• Replies: Replies 0
  • Views: Views 844

Bapun

Staff member
Community Manager
Solutions
Reaction score
CHENNAI, OCT. 24:
At least 20 per cent of TV homes in the four metros may go blank by the digitisation deadline of October 31.

Going by the numbers of some last mile cable operators, hardly 60-65 per cent of analogue homes in these cities are digitised as of now. In the remaining few days, another 15-20 per cent may come on board, say operators.

However, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting in its recent announcement said nearly 87 per cent of the television-owning households have already been digitised in these cities.

Contradicting this, Gurmeet Singh, Legal Head of Satellite Channels Pvt Ltd, a multi system operator (MSO) in Delhi, says these estimates are very conservative.

“According to reports from our LCOs (local cable operators), at least 35-40 per cent of TV homes may go blank in these cities.” He says in Delhi only 42 per cent of TV homes are digitised as of now. In Mumbai, it would be around 60 per cent and in Kolkata it is between 35-40 per cent.

“In the next few days I expect another 20 per cent may get digitised,” he said.

According to him, inventory of set-top boxes and antennas is not a problem, MSOs and DTH players are well stocked.

But, if there is a last minute rush not much can be done. One technician can install at best five to six connections a day, if it is an apartment. And not many LCOs or DTH players can deploy more than two or three technicians in a locality, he said.

An LCO of a leading cable service provider in Chennai said he is collecting Rs 500 per home with a promise to install set-top boxes on or before October 28, “but, I am really not sure whether I would be able to keep my word.”

The Tamil Nadu Government’s Arasu Cable is expected to begin installation of set-top boxes earliest by the second half of November.

Recently, the Bengal Government too sought an extension of the deadline, as a sudden blackout of television sets “may create law and order problems in the city”.

DTH players say the numbers are growing faster for them, but they are not sure whether they will be able to complete installation before the deadline. But, they say an extension of the deadline will not help.

“When CAS (conditional access system) was introduced, many people woke up only after their favourite channels were blacked out. We expect the same thing to happen this time too,” says Shashi Arora, CEO (DTH and Media), Bharti Airtel.

Business Line : Industry & Economy / Info-tech : At least 20% of TV homes may go blank

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock