monetise his stake in Dharma for some time, but past deals have fallen through due to disagreements over valuation,” said a person familiar with previous negotiations, requesting anonymity.

“In the past, RIL acquired a minority stake in Balaji. A similar arrangement could be made with Dharma,” said a second person. A potential stake purchase would boost Reliance’s content production portfolio, which currently includes Jio Studios, Viacom18 Studios, Colosceum Media and a minority stake in Balaji.

A media analyst noted that many film production houses are weighing fundraising plans to overcome financial stress since the pandemic. “One reason Dharma Productions could be exploring a stake sale is that a personality-driven organisation eventually seeks to ensure its future by transitioning to professional management,” the analyst said.

aFL3nNf.jpeg
F6m7PHm.jpeg

Adar Poonawalla was quoted as saying in the release, "I am delighted to have the opportunity to partner with one of the most iconic production houses in our nation, along with my friend Karan Johar. We hope to build and grow Dharma and scale even greater heights in the years to come."

“India's entertainment industry has experienced significant expansion, driven by surging digital penetration and a diverse audience seeking high-quality content across multiple platforms, with growing global relevance,” Dharma said in its release.

Adar Poonawalla was quoted as saying in the release, "I am delighted to have the opportunity to partner with one of the most iconic production houses in our nation, along with my friend Karan Johar. We hope to build and grow Dharma and scale even greater heights in the years to come."

“India's entertainment industry has experienced significant expansion, driven by surging digital penetration and a diverse audience seeking high-quality content across multiple platforms, with growing global relevance,” Dharma said in its release.

so RIL not acquiring

Good, Reliance is not acquiring. They already have Viacom 18 studios, Jio Studios and Star Studios will join soon. There should be diverse players in all fields.

Good, Reliance is not acquiring. They already have Viacom 18 studios, Jio Studios and Star Studios will join soon. There should be diverse players in all fields.
But Dharma Productions already has a long-running deal with Colors Cineplex which is owned by Reliance. And some Dharma movies have gone to Disney Star as well, so Reliance is very much involved at least as far as satellite rights are concerned, if not ownership.

Back
Top Bottom