Star India in 3-year movie deal with Karan Johar

• Thread starter Thakur
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 0
  • Views: Views 822

Thakur

Banned
Reaction score
With movie acquisition costs going up, Star India is ensuring that it gets a regular pipeline of films for its fleet of entertainment channels by tying up with Bollywood stars. Now it has tied up with a leading film production house to drive its movie production business.

Star has inked a three-year production and distribution deal with film director Karan Johar. The new move signifies Star’s aggression in the movie business.

Fox Star Studios, the studio arm of Star, will partner Johar’s Dharma Productions to co-produce and distribute nine films. The deal is estimated to be worth Rs 500 crore (Rs 5 billion), Economic Times has reported.

Dharma Productions has a roster of directors like Johar, Ayan Mukherjee, Karan Malhotra and Abhishek Verman. It also deals with a battery of stars like Ranbir Kapoor, Aishwarya Rai, Shahid Kapoor and Alia Bhatt. “It was time to scale up for Fox Star Studios and deepen our presence and reset the dial, creatively and commercially,” Star India CEO Uday Shankar told the business daily. Some movies will be co-produced, while others will be pure distribution.

“I believe in relationships, bonds and vibes, and I connect with people. If I like them, I want to work with them, which was the case here. For the rest, I left it to my CEO, Apoorva (Mehta) who is the business brain and backbone of this deal.

Unlike what people believe, collaborations don’t dilute brands. In fact, this is a profile and power deal, which we hope will bring back the falling footfalls to cinema halls,” Johar told ET

Read more at: 

http://www.televisionpost.com/news/star-india-in-3-year-movie-deal-with-karan-johar/

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock