Dish tv offers 70 basic channels free in 4Metro

maja avi gayo but I not part of Metro city & future digitization phase customer. I am from Pune. :)

Vikram said:
Dreamdth Link Add in First Post...
Why did you do that dear brother vikram, as i posted there the external link of the source. may i know why did you edit that.:hello

The offer, restricted to new Dish TV subscribers, will include all Doordarshan channels, 9X, Zee Smile, B4U Movies, Cinema TV, News Express, P7News and 9XM. It also has three international channels like NHK World, Russia Today DW-TV Asia+.

customers will have to pay Rs 1590 for buying a Dish TV STBs and subsequently have to recharge their account with one of the basic packages twice a year to avail of the pay channels. The cheapest non-south basic package Dish TV offers is the Family pack which is available at Rs 200 for a six-month period (The family pack is priced at Rs. 200 per month).

According to an executive from a rival DTH operator, Dish TV's new offer is akin to DD Direct Plus (Doordarshan's free subscription DTH offering) which offers similar channels and that too at a one time investment of buying a STB. "Customers who want free-to-air channels can opt for DD Direct Plus since they don't have to pay for recharging apart from the STB," the executive said requesting anonymity. Besides, Dish TV has the satellite co-location advantage with DD Direct Plus, the executive added.

Tata Sky managing director Harit Nagpal said that the Dish TV offer is just a re-packaging of an old offer. He also felt that the package is devoid of a competitive advantage since it consists of FTA channels which is also available on DD Direct Plus.

Indiantelevision.com's > Digital Edge> Digitisation: Dish TV's offensive short of price war

New initiative to be ARPU accretive in medium-term: Dish TV

DTH major Dish TV has launched a new initiative under which its new subscribers will be able to watch more than 70 channels for Rs 400 for a year. RC Venkatesh, chief executive officer, Dish TV says the product is average revenue per user (ARPU) accretive in the medium-term, about six-nine months.

Below is the edited transcript of his interview with CNBC-TV18's Sonia Shenoy.

Q: What is the rationale behind this particular scheme? How would it make Dish TV more competitive going ahead?

A: We have been working on this product for quite sometime. The product has been extensively researched on our existing database. There is a lot of customer angst, when the TV completely goes blank. That happens when the recharge drops below zero or drops to zero. So, the stickiness improves because the customer irritation is reduced. He sees value in the box. The propensity for churn is substantially reduced amongst the customers.

This product is ARPU accretive in the medium-term, about six-nine months. It actually reduces the propensity to churn. That is the rationale behind that. It is also providing a lot of comfort to the customer and a lot of positive value. I don’t think there will be any price war because we have not reduced the price of our entry packs or any other packs. All those packs are being offered at the same price.

The important benefit, which we will get, is we would be able to target the cable customers.

Q: The concern is that analysts have is that if the pick of the scheme is significant then it may lead to some pressure on ARPUs in the immediate-term. Where are ARPUs currently? Do you expect any kind of pressure?

A: No. We have already measured the impact on a fairly extensive sample of almost close to about 60,000 internal customers. The impact on ARPUs is negligible, less than 0.5%. It is more than compensated by the reduction in the churn metrics. So, we believe it’s actually accretive for ARPU in the medium-term.

Q: How will this help increase your subscriber addition?

A: When the customer has to evaluate between different offers either between other DTH companies and cable, against other DTH companies, there is a significant benefit for no extra cost. He is getting those additional facilities, even if he forgets to recharge or he is travelling or something, his TV doesn’t go completely blank. He always sees value in set-top box. Vis-à-vis cable, it’s a benefit because customer again fails to recharge. So, this is fairly unique position that we have adopted. We believe that will create that differentiation.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock