DISH TV SRI LANKA LAUNCH BY MARCH 2015

Joined
25 Dec 2012
Messages
2,773
Likes
1,222
#1
Complete details below

DISH TV GETS SRI LANKA LICENCE
Dish TV has informed the Bombay
Stock Exchange (BSE) that Dish TV
Lanka (Private) Limited, the
Company's Subsidiary Company in
Sri Lanka, has been granted a
'Satellite Television Broadcasting
License' (DTH License) by the
Government of Sri Lanka to establish, operate and maintain Satellite Television Network for the purpose of Digital Television Satellite Broadcasting.

Confirming the news, Dish TV COO
Salil Kapoor told the press "We are pleased with this development that we have been issued the DTH licence by government of Sri Lanka to
operate DTH services in Sri Lanka.
We have been working on this for
last couple of months. Now the focus will be on building up the ground operations."

SRI LANKA JV

Dish TV will operate in Sri Lanka
through a joint venture company
called Dish TV Lanka (Pvt) Ltd. Dish TV Lanka was incorporated on 25 April last year. In the JV, Dish TV holds 70% stake while the remaining 30% is with local partner Satnet Pvt Ltd.
Dish TV has indicated that it will be investing close to Rs. 100 crore in the JV with Satnet. For this DTH service, it has also bought extra transponder capacity on SES-8 that
was launched in December 2014.

MUCH HIGHER SUBSCRIPTIONS

Unlike India, the ARPU (Average
Revenue Per User) in Sri Lanka is
much higher. Dialog TV - the island nation's only
existing DTH platform offers monthly packages priced between LKR 699 for
51 channels to LKR 1,949 for 88 TV channels. (Prices Are in Sri Lanka Rupees (LKR) (1 Indian Rupee = 2.12 LKR).

SAT & SERVICE

Dish TV Lanka has taken its own
transponder capacity on the new SES -8 satellite located at 95 degrees East.
Test transmissions have already
commenced for 20 Sri Lankan TV
channels. Initial test transmissions
are Free-To-Air, but these will soon migrate to CONAX encryption - the same used by DishTV India. MPEG-4 compression will be utilised
for all Dish TV Lanka channels.

LAUNCH BY MARCH 2015

Dish TV has already invested Rs. 25 Crore (Rs. 250 million) in the
project. It has purchased land and
created an uplinking facility near
Colombo.
"We were only waiting for the
licence. We have created an
uplinking facility and are ready. We just need to work out the marketing plan and stitch content deals. We could launch this quarter or it could
get extended to the next," a
company official told the press.

CONTENT

Sri Lanka has a high demand for
Englishlanguage international
channels. Dish TV will also have to
offer many if not all the 21 Sri
Lankan TV channels. Indian Tamil-
language channels are also popular in Sri Lanka.

SRI LANKA PAY TV MARKET

Though Pay TV ARPUs in Sri Lanka
are more than double of those in
India, the number of Pay TV
subscribers is miniscule, compared to India.

Dialog TV (DTV) DTH is a fully owned subsidiary of Dialog Axiata PLC. Dialog TV was launched in July 2005 as "CBNsat" but rebranded as Dialog TV in February 2007 after the
company was acquired by Dialog
Axiata PLC. Dialog TV currently has over 250,000 subscribers.
Its main competitors in the pay TV
market in Sri Lanka are Lanka
Broadband Networks (LBN) providing cable television services in analog and DVB-C in selected areas in Sri Lanka and PEO TV, which is an IPTV platform operated by Sri Lanka Telecom PLC.
Pirated Indian DTH STBs from
Videocon, Sun Direct, DishTV and
Airtel DTH. These Indian DTH
packages have the advantage of
much larger number of channels and significantly lower monthly
subscriptions. They however do not offer local Sri Lankan TV channels. Dish TV Lanka will have to compete in this market.

http://www.scatmag.com/article6.htm
 

Speedish

Registered
Joined
13 Aug 2014
Messages
528
Likes
176
#6
Can we have that 20 SL channels on DishTV India?
 
Top Bottom