BARC Ratings Week 47 (2020)

They are totally surving on serials. If they don't make deals with film studios for old and new films. Its tough for them
Look at Zee Keralam, they also lacks a good movie library. With fictions, they are stepping towards 2nd position. Sun Bangla, Sony Marathi shown notable improvements by appearing in top 5. Colors Tamil is still far away from top 5. Big disappointment...!

Look at Zee Keralam, they also lacks a good movie library. With fictions, they are stepping towards 2nd position. Sun Bangla, Sony Marathi shown notable improvements by appearing in top 5. Colors Tamil is still far away from top 5. Big disappointment...!
No I don't agree. Well I agree on colors Tamil team failure. But malayalam and Bangla market are less crowded compared to Tamil. In malayalam there are only 5 to 6 GEC so one or the other way you will always be in top.

No I don't agree. Well I agree on colors Tamil team failure. But malayalam and Bangla market are less crowded compared to Tamil. In malayalam there are only 5 to 6 GEC so one or the other way you will always be in top.
Consider the market size also. Crowd doesn't matter. The best ones from it can rise up. Tamil market is as much as large like hindi so that Colors Tamil able to catch audience. I am not saying Colors to be No:1 or No:2. Atleast they should enter in top 5.

But malayalam and Bangla market are less crowded compared to Tamil.
Tamilnadu population is so huge and also only very few GECs air fresh contents, most of the other GECs just air movies, songs, comedy clips.. Only Sun, Vijay, Zee and Colors air original serials!

GECs like Jaya, Kalaignar,Polimer,Raj are airing only repeated movies and shows, not even fresh dubbed serials!

Consider the market size also. Crowd doesn't matter. The best ones from it can rise up. Tamil market is as much as large like hindi so that Colors Tamil able to catch audience. I am not saying Colors to be No:1 or No:2. Atleast they should enter in top 5.
Also Colors Tamil is airing 3 fictions for 1 hour!
6 to 7 - Naagin4
7 to 7.30 - Mangalya Sandosam
7.30 to 8.30 - Amman
8.30 to 9.30 - Ithayathai Thirudadhey
9.30 to 10.30 - Uyire

Eventhough they are airing 3 serials for one hour (Mon to sat) , they dont see any rise in their GRP!

Also Colors Tamil is airing 3 fictions for 1 hour!
6 to 7 - Naagin4
7 to 7.30 - Mangalya Sandosam
7.30 to 8.30 - Amman
8.30 to 9.30 - Ithayathai Thirudadhey
9.30 to 10.30 - Uyire

Eventhough they are airing 3 serials for one hour (Mon to sat) , they dont see any rise in their GRP!
Tamil audience are very loyal to their FAV GEC's......vijay nd zee takes yrs to come close to sun

Tamilnadu population is so huge and also only very few GECs air fresh contents, most of the other GECs just air movies, songs, comedy clips.. Only Sun, Vijay, Zee and Colors air original serials!

GECs like Jaya, Kalaignar,Polimer,Raj are airing only repeated movies and shows, not even fresh dubbed serials!
I was only saying it's not fair to compare colors Tamil with zee kerlam. Both are different markets

Most of those GECs (such as Mega, Makkal and Tamilan) are political mouthpiece channels. But there are some very old channels, like Raj and Jaya, that totally lost the plot over the years. The Kalaignar and Jaya networks have so many channels, and Jaya TV is even in HD. Yet they are not given any importance because they have failed to evolve with the times.
Besides the big players (Asianet, Mazhavil Manorama, Zee Keralam, Flowers and Surya), you also have channels such as Asianet Plus, Kairali, Amrita and Kairali We. They are also surviving on old and repeated content only.
Both Sony Marathi and Sun Bangla have realised that they are in a highly competitive market and they need to keep innovating to survive. So far they have done well, especially since they are not available in HD. (Though Sun Bangla will get HD soon, for Sony Marathi it is very unlikely, since SPN has shown no intention of launching Sony Marathi HD despite having a licence for it.) Nevertheless, they are doing pretty good, and Sony Marathi has the added advantage of having a number of non-fiction shows, something Sun Bangla can learn from.

But these two newcomers have been able to hold firm because several smaller competitors have crumbled away and become irrelevant, such as Zee Yuva in Marathi and Colors Bangla in Bengali. The fault ultimately lies with Viacom18 for not being able to maintain the good reputation that Colors Bangla and Colors Odia had with the ETV brand (I am not counting Colors Gujarati since it is a monopoly), and slowly destroying a good channel, namely Colors Marathi.

If Viacom18 could not run its existing GECs well, it stood no chance of doing the same with Colors Tamil, which was doomed from the get-go. Sony Marathi, Zee Keralam and Sun Bangla all started from scratch, came from behind and are now enjoying some success, but not Colors Tamil. The only success for Viacom18 is Colors Kannada and to a small extent Colors Super. The merger with Sony would have been beneficial for the Colors regional channels, but alas that will never happen. Viacom18 recently appointed a new head for Colors Bangla, Gujarati, Odia and Tamil, but I think it is a kind of punishment to give him the worst-performing channels.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock