Discussion airtel Double-Dipping DBR amount on First Day of activating channels

• Thread starter TJ_DJ
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 26
  • Views: Views 14,143

TJ_DJ

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all, we know airtel DTH deducts the DBR at the end of each day, i.e. after providing service for that day (and not in advance). Earlier there were reports that users used to activate all channels during the day and then remove them just before midnight, so that eventually the DBR deducted is just for the base FTA Channels with only NCF (i.e Rs 130+tax)

Airtel plugged this by introducing instant debit of money from account if you 'add' channels during the day. While this is correct for airtel, I have observed this is resulting in double-dipping for users. I will explain with an example here. Experts may comment or try doing the same.

For Eg, Lets say my current package has a DBR of Rs 8.00, and my current balance as of today 09-Aug is Rs 100.
In an ideal case with no changes, my Balance would be:
09-Aug: Rs 100
10-Aug: Rs 100 - Rs 8 = Rs 92
11-Aug: Rs 92 - Rs 8 = Rs 84
and so on.

Now lets say today I add channels during the day, so that my DBR increases to Rs 13.00
In an ideal case, my Balance would be:
09-Aug: Rs 100
10-Aug: Rs 100 - Rs 13 = Rs 87
11-Aug: Rs 87 - Rs 13 = Rs 74
and so on, which is correct.

Now, what's happening is due to the instant deduction on channel activation, airtel immediately debits the additional DBR instantly, so New DBR (Rs 13) - Old DBR (Rs 8) = Rs 5 is deducted instantly. It means that for today "09-Aug", I have already paid for the new channels added. Hence my DBR for today "09-Aug" should still be the old DBR of Rs 8.00 and from tomorrow (10-Aug) onward, it should be the new DBR of Rs 13.00

Hence, the Balance should be:
09-Aug: Rs 100 - Rs 5 (instant deduction of DBR difference) = Rs 95
10-Aug: Rs 95 - Rs 8 (take old DBR as Rs 5 was already debited instantly) = Rs 87
11-Aug: Rs 87 - Rs 13 (start debiting new DBR) = Rs 74
Note that these values match with the above values, i.e. if DBR difference was not debited instantly but at the end of the day.

However, what airtel is doing is, it is instantly debiting DBR Difference of Rs 5, and again factoring it in the DBR debited today end of day. So for today (09-Aug) I will pay Rs 5 twice, which is the DBR of channels added today. Isnt this incorrect?
What airtel does:
09-Aug: Rs 100 - Rs 5 (instant deuction of DBR difference) = Rs 95
10-Aug: Rs 95 - Rs 13 (takes new DBR although DBR difference was already debited) = Rs 82
11-Aug: Rs 82 - Rs 13 = Rs 69
and so on.

Effectively, I paid Rs 5 twice on the day I activated the channels. I agree the amount is small. However, double dipping is a serious offence and should not be done in any case. What are your thoughts, guys?

@TJ_DJ bro, even I notice so, also bro sometimes airtel deducts dbr twice as my due date is reduced by 1 day although I haven't added any channel, not sure how's the validity reduced by 1 day.

I was not known that airtel is instantly deducting amount.
I am holder of tata sky, and When channel lockdown period reduced from 30 days to 1 day. these problem occuerd, subsciber remove channel before midnight.

Now In case of airtel, just check back, if u unsubscibe channel before midnihgt, are they they reversing instan amount.

to be presice. , as per ur example ur balance as on 11 august is rs69 ( that is at midnight 00:00 ) so visible(say at 6AM balnce on app/selfcare portal on 12th august would be 69. Now do this.

On 12th august just unsubscibe additional rs5 channel from ur pack.
so ideally, ur balance visible 6AM on 13th august would be 69-8=61.
If this is not happening then its glitch/bug.
Otherwise, its very correct.

Isnt this incorrect?
No, it's not incorrect.
Airtel deducts DBR at the beginning of the day. Today's DBR has been already deducted.
Now, let's understand with your example. Suppose, your current balance after deducting today's DBR of Rs8 is 100. Now, if you'll activate a channel whose DBR is Rs 5 then they'll instantly deduct Rs5 so the overall deduction for today is Rs 13. If you'll continue the channel then they'll deduct a DBR of Rs13 in the midnight for tomorrow.
So, where did you pay double?

No, it's not incorrect.
Airtel deducts DBR at the beginning of the day. Today's DBR has been already deducted.
Now, let's understand with your example. Suppose, your current balance after deducting today's DBR of Rs8 is 100. Now, if you'll activate a channel whose DBR is Rs 5 then they'll instantly deduct Rs5 so the o lverall deduction for today is Rs 13. If you'll continue the channel then they'll deduct a DBR of Rs13 in the midnight for tomorrow.
So, where did you pay double?
I had raised this question earlier if airtel deducts DBR at the start of the day or at end of the day. The responses I received here confirmed that airtel debits the DBR at the end of the day, and not in advance. This can also be confirmed from the fact that if you have a Suspended account with Rs 0 in your account and you recharge Rs 200, then the balance stays Rs 200 and the DBR will be deducted only on the end of the day. (Assuming you got a waiver of reconnection charges of Rs 15 / Rs 20 - this is not the DBR that gets deducted instantly when reactivating a suspended connection)

I had raised this question earlier if airtel deducts DBR at the start of the day or at end of the day. The responses I received here confirmed that airtel debits the DBR at the end of the day, and not in advance. This can also be confirmed from the fact that if you have a Suspended account with Rs 0 in your account and you recharge Rs 200, then the balance stays Rs 200 and the DBR will be deducted only on the end of the day. (Assuming you got a waiver of reconnection charges of Rs 15 / Rs 20 - this is not the DBR that gets deducted instantly when reactivating a suspended connection)
Yeah that's IMF idle maintenance fee(another name of robbery) but how it connects to ur above issue bro ??

Earlier DBR for current day was deducted next day but now same day deduction has been implemented.... There is no double deduction however u will not get respective amount back if u deactivate ch on day of addition but incase u deactivate/activate diff ch or bouquet simultaneously then only differential excess amount would b debited

U r confusing earlier system policy being same for current system which is not the case... Just remove the ch when u intend to not watch it next day so that bal gets saved

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock