Discussion What will be the implications of Disney-Reliance merger?

• Thread starter Thread starter 0039808520e
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 1
  • Views Views: Views 412

0039808520e

Reaction score
Now that Disney and Reliance have merged, what will be its implications in the long run? I have read replies here on DDF saying things like there will be no more free cricket, some channels will be shut down and there will be a big shift in OTT space. So what are your thoughts on this? What channels do you think will be shut downed in the process? Which OTT app will rise up as winner out of this merger? Do you think there will be a rebranding in the Disney+ Hotstar app or the Jio Cinema App? My main concern is in the kids domain as Disney has 4 kids channels ( Dinsey Channel, Disney Junior, Hungama, Super Hungama) and various other kids related assets in India. What will be their future? Eager to hear your thoughts on these! :)

Well it's really tough to say what would be the impact as of now, but yes one thing is for sure - with this merger the entity created would be big enough to challenge the likes of Netflix and Prime Video.

It would be really interesting to see how would they go about managing the stuff. As now they have an opportunity to create a mammoth of an organization - which would have presence in every aspect of TV and Digital media. So would should expect massive changes in both linear and OTT side of business.

Cost is another factor which would come into play, but having said that - it would become very interesting in the world of bundles. And that would be the first reality of this merger. I believe the option of free won't go away, but yes the quality and the variety one expects would also come - but at price. So one should not worry on that perspective atleast for now. And very exciting time coming forth this Diwali season. So keep a close eye on the things and see what all is going to unveil soon.

Back
Top Bottom