Discussion Viewership of HD channels grew by a whopping 169% in two years: BARC

• Thread starter Sagar
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 17
  • Views: Views 2,219
ROM bro its a small try by Dishtv,in future all will follow I think,always Dishtv is a head in giving cheap rates for channels

I dont think it will happen in a decade

forget a single decade, it will require more than 3 decade, just look at the first table, SD viewership is 16 times more than HD(even with this 169% hike) which means for a single HD TV there are 16 CRT TV in market and bulk of those in rural are where purchasing power is very low, so they will not replace CRT just for PQ quality, they will only buy new HD TV only when old CRT one stop working and price fits according to their pockets

Good to see increase in HD channel viewership, I believe more the people viewing them cheaper the price would get.

I personally watch movies on Star MAA HD channel over weekends and apart from clarity/quality the thing I like most is the less number of ads. Same movie would be played on SD and HD channel and would on HD would finish 15-30 minutes before the SD one :)

If only one dth will try and push more hd channels at lower costs( say a disruptive ₹50-100)., Like jio, in another 5yrs we can say most channels will have hd feed.its not difficult. Out of the box thinking is required and huge sum of money.
Once all channels start hd feed, people will get used to it and will be ready to pay more.

HD viewership credit goes to indian government for implementing local cable digitisation and dth players giving hd channels at affordable price.

Last edited:
My local cable gives sd and some hd channels at same cost. Nothing more for viewing hd channels.
(₹230pm)

at least if all dth give hd channels as low cost it will be useful to all...

Some numbers are wrong. There are currently 91 HD channels excluding Miniplex HD. There are 7 Hindi, 7 English (incl. Disney International) and 3x6=18 regional HD channels in 6 languages, totalling 32 (but that is okay as they would not have included Disney International HD and/or Zee Tamil HD as these were launched latest). And how come only 50 channels are available in both SD and HD? Except the following (totally 14 incl. Sony Rox HD), all HD channels are available in SD also (78).

Disney International HD, Star World Premiere HD, MN+ HD, Star Movies Select HD, Sony Le Plex HD, &privé HD, Sony Ten Golf HD.

Downscaled to SD: FYI TV18 HD, Nat Geo People HD, Baby TV HD, Nat Geo Music HD, D Sport HD, Epic HD.

Sony Rox HD's SD version can be considered to be Sony Mix.
-------
Nevertheless I am confident that we will cross the 100 HD channels mark when Zee Telugu HD, Zee Kannada HD, Colors Tamil HD and Cartoon Network HD are launched along with others. :cheers: :cheers: There should be more HD channels in the kids and music genres. Also Odia, Assamese and Gujarati channels can try to launch HD channels in the next 3-5 years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock